shape
carat
color
clarity

Help I think my ring new set is too big and blingy for remote rural ranch life

Keep the stone set in the new setting or remounting into a simple bezel setting ?

• Sell that and put the money toward something practical are you nuts!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best advice is to live with it a bit - your eyes will become accustomed to the size and it won’t seem nearly as big as it does now. If you and your husband love it, keep it as is. While I understand your hesitation, you really don’t have to explain it to anyone or feel that you have to apologize for it. Enjoy it!!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it. It‘s fabulous but looks secure and comfortable. If it gets in the way of working, wear just your wedding ring, which is also fabulous. You will get used to it. Your husband is proud of it. I think wearing it for a while will ease your mind. Keep it clean and enjoy your beautiful ring.

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Best advice is to live with it a bit - your eyes will become accustomed to the size and it won’t seem nearly as big as it does now. If you and your husband love it, keep it as is. While I understand your hesitation, you really don’t have to explain it to anyone or feel that you have to apologize for it. Enjoy it!!

You are so right I immediately apologize and say it was t expensive which is weird huh? Maybe I feel guilty if someone says they’re jealous? I really love for everyone to have Sparklies faux or real if they enjoy them I never want to make anyone feel bad …
You get it … thank you

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
I love it. It‘s fabulous but looks secure and comfortable. If it gets in the way of working, wear just your wedding ring, which is also fabulous. You will get used to it. Your husband is proud of it. I think wearing it for a while will ease your mind. Keep it clean and enjoy your beautiful ring.

Great advice! I feel lucky and blessed
Thank you so much

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, what a wonderful forum of lovely folks … although this is my first thread I confess Ive been lurking and catching sight of some amazing eye candy and reading some sound advice for sometime now .

Thank you to everyone for sharing in advance.
I probably sound like a crazy person but I sure could use some help …
Here goes …I’ve just had a custom set made up to house my oval diamond, my husband does not like a solitaire says it needs a halo and blingtastic big look .. he choose this setting… it looks cool for sure but now my ring is out of control blingtastic and I’m feeling like how can I wear this everyday ? It feels over the top for where and how we live .

We live in a rural ranching community, we live on a small remote ranch …
So boots , faded jeans and cowboy hats are style … should I reset this ?

So many folks are feeling the squeeze of the economy ( us too) maybe this ring is just too ostentatious for the times? Borderline rude?

The 15F578E8-5B35-43BF-9D66-7726025D7961.jpeg ring looks so expensive but it really wasn’t
The center stone is a 3ct Hpht treated natural earth mined bought secondary market ( 1/3 cost of untreated same specs diamond ) the setting was custom made but it was quite affordable.

So all said we’re still within our means and within the means of local folks though they would t know it by looking …we didn’t need to use credit and we are actually under what most would have spent on a 1.5ct rbc

But I think it really looks way more expensive. Now I’m stressing
I don’t get into town but once a week I work home on the ranch . .. opinions please?

Seems like a simple bezel solitaire would make it look less huge and handsy friendly ..

Just got it back from setting yesterday..,

It’s already getting caught on stuff as it’s high set … maybe I need to get used to it ?

I always wanted a bigger diamond ring … now I have one . I love looking at it but feel like it’s more over the top in RL than expected ..

D9CCE448-76AE-42E3-ABC0-E130BC38F9FD.jpeg

So , should I try and just enjoy it as is or maybe reset it into a simple bezel set as shown?
Keeping in mind Husband likes the fancy settings.
sh
567C8D55-9067-476F-AD65-4E74F063A1FC.jpeg D5DF602D-BF55-43B2-92DA-82725B257F7A.jpeg

I agree with you, this ring is beautiful but impractical for everyday use. I also like the idea of a bezel set ring.

For instance, this bezel is beautiful and practical. I love the milgrain surrounding the center stone and the side stones. It also has some flash, just not as much as the ring your husband prefers. Ultimately, if it catches and is a safety issue you won't feel comfortable wearing it. Your ring will sit in your jewelry box not on your hand.

Personally, I prefer the bezel. However, it's not what I prefer that matters it's what you feel comfortable with!!

