shape
carat
color
clarity

Help I think my ring new set is too big and blingy for remote rural ranch life

Keep the stone set in the new setting or remounting into a simple bezel setting ?

• Sell that and put the money toward something practical are you nuts!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, what a wonderful forum of lovely folks … although this is my first thread I confess Ive been lurking and catching sight of some amazing eye candy and reading some sound advice for sometime now .

Thank you to everyone for sharing in advance.
I probably sound like a crazy person but I sure could use some help …
Here goes …I’ve just had a custom set made up to house my oval diamond, my husband does not like a solitaire says it needs a halo and blingtastic big look .. he choose this setting… it looks cool for sure but now my ring is out of control blingtastic and I’m feeling like how can I wear this everyday ? It feels over the top for where and how we live .

We live in a rural ranching community, we live on a small remote ranch …
So boots , faded jeans and cowboy hats are style … should I reset this ?

So many folks are feeling the squeeze of the economy ( us too) maybe this ring is just too ostentatious for the times? Borderline rude?

The 15F578E8-5B35-43BF-9D66-7726025D7961.jpeg ring looks so expensive but it really wasn’t
The center stone is a 3ct Hpht treated natural earth mined bought secondary market ( 1/3 cost of untreated same specs diamond ) the setting was custom made but it was quite affordable.

So all said we’re still within our means and within the means of local folks though they would t know it by looking …we didn’t need to use credit and we are actually under what most would have spent on a 1.5ct rbc

But I think it really looks way more expensive. Now I’m stressing
I don’t get into town but once a week I work home on the ranch . .. opinions please?

Seems like a simple bezel solitaire would make it look less huge and handsy friendly ..

Just got it back from setting yesterday..,

It’s already getting caught on stuff as it’s high set … maybe I need to get used to it ?

I always wanted a bigger diamond ring … now I have one . I love looking at it but feel like it’s more over the top in RL than expected ..

D9CCE448-76AE-42E3-ABC0-E130BC38F9FD.jpeg

So , should I try and just enjoy it as is or maybe reset it into a simple bezel set as shown?
Keeping in mind Husband likes the fancy settings.
sh
567C8D55-9067-476F-AD65-4E74F063A1FC.jpeg D5DF602D-BF55-43B2-92DA-82725B257F7A.jpeg

Attachments

• 6040F191-0A9F-49F0-9BA1-F7D659151E66.jpeg
    6040F191-0A9F-49F0-9BA1-F7D659151E66.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 187

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Girl, If you like it, enjoy it. Channel your inner badgirl Beth Sutton and rock that fabulous big gem.

Seriously, wear it a bit and see what you think.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you should change your ring, especially if your husband likes it. There's no point in spending more money on a different setting just to give the impression that your ring costs less money.

Edit: I understand how you feel. I only wear my engagement ring on special occasions because it's large for my social circle. Day to day, I wear a more modest five-stone anniversary band.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be patient- over time that ring will shrink and when you look at it, it will not look big anymore.

I wouldn’t touch the setting either. It is not too big at all. I wouldn’t worry what other people have or wear. Enjoy your ring and smile when you see it. If we all had the same rings it would be boring! I like ones that are unique and have sentimental value to top it off!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
One other thought, I have multiple e-rings, some mined (some not) to accommodate all sorts of moods. You could pick up a “travel ring” for the trips to places you feel could open you up to any situations or damage to the lovely ring.

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
I don't think you should change your ring, especially if your husband likes it. There's no point in spending more money on a different setting just to give the impression that your ring costs less money.

Edit: I understand how you feel. I only wear my engagement ring on special occasions because it's large for my social circle. Day to day, I wear a more modest five-stone anniversary band.

That’s sound advice many thanks

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
One other thought, I have multiple e-rings, some mined (some not) to accommodate all sorts of moods. You could pick up a “travel ring” for the trips to places you feel could open you up to any situations or damage to the lovely ring.

That’s a great idea

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Be patient- over time that ring will shrink and when you look at it, it will not look big anymore.

I wouldn’t touch the setting either. It is not too big at all. I wouldn’t worry what other people have or wear. Enjoy your ring and smile when you see it. If we all had the same rings it would be boring! I like ones that are unique and have sentimental value to top it off!

