shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Is the Tiffany Ring Worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slidelljake

Rough_Rock
So my girlfriend has fallen in love with the Tiffany Novo setting. She says the name is not important to her as much as the setting and wanting a 1 carat diamond. Why the 1 carat minimum, who knows.

Being young industrial engineer working my way through grad school I feel a little squeezed with the 10k+ Tiffany is wanting for the ring. I would like to stay in the 5k to the 7.5k range.

I''ve looked at the Blue Nile Nouveau setting but am scared about purchasing online. What diamonds would be comparable to ones Tiffany use? It may have been the lighting, but their rings looked brilliant compared to the Leo Diamonds and the such.

Lauren Q

Rough_Rock
Hello,

You will find a beautiful ring online. I suggest starting with the diamond first. To stay along the lines of what you saw, try D-F color and VS1 clarity. Post the diamond specs and we can take it from there.

ajoeschmo

Rough_Rock
Slidelljake, you can get a nice ideal-cut stone that''s just shy of 1ct (that looks just like 1ct) for $5500-ish and a platinum setting for $1500 and you have a beautiful ring for a fraction of what you''d spend at Tiffany.

TripleG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tiffany settings will look great on the website, but so will almost anyone who puts a professional picture online. I got my ring from BlueNile and couldnt be happier. There are other very reputable online vendors commonly mentioned here as well that do excellent jobs. Not to dissway you from Tiffany''s but think of it as buying the name and not neccessarily the quality. Yes they do have some quality diamonds, but so do the other online vendors and you will end up paying much less because they do not have to pay for all the overhead and the name brand of having a store. For 10k, you should be fine getting a 1 carat, excellent quality with the ring. Remember the cut is more important than the size and clarity and color.. so meaning Im sure your future FI would want it to sparkle without issue rather than have absolutely the size she wants. You probably wont notice a difference from 0.9 carats to 1 carats. But I do understand to some they want to be able to say "1 carat" when someone asks them how big is it. So I''m not saying go away from that by any means, but just to keep that in mind.

Also, Tiffany will carry some diamonds of quality that some of the online vendors simply do not because they dont consider it a high enough quality. Where as Tiffany and some other regular stores will to ensure they can still sell to a client that wants the name, but isnt as picky about the quality.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:47:15 PM
Author: Lauren Q
Hello,

You will find a beautiful ring online. I suggest starting with the diamond first. To stay along the lines of what you saw, try D-F color and VS1 clarity. Post the diamond specs and we can take it from there.

???

That doesn''t really make sense-Tiffany sells down to I and SI1 diamonds these days...

OP: You can do better elsewhere. If you need a cushion start with Mark at Engagement Rings Direct or Jon at Good Old Gold. They are known for finding amazing cushions.

And Tiffany''s is part lighting and part having very nicely CUT diamonds. With cushions especially it''s very hard to find nicely cut ones-Bluenile will be no help. Start with Mark and Jon.

slidelljake

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input. Yall are making me more comfortable about purchasing online.

The setting I''ve found through searching other posts is the Blue Nile Nouveau Setting

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_7798?filter_id=1

Now on the site it says that it is only designed to accept a round or asscher cut. The girlfriend originally wanted a round cut but after seeing the cushion fell in love with that.

If I were to buy the diamond and setting separately would a jeweler be able to set a cushion diamond in that setting?

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi the Novo is a patented cut so you won''t find it elsewhere.

It''s very similar to GOG''s sq. H&A stones but not exact. The pricing might be very close to Tiffany''s anyway but u have a wider selection of lower colors/clarity which could land u a bigger stone.

Now there''s the issue of the setting. There are decent replica''s to be had out there by IMO nothing stacks up against Tiffany''s settings for the proportions, etc.....

Some people find the top a bit on the heavy side and prongs thick. I do think you need a large stone to make the proportions work.

Perhaps spmething in the above 1 carat to 1.2 range or it can look like a RB instead. Actually I think closer to 1.5 is ideal having seen it in the store.

I''ve seen setting by Ritani, Maytal, Excel, Leon, etc......They are all different to one degree or another.

I''m having the same quandry as well.......

For ur price range it makes much more sense to go custom.