Attachments

• 710A85D0-311A-4CC8-9D3D-12EBD09F3F6C.jpeg
    710A85D0-311A-4CC8-9D3D-12EBD09F3F6C.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with earlier posts. Wear it in health and beauty since both you and DH like it. If its not safe (I asked my DH not to wear ring aboard ship) wear band. When people sdmire you can just agree and say how fortunate you are! Its beautiful! I lol when I read comment about, "...you'll get used to size!" After all, this is pricescope and we do love our shiney sparklies!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your new ring setting, it’s fabulous.
My setting is over the top and I love it.
Where do I wear it?
Everywhere.
Everyday walking the dogs around the suburb, bringing in the bins, going to the supermarket, heck, I vacuum wearing my diamonda.
Wear your beauty and don’t worry about others. People tend to think mine are CZ cos I’m wearing track pants and an $8 T shirt!

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Agree with earlier posts. Wear it in health and beauty since both you and DH like it. If its not safe (I asked my DH not to wear ring aboard ship) wear band. When people sdmire you can just agree and say how fortunate you are! Its beautiful! I lol when I read comment about, "...you'll get used to size!" After all, this is pricescope and we do love our shiney sparklies!
Thank you so much for the encouragement and kindness in its extension . Warm thanks !
Love your new ring setting, it’s fabulous.
My setting is over the top and I love it.
Where do I wear it?
Everywhere.
Everyday walking the dogs around the suburb, bringing in the bins, going to the supermarket, heck, I vacuum wearing my diamonda.
Wear your beauty and don’t worry about others. People tend to think mine are CZ cos I’m wearing track pants and an $8 T shirt!

your awesome! What a fabulous reply ! I love you attitude and style! Thank you !

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just had a custom set made up to house my oval diamond, my husband does not like a solitaire says it needs a halo and blingtastic big look .. he choose this setting… it looks cool for sure but now my ring is out of control blingtastic ...So many folks are feeling the squeeze of the economy ( us too) maybe this ring is just too ostentatious for the times? Borderline rude?

Maybe make the ring you want and are comfortable wearing and not the ring your husband wants? Unless he plans to wear it...? I say this as a husband and ring-buyer and -maker -- and as one who has probably made this mistake himself.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so right I immediately apologize and say it was t expensive which is weird huh? Maybe I feel guilty if someone says they’re jealous? I really love for everyone to have Sparklies faux or real if they enjoy them I never want to make anyone feel bad …
You get it … thank you

I do get it. Just say 'thank you, I've enjoyed it' and move on. People spend money in different ways - they might say they are jealous but would NEVER spend money on a diamond ring. They would probably spend their money on something that you would never consider. You and your husband have worked for it, decided on it together, and owe no apologies to anyone.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love it and would not change anything. With that said I don't wear my rings around the house anyway, especially while doing any work. I would throw them on anytime you're headed out and otherwise let them stay safe to prevent damage. If you're finger feels "naked" I would wear a plain ring that can take a beating.

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, what a wonderful forum of lovely folks … although this is my first thread I confess Ive been lurking and catching sight of some amazing eye candy and reading some sound advice for sometime now .

Thank you to everyone for sharing in advance.
I probably sound like a crazy person but I sure could use some help …
Here goes …I’ve just had a custom set made up to house my oval diamond, my husband does not like a solitaire says it needs a halo and blingtastic big look .. he choose this setting… it looks cool for sure but now my ring is out of control blingtastic and I’m feeling like how can I wear this everyday ? It feels over the top for where and how we live .

We live in a rural ranching community, we live on a small remote ranch …
So boots , faded jeans and cowboy hats are style … should I reset this ?

So many folks are feeling the squeeze of the economy ( us too) maybe this ring is just too ostentatious for the times? Borderline rude?

The 15F578E8-5B35-43BF-9D66-7726025D7961.jpeg ring looks so expensive but it really wasn’t
The center stone is a 3ct Hpht treated natural earth mined bought secondary market ( 1/3 cost of untreated same specs diamond ) the setting was custom made but it was quite affordable.

So all said we’re still within our means and within the means of local folks though they would t know it by looking …we didn’t need to use credit and we are actually under what most would have spent on a 1.5ct rbc

But I think it really looks way more expensive. Now I’m stressing
I don’t get into town but once a week I work home on the ranch . .. opinions please?