Awe that’s a very good way of approaching this and said in a such a nice way. Thank you !

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
First off… LOVE IT! Secondly, wear it as you see fit! Third and final… if your wedding band isn’t attached, why not consider wearing that when you’re out on the ranch and e-ring may be a bit much for what you’re doing?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you work at home and your ring is getting caught on stuff, please consider whether it is a safety issue for you.

If it is or could be, I strongly recommend you do not wear the rings while at home or at least not when you are in "work mode" -- I actually don't wear any rings when I'm home, because I am doing chores etc. But whenever I leave the house to do errands or go out for meals/socializing, I put on my rings.

Even if you re-set it in a lower, plain metal bezel setting, it is a large rock at 3 carats and likely would still get caught on things. For that reason, and because I think your set is beautiful, I think you should keep it as is. Let your husband know that the ring is getting caught up while you are doing your chores and it's a real safety issue, so you will wear it whenever you head into town or when chores are done for the day.

Just my 2 cents.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the reset inspiration you posted... so sleek, elegant, and wearable. Your current ring does seem high and large; I can see how it might be very attention-drawing and uncomfortable for ranch wear.

My story, fwiw: I was self-conscious of a very-blingy reset that was also a bit heavy & bulky. I wore it for a year, but I never grew comfortable - both mentally and physically - with it. I like to wear my rings full-time (save for when I am doing something that poses a danger, and while sleeping) yet I found myself opting not to wear it a lot due to my discomforts. I finally made the decision to make a change to something more comfortable and wearable, and I was instantly 1000x happier.

I suppose it's nice to take DH's opinion into account, but I am not of that mind personally. I believe that the person wearing the ring makes the call on what works for them and will bring them the most pleasure. And ideally that the partner wants them to be completely happy.

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
I love the reset inspiration you posted... so sleek, elegant, and wearable. Your current ring does seem high and large; I can see how it might be very attention-drawing and uncomfortable for ranch wear.

My story, fwiw: I was self-conscious of a very-blingy reset that was also a bit heavy & bulky. I wore it for a year, but I never grew comfortable - both mentally and physically - with it. I like to wear my rings full-time (save for when I am doing something that poses a danger, and while sleeping) yet I found myself opting not to wear it a lot due to my discomforts. I finally made the decision to make a change to something more comfortable and wearable, and I was instantly 1000x happier.

I suppose it's nice to take DH's opinion into account, but I am not of that mind personally. I believe that the person wearing the ring makes the call on what works for them and will bring them the most pleasure. And ideally that the partner wants them to be completely happy.

So happy with what you said , many thanks ! I love the sleek user friendly look also .. (though the bling is fun .) im
Glad you think that my husband will understand if I point out it’s not safe to wear all the time ✅ I’ll enjoy it now as is and then. If I’d like to elevate it more often bring up the subject with him or just wear the eternity band from the set on its own

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
If you work at home and your ring is getting caught on stuff, please consider whether it is a safety issue for you.

If it is or could be, I strongly recommend you do not wear the rings while at home or at least not when you are in "work mode" -- I actually don't wear any rings when I'm home, because I am doing chores etc. But whenever I leave the house to do errands or go out for meals/socializing, I put on my rings.

Even if you re-set it in a lower, plain metal bezel setting, it is a large rock at 3 carats and likely would still get caught on things. For that reason, and because I think your set is beautiful, I think you should keep it as is. Let your husband know that the ring is getting caught up while you are doing your chores and it's a real safety issue, so you will wear it whenever you head into town or when chores are done for the day.

Just my 2 cents.

Excellent advice ! Thank you so much

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should keep it as is if that is what makes you happy but I do understand as I live very rurally and also feel a bit out of place in my area wearing a bigger stone, my 2.3 carat doesn't get much wear time unfortunately.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone, what a wonderful forum of lovely folks … although this is my first thread I confess Ive been lurking and catching sight of some amazing eye candy and reading some sound advice for sometime now .