But somehow I am not fond of the idea of replica but that''s just me
1.gif

MatchMadeInCarbon

Rough_Rock
Hey slidelljake,

You can definitely find a great ring with what you''re working with. I''m in a similar situation (and like the same setting btw). If you''re like what I was, you (or your gf) may not have seen all there is out there to see. Like the others have said, you should prioritize the diamond first as that''ll be the most unique portion (unless you get a custom ring) as well as the largest part of your budget.

As neatfreak said, those two (Mark & Jon) are highly regarded on these forums, especially for their cushions. I''ve seen many of Jon''s videos and saw some of his cushions in person- they are amazing. I''ll let you look for yourself. I''m sure he''ll have something within your range at some point.

(this is what I''m planning to do) with the setting, approach various vendors (including the pricescope vendors- as you can see who''s reputable here) to see what settings they have that''re similar to the Tiffany''s one. You may find something you like even better as there''s a lot out there. I''m starting to wonder if I can afford to get a setting created to incorporate the various details I like from different settings I''ve seen.

best of luck- stick to PS as it''s a huge wealth of information as well as a good hub for more info.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:28:55 PM
Author:slidelljake
So my girlfriend has fallen in love with the Tiffany Novo setting. She says the name is not important to her as much as the setting and wanting a 1 carat diamond. Why the 1 carat minimum, who knows.

Being young industrial engineer working my way through grad school I feel a little squeezed with the 10k+ Tiffany is wanting for the ring. I would like to stay in the 5k to the 7.5k range.

I've looked at the Blue Nile Nouveau setting but am scared about purchasing online. What diamonds would be comparable to ones Tiffany use? It may have been the lighting, but their rings looked brilliant compared to the Leo Diamonds and the such.

To quote Madame Bijoux

"The salesman said that the Novo is basically a round brilliant with square corners. If that's what they were really trying to do, they've made the tables too large. Don't know why Tif's bothered with this cut."

Lots of places do great copies of of the Tiffany novo so you don't need to buy from them and pay the premium.

I would not use Bluenile as you can get the same diamonds(I mean the exact same diamond) from a PS vendor like Mark at engagementringsdirect or Bob at Whiteflash (they will look at them by eye for you beforehand unlike BN) and for cheaper and they can custom design a ring for you as well. If you want a close copy they can both do them.

1) But you should decide if the precise cut of the novo is what you want see the picture below. Now the pictures has much different lighting but you can see the facet patterns are similar.
If you really want a Square Cushion HA like the novo then you can get it here http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4946/ but you won't be saving much money over buying the ring at tiffany's. (Although the optics of the diamond will be better).

You need to make several choices here:

1) Do you want the stone to have hearts and arrows and look like a round? Or have a more square cushion look?
2) Do you want a modern or antique cushion. (see here for a picture of an antique stone https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-wired-the-deposit-to-erd.123205/)
2) Do you like square with rounded edges or a very roundish stone?
3) Do you want a precise copy of the novo ring style?, pave band and the same prongs or do you want to customize it a bit?
-----------------------------------------------------

If you want a pretty good copy within your budget call mark at ERD tell him you want a copy of the novo. He can do both the diamond and ring for you and send you cad images of the ring prior to creation which you can customize. His prices are also excellent.

For diamonds Bob at WF or Mark at ERD could pull in any of these or suggest similar and both including the novo setting custom made should be within your budget. The list below are all modern 8 main thin cushion brilliants with almost perfect square shape with rounded corners all from the same cutter. I know this cutter so I have pretty good idea of the look of these (see below) and I bet you can get better prices from a ERD or WF than what are listed from BN. Send them these links and they will know what you are after.

1) http://www.bluenile.ca/cushion-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-h-colour-if-clarity_LD01292449?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0#grading_report

2) http://www.bluenile.ca/cushion-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-f-colour-vs1-clarity_LD01490885?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

3) http://www.bluenile.ca/cushion-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-f-colour-vs2-clarity_LD01493182?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0#grading_report

There are probably others they can find for you that would also be within 7500 including the setting but I tried to stick to 1 carat and above, with similar style(8 main thin cushion brilliant) to tiffany novo, from the cutter I know and in a safe colour and clarity range.

