shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!!! Is this diamond good or bad?

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
i can see the arrow like the attached.

but arrow is thick and the green circle is bigger.

is this stone good with its bad proportions of low HCA rate? thanks

2011-06-17_174259.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, hearts image shows only optical symm, not optical performance. A stone with good H&A image can still perform badly due to leakage.

Again, as above advice, view it in side by side comparison with a better proportioned stone in different lighting conditions, not just the store lighting conditions.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Stonce Cold, so you mean this stone with 4.8 HCA does prove it is not good stone, not sparlking enough, even it is clear with less inclusion and H&A is seen? Thanks

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
oic. thanks

so if one stone of H SI2 3EX with 1.6 / 1.4 HCA are available, then are they better than my stone?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on how much averaging and rounding of numbers by GIA and your preference. That is why since you can see the stone personally, compare it with others. Numbers are only averaged and rounded, will not tell use much more than what we already told you.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Honestly, i wonder why this stone is that bad with 4.8HCA, as it is somehow sparkling under comparison.

Can you surely tell me if bad HCA rate reflect which bad the stone has in general? Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Read the article I posted in the previous page.

There are also rounding of numbers involved, GIA could have rounded the crown angle up and pavilion angle down making the HCA score worse than it is but no way of knowing which is which unless you can get us an idealscope image or a full sarin scan on the stone. Also minor facets information is missing from the input of the HCA. HCA is only used as a first rejection tool as such.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
haha...maybe i am too beginner in diamond and end up with so many questions to trouble you. haha.... :twirl:

it seems HCA is an indicator of light reflect.

for my stone, can it be solved by choosnig the ring with less hinderance at its bottom and pavilion part?

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't know if the diamonds was 6400 before or after tax so I just thought I would throw some diamonds out at you from BGD. You also get a pricescope discount call for price, and depending where you live there would not be taxes added to the price.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104045953023

BGD BLUES there is more info on the sight

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104052029004

I love this one

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050981015

If budget is really tight a classic solitaire setting

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5351

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
any nice guys can help give me advice for decision? thanks

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the HCA does not score well for the diamond you originally posted but that does not necessarily mean it is 'bad'. But if you are buying just from the numbers, it is safer to go with a diamond that scores better on the HCA. If you have images, idealscope images, etc, the HCA is not important.

I would take Dreamer's advice and compare this diamond with some other diamonds (make sure to do so in different lighting) and see what you are the most drawn to!

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
slg47, If you have images, idealscope images, etc, the HCA is not important -------------------- image means what? means my previous attachment of H&A? thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nimdomin, the advice you seek is already all in this thread. Read the answers again carefully :)) I am not sure what more information you want?

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
haha...sorry about that trouble to you all

i just feel strange why that bad HCA stone can still be sparkling under comparison....soooo strange :read:

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
one more question, is this stone clean enough? from the GIA report, the inclusions are less and even small in size, right? when compared to other similar clarity, it seems really much more clean. Thanks!

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Also, i have read some messages to state that H&A represents the stone is in good cutting and good light reflection, so i feel so odd why HCA is that bad rating with this nice cutting stone. it seem so contradictory in Ex cutting, H&A and HCA.

Which index i should trust most?! thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
All that matters is that you cannot see the inclusions in a correctly graded SI1 stone like this one. You have seen it, we have not, so only you can judge that!

The HCA tool is one among many, including your own eyes. Other tools include an idealscope, and the lab report grade. You decide which tool you want to use and how much you care about the results of each one. Stone already told you that the H&A designation does not guarantee good optics. *Most* true H&A stones are well cut by even the most picky standards, but this stone you have, if a true H&A (and we cannot know that without seeing the hearts and arrows images for outselves, small discrepancies exclude a stone from that designation so it is not enough for an amature to look at the stone and think he sees the hearts and arrows pattern), is not cut to the exacting standards that many on PS have.

All diamonds shine and sparkle. The HCA score is not saying this stone is horrible. The GIA would not give a horrible stone an Ex cut grade. All the HCA is saying is that the proportions are not meeting its criteria for being a really well cut stone. If you care about the HCA score, which some do and some do not, then this matters and you can look for a stone that scores below 2 and compare to this one you are considering. Or you can decide you do not care about the HCA and care more about the GIA score. It is up to you. You need to compare this diamond to others and decide for yourself. As we have said a couple times ;)) That is the only answer you can get -- compare this stone to other GIA Ex cuts with different proprotions and make up your mind.