Thank you to everyone for sharing in advance.
I probably sound like a crazy person but I sure could use some help …
Here goes …I’ve just had a custom set made up to house my oval diamond, my husband does not like a solitaire says it needs a halo and blingtastic big look .. he choose this setting… it looks cool for sure but now my ring is out of control blingtastic and I’m feeling like how can I wear this everyday ? It feels over the top for where and how we live .

We live in a rural ranching community, we live on a small remote ranch …
So boots , faded jeans and cowboy hats are style … should I reset this ?

So many folks are feeling the squeeze of the economy ( us too) maybe this ring is just too ostentatious for the times? Borderline rude?

The 15F578E8-5B35-43BF-9D66-7726025D7961.jpeg ring looks so expensive but it really wasn’t
The center stone is a 3ct Hpht treated natural earth mined bought secondary market ( 1/3 cost of untreated same specs diamond ) the setting was custom made but it was quite affordable.

So all said we’re still within our means and within the means of local folks though they would t know it by looking …we didn’t need to use credit and we are actually under what most would have spent on a 1.5ct rbc

But I think it really looks way more expensive. Now I’m stressing
I don’t get into town but once a week I work home on the ranch . .. opinions please?

Seems like a simple bezel solitaire would make it look less huge and handsy friendly ..

Just got it back from setting yesterday..,

It’s already getting caught on stuff as it’s high set … maybe I need to get used to it ?

I always wanted a bigger diamond ring … now I have one . I love looking at it but feel like it’s more over the top in RL than expected ..

D9CCE448-76AE-42E3-ABC0-E130BC38F9FD.jpeg

So , should I try and just enjoy it as is or maybe reset it into a simple bezel set as shown?
Keeping in mind Husband likes the fancy settings.
sh
567C8D55-9067-476F-AD65-4E74F063A1FC.jpeg D5DF602D-BF55-43B2-92DA-82725B257F7A.jpeg

Its your ring
and your ranch
you make the rules

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
I think you should keep it as is if that is what makes you happy but I do understand as I live very rurally and also feel a bit out of place in my area wearing a bigger stone, my 2.3 carat doesn't get much wear time unfortunately.

You get it … you really do . Thank you for your advice and sharing your similar situation

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I adore it.

Think if it like a radical new haircut- it can take two weeks to get used to. Give it time!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang ! You’re right ! You sound fierce gal , thanks for that boost !

I used to work for a big rural supply store
Tuesday was sale day when the farmers came to town with their wives
we had some very wealthy well to do clients
I surmised the higher the altitude of the property the more money they had
pearls and denam twin sets were the fashion of choice, but they always looked classy and well put together

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your ring is very pretty..If you love your ring you should keep it and wear it proudly. I would take it off when you do something that could get it caught on something and hurt you doing chores..Otherwise I would just wear it and enjoy it!

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
I think your ring is very pretty..If you love your ring you should keep it and wear it proudly. I would take it off when you do something that could get it caught on something and hurt you doing chores..Otherwise I would just wear it and enjoy it!

Thanks ☺️ This ring makes me feel red carpet even though my carpet is full of mud mostly lol

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
I used to work for a big rural supply store
Tuesday was sale day when the farmers came to town with their wives
we had some very wealthy well to do clients
I surmised the higher the altitude of the property the more money they had
pearls and denam twin sets were the fashion of choice, but they always looked classy and well put together
Dang we do pearls and farm wear here too
I’m already feeling like the wife in green acres 1654211915418.gif

Last edited:

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
You get it … you really do . Thank you for your advice and sharing your similar situation

Anytime! I do however totally think it's awesome when I do see people with their bling wearing it with confidence that I just don't seem to have, so I hope you become like those people and wear your bling without thinking about it too!!!!

firekeepingwolf

Rough_Rock
Anytime! I do however totally think it's awesome when I do see people with their bling wearing it with confidence that I just don't seem to have, so I hope you become like those people and wear your bling without thinking about it too!!!!

Thanks for that encouragement! So now I’m thinking can I drive my truck down the road and keep my eyes on the road not the ring ?! I’ll practice on the dirt road first …haha

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy your beautiful set-I love the deco vibe. I think we need a series of ring pics with the horses and majestic mountains in the background!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results