Good-luck

CCL

8mainversusnovo.jpg

Darthkim

Rough_Rock
Here is one that I ordered from GOG. It is similar to the Tiffany Novo setting, but with a round brilliant.

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/46574/catid/298

If you want to see some of those pictures, just search for my name, you'll see a post with a bunch of pictures and such.

as far as the advice on the stone, check out the Jubilee cut from GOG. I did consider a cushion cut, but the Jubilee wasn't around when I purchased last fall.

Good luck!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Side by side comparison of round with pave band versus novo.

novoversusgog.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To give you another option, my cousin just had a beautiful cushion sent to her, but sent it back because she wants a larger one (which she ordered) it was an I SI and under 6K and it was over a carat (don't remember the exact numbers sorry)-- but I do remeber that it was almost 6.5 square (and I remember that cause I noticed that's bigger than my diiamond by .5 on each side). It was a new BGD cushion and frankly it was stunning, I had it with me in Tiffany's actually a couple weeks ago. And it held it's own against Novo's easily. You can call BGD and ask if they still have it. It's one of two prototypes so they will probably know which one it is. Plus they have a ton of round super ideals, if that's the way you want to go too.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ is their website (still under construction, though parts are up and running if you click about)

And they have this setting which to me looks like a Novo type setting. It's called the Novela. Here's the pic of the setting. Good luck! She'll love whatever you pick though, and you can't lose with any of the vendor's suggested!

ETA; Tiffany carries I color, and the SI was completely eyeclean face up (as noted by many PSers, if that matters any).

BrianGavin-_Novela6.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:28:55 PM
Author:slidelljake

I''ve looked at the Blue Nile Nouveau setting but am scared about purchasing online. What diamonds would be comparable to ones Tiffany use? It may have been the lighting, but their rings looked brilliant compared to the Leo Diamonds and the such.
Oh and to answer your topic question... then answer is "it depends on the person." And you answered THAT in the highlighted part of your post.

For a few of their designs, yes, I think Tiffany is the best place to go. For the Novo... not so much. Not a branded cut. Settings been made into hundreds of ''inspired by'' versions. Over all... you''d get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

The things you are losing by going another route is: bragging rights, a markup on the price tag, and resell value. A Tiffany ring will hold it''s resell value better than any other suggested on this thread. But normally... for guys proposing that''s not a huge concern. At least... we hope not. LOL.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/18/2009 11:30:03 PM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
Is it? I keep noticing people are writing this fact numerous times already on PS..., but never thought it is a patented "cut".

rickdeckard

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 3:25:44 AM
Author: Gypsy
To give you another option, my cousin just had a beautiful cushion sent to her, but sent it back because she wants a larger one (which she ordered) it was an I SI and under 6K and it was over a carat (don''t remember the exact numbers sorry)-- but I do remeber that it was almost 6.5 square (and I remember that cause I noticed that''s bigger than my diiamond by .5 on each side). It was a new BGD cushion and frankly it was stunning, I had it with me in Tiffany''s actually a couple weeks ago. And it held it''s own against Novo''s easily. You can call BGD and ask if they still have it. It''s one of two prototypes so they will probably know which one it is. Plus they have a ton of round super ideals, if that''s the way you want to go too.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ is their website (still under construction, though parts are up and running if you click about)

And they have this setting which to me looks like a Novo type setting. It''s called the Novela. Here''s the pic of the setting. Good luck! She''ll love whatever you pick though, and you can''t lose with any of the vendor''s suggested!

ETA; Tiffany carries I color, and the SI was completely eyeclean face up (as noted by many PSers, if that matters any).

this brian gavin ring is awesome !

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I suggest you take your girlfriend to different jewelry stores and look at different settings. If I had to pick from the standard Tiffany erings, I would easily select the Novo design. However, having seen the endless options - I would not consider the Novo partially because I am not fond of the prongs and the basket. The novo diamond is nothing special in my mind - I have seent 5 novos up close (from friends) and plenty more in the store ... none of them compared to the cushions I have seen with Mark at ERD and Jon at GOG.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 4:27:23 AM
Author: DiaGem

Hi the Novo is a patented cut so you won't find it elsewhere.
Is it? I keep noticing people are writing this fact numerous times already on PS..., but never thought it is a patented 'cut'.
It has already been noted numerous times that the plain Square Cushion HA is not proprietary.
Tiffany's does not hold a patent for this cut of diamond specifically I asked a while ago. They may be marketing it as "unique" but other than the crown facets rotated 1/2 notch so there are no corner kite facets but two kite facets per side on some of them there is nothing unique about it. Definitely not enough that they attempt to claim it is proprietary.