Seems like a simple bezel solitaire would make it look less huge and handsy friendly ..

Just got it back from setting yesterday..,

It’s already getting caught on stuff as it’s high set … maybe I need to get used to it ?

I always wanted a bigger diamond ring … now I have one . I love looking at it but feel like it’s more over the top in RL than expected ..

D9CCE448-76AE-42E3-ABC0-E130BC38F9FD.jpeg

So , should I try and just enjoy it as is or maybe reset it into a simple bezel set as shown?
Keeping in mind Husband likes the fancy settings.
sh
567C8D55-9067-476F-AD65-4E74F063A1FC.jpeg D5DF602D-BF55-43B2-92DA-82725B257F7A.jpeg

Another thought is to confer with a goldsmith re: options to modify ring prongs to a style less prone to snagging.

By chance your interested, here are examples of various types of ring prongs and a link to descriptions.

647EC48F-3C6D-4E2F-9846-FC16CE10E081.jpeg

Firekeepingwolf, your ring is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy wearing it everywhere, she's just too lovely to hide away in a corner!

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
I love the reset inspiration you posted... so sleek, elegant, and wearable. Your current ring does seem high and large; I can see how it might be very attention-drawing and uncomfortable for ranch wear.

My story, fwiw: I was self-conscious of a very-blingy reset that was also a bit heavy & bulky. I wore it for a year, but I never grew comfortable - both mentally and physically - with it. I like to wear my rings full-time (save for when I am doing something that poses a danger, and while sleeping) yet I found myself opting not to wear it a lot due to my discomforts. I finally made the decision to make a change to something more comfortable and wearable, and I was instantly 1000x happier.

I suppose it's nice to take DH's opinion into account, but I am not of that mind personally. I believe that the person wearing the ring makes the call on what works for them and will bring them the most pleasure. And ideally that the partner wants them to be completely happy.

Rainydaze:
I agree with you, the person receiving and wearing the ring makes the call on ring setting style, as well as the rings wearability.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my own personal perspective...

My 1.19ct EC is too blingy for everyday wear as a RHR, even when it was in its original simple solitaire bezel set setting when the norm in UK is about 0.5ct for an engagement ring.

So I had another ring made with a small EC about 0.47ct in a plain band for day to day wear on my right hand.

The big EC comes out whenever I have a dressier occasion to attend.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

sparkleandfire

Rough_Rock
Love love love the setting don’t change it! As a fellow 3 carat working ranch girl, I leave it off when working on the farm. It is def a safety issue, have you ever seen a ring get caught on some machinery or working cows? It will pull the skin right off the bone. Lots of men don’t wear one or wear one that breaks easy ( I can’t remember the technical name).Not to mention the dirt and grime that comes from being outside that can get into the ring. With that said, I love it and would wear it proudly when not working, it is beautiful and unique. I also live in a tiny rural town so people are going to talk either way, let them talk… it truly is a gorgeous piece.

Last edited:

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Maybe make the ring you want and are comfortable wearing and not the ring your husband wants? Unless he plans to wear it...? I say this as a husband and ring-buyer and -maker -- and as one who has probably made this mistake himself.

Wow great advice , I don’t want to hurt his feelings , I think the design is great but in order to wear it more often I might want to change it to a more user friendly setting .
Now how to approach the subject….hmm
I should not do it right away right?
Thanks again

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Love love love the setting don’t change it! As a fellow 3 carat working ranch girl, I leave it off when working on the farm. It is def a safety issue, have you ever seen a ring get caught on some machinery or working cows? It will pull the skin right off the bone. Lots of men don’t wear one or wear one that breaks easy ( I can’t remember the technical name).Not to mention the dirt and grime that comes from being outside that can get into the ring. With that said, I love it and would wear it proudly when not working, it is beautiful and unique. I also live in a tiny rural town so people are going to talk either way, let them talk… it truly is a gorgeous piece.

Boy howdy yes that's called a “degloving “ accident its really horrible, I will definitely keep the rings off when working or doing chores. Thank you it is a very unusual piece and my husband likes how big it makes the creatures get stone look which he calls
“the Honker”
Great and important advice, thank you

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Just my own personal perspective...

My 1.19ct EC is too blingy for everyday wear as a RHR, even when it was in its original simple solitaire bezel set setting when the norm in UK is about 0.5ct for an engagement ring.