If you want more answers, please read the articles that people have linked for you in this thread. You are of course not bothering anyone with your questions, but we have tried to answer you in different ways but you are still puzzled, so I think maybe doing some reading on your own would help you out more than asking us the same things and getting the same answers repeated 8)

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
As to why this diamond looked so sparkly even though it has a HCA score of 4.8; perhaps you are comparing it to other diamonds which are even more poorly cut and would score even lower on the HCA. Plus all jewelry stores use lighting that will make even gravel look very sparkly. This is why we advise people to look at diamonds in many different lights. It is easier to spot a diamond that isn't well cut because it simply does not sparkle as much as a well cut diamond. And you have to train your eyes by looking at many diamonds, they all look pretty good at first. Just realize that there better cut diamonds than this particular diamond.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much.

i have checked the stone again. the black spot can only be seen from side view. despite of this spot, it seems very clear at all other parts. So do you think it is big bad?

i have also compared it with other same grade H SI1 stone with 0.9 HCA. yes, i admit it has difference but seem very very very little difference in my mind. for other higher clarity like VS grade, it does have differences. Maybe it is because of clarity difference, right?

it seems that my budget hinders me much to choose other stones. what i can choose is the stone much more sparkling but with some clear defects that i can see from naked eyes, maybe i am getting to be expert to see thru stone. once i can see the defects on surface by my naked eyes. i will reject it. Is this rejection correct?

anyone can help me? thank you

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
I think nimdomin is having a little joke on everyone :Up_to_something:

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm not making joke. I just dont know what stone i should choose....it is hard job to choose the best stone.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and apologize for causing you all troubles and making you all feeling unwell.

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
I thought you were having a joke since you did not take the advice of those who replied to your posts.

Basically, what the others said is that the amount of inclusions does not effect the diamond's performance as much as the diamonds cut angles. That is what the HCA is scoring... how those angles could effect fire, brilliance, scintillation and spread (spread means how large the diamond looks for it's weight, not the actual circumference of the stone. Two stones could have the same exact circumference, but one could actually appear larger to the eye than the other).

They also said, that since they can not see the stone in person, they can only go by the dimensions and angles of the stone in question, and give you their best opinion based on that criteria. They said you need to judge how it looks yourself, compared to others that are GIA "excellent" cuts.

Have you clicked on the links that they have posted? To view the information in the "link" posted, click on the writing in blue, and that will open up a new window on your computer with that information.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
ickymouse, i have already read all the information provided by all helpers at once and my every replies are come from my questions in heart. Maybe you never stand on the beginner's shoes to feel what they usually face, so you cant understand the beginners' feeling.

Anyway, i sincerely thank for all your help, though i do feel a bit disappointed on some of your feedbacks on my questions.

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
We are all beginners at some point in our lives.

Can you go to the library, or a bookstore and find a book or two on diamond buying?

You can get a lot of information by reading the education section of this site. Also, here are a couple of sites that can give you a lot of information on diamonds, just for beginners and even for not so beginners...

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds/diamond-education

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/NewCutGrading/

Also, we now have the advantage of video, and goodoldgold.com has a lot of educational videos to watch on youtube or vimeo.

My best advice would be to read whatever you can find on the subject, and then read some more, and study the videos.

It is hard for any of us to understand terms and references when we don't understand the basic language specific to that subject matter. In other words... It is like learning music, or sewing, or medicine. These subjects have specific terms peculiar to them , and people in those fields, will use these terms without defining them, assuming they are being understood. When we learn music, we need to know the definitions of certain terms peculiar to music, ie, notes, meter, rhythm, etc. Without knowledge of these basic terms, when the teacher refers to them, we would all get confused.

I think if you can educate yourself more on some basic terms concerning diamonds, you will be able to ask more specific questions about them, and folks here will better able to help you.

As you can see, with all the time PSer's have spent answering your posts and others (without compensation), we are all willing to help, we just need to understand better exactly what it is you are asking.

nimdomin

Rough_Rock
ice, thanks for your generosity and help.

i'm learning much more now. thanks for ur info.

bridecat

Rough_Rock
If you are concerned have you looked at any other GIA stones in a smaller carat?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Nimdomin, If you tell us your budget and what your requirements are for clarity, carat, and color, we could have a look for stones that are well cut for you. ::)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
nimdomin|1308418667|2949029 said:
Thank you so much.

i have checked the stone again. the black spot can only be seen from side view. despite of this spot, it seems very clear at all other parts. So do you think it is big bad?

whether or not this is bad depends on your definitions of good and bad. will it bother you to know that it is there? if not, then it is not a problem. if it will bother you, then go with a different stone or go to higher clarity.

i have also compared it with other same grade H SI1 stone with 0.9 HCA. yes, i admit it has difference but seem very very very little difference in my mind. for other higher clarity like VS grade, it does have differences. Maybe it is because of clarity difference, right?

probably not because of clarity difference if yours is eye-clean. does yours have clouds? sometimes SI clouds can impact brilliance. it also could be because one of the diamonds is dirty.

it seems that my budget hinders me much to choose other stones. what i can choose is the stone much more sparkling but with some clear defects that i can see from naked eyes, maybe i am getting to be expert to see thru stone. once i can see the defects on surface by my naked eyes. i will reject it. Is this rejection correct?

it is 'correct' if that is important to you. some people are OK with visible inclusions. you need to decide what is important to you. if you post your budget/preferred specs we can help you find some good candidates for comparison.

anyone can help me? thank you

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results