Patented also is probably not accurate unless they specifically protect the cut (as I mentioned before the Birks/Mayors Amorique which is a Square Cushion HA with 70 facets is patent protected.) Whereas Tiffany's have never claimed to own a patent in their advertising but I bet they do have some sort of copy protection on the entire Novo ring and the name. The novo has 57-58(culet) facets so nothing unique about their cut.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
To give you another option, my cousin just had a beautiful cushion sent to her, but sent it back because she wants a larger one (which she ordered) it was an I SI and under 6K and it was over a carat (don''t remember the exact numbers sorry)-- but I do remeber that it was almost 6.5 square (and I remember that cause I noticed that''s bigger than my diiamond by .5 on each side). It was a new BGD cushion and frankly it was stunning, I had it with me in Tiffany''s actually a couple weeks ago. And it held it''s own against Novo''s easily. You can call BGD and ask if they still have it. It''s one of two prototypes so they will probably know which one it is. Plus they have a ton of round super ideals, if that''s the way you want to go too.

And they have this setting which to me looks like a Novo type setting. It''s called the Novela. Here''s the pic of the setting. Good luck! She''ll love whatever you pick though, and you can''t lose with any of the vendor''s suggested!

Looks like they improved on the prongs in the BGD and made it look better. What would they charge for an I SI1 1 Carat at TIffany''s?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll just add this.
One of my neighbors has a Tiffany ring.

They are having money problems and considered selling it.
They were sick when they found out how little they could sell it for.

I said with the name recognition you should do better than trying to sell a unbranded diamond.
Sure you pay more but can sell it for more so it is a wash.

They said, "OH NO! We researched that and it doesn't work out.
If you paid a 30% premium for it you will NOT get anywhere near 30% more selling it used.
It may sell faster than a no-name diamond but when buying used people want a good deal.

They now regret buying from Tiffany.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Novo is not proprietary. It's not like the Lucida.

Also Tiffany doesn't carry SI diamonds, though that may have changed (I'm not a Tiffany groupie so I don't know every new development). They carry I diamonds though, because I tried one on.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock

Is it? I keep noticing people are writing this fact numerous times already on PS..., but never thought it is a patented ''cut''.
According to the SA and personal shopper at the S. Coast Plaza store it is.

I know there are other cuts that are similar but they claim it''s theirs.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 10:42:27 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Looks like they improved on the prongs in the BGD and made it look better. What would they charge for an I SI1 1 Carat at TIffany''s?
Hi CCL, I think the 1 ct I SI goes for something like 12K.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 11:10:06 AM
Novo is not proprietary. It''s not like the Lucida.

Also Tiffany doesn''t carry SI diamonds, though that may have changed (I''m not a Tiffany groupie so I don''t know every new development). They carry I diamonds though, because I tried one on.
They just started carrying SI. Last few months. But there aren''t many in their stock yet.

My guess is you''d have to have them call these in.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 11:52:20 AM

Is it? I keep noticing people are writing this fact numerous times already on PS..., but never thought it is a patented ''cut''.

Then why don''t you ask the SA what it is that is unique about it?

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I know for a fact that ERD does an outstanding Novo setting - a good friend of mine got it for his now fiance and it is stupendous.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
If you prefer the DEF VS1 range, that is fine. You could also look at GH VS2, SI1 diamonds and find a stunning stone that will fit your budget. Make sure that the diamond is eyeclean to your standards. As others have said, the most important thing is the cut quality. That is what will make that stone sparkle like crazy
1.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 11:54:52 AM

Date: 8/19/2009 10:42:27 AM

To give you another option, my cousin just had a beautiful cushion sent to her, but sent it back because she wants a larger one (which she ordered) it was an I SI and under 6K and it was over a carat (don't remember the exact numbers sorry)-- but I do remeber that it was almost 6.5 square (and I remember that cause I noticed that's bigger than my diiamond by .5 on each side). It was a new BGD cushion and frankly it was stunning, I had it with me in Tiffany's actually a couple weeks ago. And it held it's own against Novo's easily. You can call BGD and ask if they still have it. It's one of two prototypes so they will probably know which one it is. Plus they have a ton of round super ideals, if that's the way you want to go too.