So I had another ring made with a small EC about 0.47ct in a plain band for day to day wear on my right hand.

The big EC comes out whenever I have a dressier occasion to attend.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Well said , yes a smaller size is more appropriate for less dressy occasions though They are few and far between. Perhaps I’ll wear the band as my go to… when situation is correct to do so.
Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful reply

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Another thought is to confer with a goldsmith re: options to modify ring prongs to a style less prone to snagging.

By chance your interested, here are examples of various types of ring prongs and a link to descriptions.

Firekeepingwolf, your ring is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy wearing it everywhere, she's just too lovely to hide away in a corner!

Thank you for a very excellent response

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
I absolutely love it and would not change anything. With that said I don't wear my rings around the house anyway, especially while doing any work. I would throw them on anytime you're headed out and otherwise let them stay safe to prevent damage. If you're finger feels "naked" I would wear a plain ring that can take a beating.

Excellent ideas thank you for your thoughtful reply and excellent advice

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock

This is very good advice
The prongs seem to be ok thus far
However look at this it’s very catchy on the platform/ head /halo?
9E796F21-174E-4A1B-B261-FC6714390EFA.jpeg

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
This is very good advice
The prongs seem to be ok thus far
However look at this it’s very catchy on the platform/ head /halo?
9E796F21-174E-4A1B-B261-FC6714390EFA.jpeg

The last thing you need is to catch on everything which can loosen and damage your prongs over time.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you'd loose your diamond... Here's an example of double prongs that would work for your e-ring, second row first on the left.

A813A709-2134-47C1-96F7-DF99ADD60D63.jpeg

Last edited:

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
The last thing you need is to catch on everything which can loosen and damage your prongs over time.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you'd loose your diamond... Here's an example of double prongs that would work for your e-ring. A813A709-2134-47C1-96F7-DF99ADD60D63.jpeg

You think the prongs don’t look safe either ? yikes !
So far I’m catching things under the head of the ring which I didn’t anticipate. Maybe it can be lowered or adjusted like this ? FC80CF03-58FB-47F3-8457-50604BEFDEBD.png 15A8A46C-D58B-4350-9078-9A87B0D3768B.jpeg

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
You think the prongs don’t look safe either ? yikes !
So far I’m catching things under the head of the ring which I didn’t anticipate. Maybe it can be lowered or adjusted like this ? FC80CF03-58FB-47F3-8457-50604BEFDEBD.png 15A8A46C-D58B-4350-9078-9A87B0D3768B.jpeg

OMG, I didn't realize that... This is more complicated than I thought. Lowering the head and adjusting the prongs should resolve any issues.

Many PSers' have large diamond e-rings, I know they have experience in designing an e-ring with a large diamond.

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
OMG, I didn't realize that... This is more complicated than I thought. Lowering the head and adjusting the prongs should resolve any issues.

Many PSers' have large diamond e-rings, I know they have experience in designing an e-ring with a large diamond.

Thank you so much .. you can see I’m not just crazy lol
So we think lowering the head might help?
03D2E67C-94E6-46C5-80D7-756B2ADD87C6.jpeg

Attachments

• 86611C4D-8F1A-42DC-91D5-D4908F7CB01A.jpeg
    86611C4D-8F1A-42DC-91D5-D4908F7CB01A.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 19

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm nervous that you're already catching it on stuff, especially under the head. I think over time it might get damaged if that keeps happening. I would want the head lower for sure if I were you.

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
I'm nervous that you're already catching it on stuff, especially under the head. I think over time it might get damaged if that keeps happening. I would want the head lower for sure if I were you.

Yup that’s the truth. Now figuring how and if it makes sense or just reset into a low simple bezel setting …

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE simple, low set, smooth, comfortable bezel rings, so the setting you are thinking about gave me palpitations of delight :kiss2:

BUT

Any practical considerations aside, I honestly don't think your existing setting is too flashy at all. It's a relatively tiny part of your overall appearance and I really don't think others pay as much attention to a single ring as we do. Anyone who notices will just assume it was a lovely gift and/or jewellery is your thing.

Separate out the issues of practicality vs concerns about perception. Wear what you find beautiful and comfortable :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results