And they have this setting which to me looks like a Novo type setting. It's called the Novela. Here's the pic of the setting. Good luck! She'll love whatever you pick though, and you can't lose with any of the vendor's suggested!

Looks like they improved on the prongs in the BGD and made it look better. What would they charge for an I SI1 1 Carat at TIffany's?
Hi CCL, I think the 1 ct I SI goes for something like 12K.
Well if price is an issue:

1) Tiffany Novo (Blue Box, SI1(which may be eye clean), no guarantee on optical performance and the same general facet as square cushion HA) 12K.
2) Square Cushion HA from GOG 1.08 VVS1 + Pave Band like Tiffany Novo Setting = Under 10k (Guaranteed Hearts and Arrows(proven by ASET, IS and Hearts Viewer, similar setting, guaranteed ) Under $10000.
3) Modern Cushion 8 Main Brilliant + Pave band like Novo Setting ($7000 - 8000) from WF or ERD.
4) WF ACA Round 1.11Ct I VS1 with Legato Micropave Setting (Perfect Hearts and Arrows as well, and reflector tests shown) (Under 7500 with PS discount).

Take your pick OP.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 12:00:58 PM

Date: 8/19/2009 11:52:20 AM

Then why don''t you ask the SA what it is that is unique about it?
I will when and if I get more serious about it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 12:26:18 PM
Well if price is an issue:

1) Tiffany Novo (Blue Box, SI1(which may be eye clean), no guarantee on optical performance and the same general facet as square cushion HA) 12K.
2) Square Cushion HA from GOG 1.08 VVS1 + Pave Band like Tiffany Novo Setting = Under 10k (Guaranteed Hearts and Arrows(proven by ASET, IS and Hearts Viewer, similar setting, guaranteed ) Under $10000.
3) Modern Cushion 8 Main Brilliant + Pave band like Novo Setting ($7000 - 8000) from WF or ERD.
4) WF ACA Round 1.11Ct I VS1 with Legato Micropave Setting (Perfect Hearts and Arrows as well, and reflector tests shown) (Under 7500 with PS discount).

Take your pick OP.
Yeah CCL.... I don't think those are all the options. As many have mentioned ERD has produced some amazing cushions and carries a Novo type setting so do some other vendors, including BGD. So... while those may be the options IN YOUR OPINION... they way you've stated it is slightly misleading. There are many options for Jake, and he shouldn't feel restricted by even those offered on this thread. For example if he does decide on a round, HPD and Dimend Scassi might be vendors to add to the list of those for him to explore as they are Infinity vendors.

The best advice I can offer is to reach A) decide if you want a cushion or a round. B) THEN, call up the vendors recommended on here and ask them to propose something in your budget for you that meets your criteria (Novo style setting and one carat stone of ___ shape). Make sure you compare the vendor's policies related to buy backs, upgrades, etc before you make a decision. As well their return policy.

As for re-sell. I agree Kenny, the slight bump in resell value doesn't make up for the initial markup in my book either.

Lisa, call up a couple of different stores and talk to sales floor managers and tell them you want accurate information. Sometimes, an SA (or an enitre branch) can have incorrect or misleading information. Just because the facet pattern isn't one carried by many other vendors doesn't mean it's a patented proprietary cut. There are some shades of gray in there and your SA or branch may not understand the differences in the shades.

slidelljake

Rough_Rock

Well the girlfriend told me that she really likes the cushion cut, and and after seeing the Brian Gavin "Novela" ring I think that may be the one.

I guess I''ve always been under the impression that going to a private jeweler would be more expensive.

Now I do still have reservations about buying online, with everyones comments about the different vendors on the website its made me a little less skeptical about doing so.

I spoke with a coworker today who bought the diamond online, but then went to a local jeweler to purchase a setting and to have it set. He purchased his through blue nile and mentioned that he had read and heard that their settings are subpar. Anyone else heard this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results