shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I need advice.

redmess

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am in the market for a loose diamond to make a solitaire pendant for my wife. I have been searching this site and all the choices are overwhelming. I am starting to pull my hair out and that is not good for someone in my position. I would like it to be between 1.5 and 2.0 cts. My maximum dollar amount is about $10K but could ekk above for the right stone. If I don't need to spend that amount to get a good stone I would prefer a lower price. Also I prefer a GIA stone as I know they grade very hard. Please give me some recommendations. I was looking in the I,J range.

I have looked at hundreds of stones and am more confused than ever. I found one that was GIA and had excellent cut, polish and symmetry. It was listed as H & A but the HCA was 3.6. How can this be possible? Excellent GIA cut and H & A but such a high HCA.
Please take pity on me and allow me to benefit from the wealth on knowledge on this forum. Thank you in advance.

redmess

Rough_Rock
This is the H & A , GIA Excellent but HCA 3.6 http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/diamond_detail.php?id=520670

The examples look good but I was always told to beware of strong blue florescence. Are they wrong?

Keep the examples coming I am going to buy one of your recommendations.

Thank you to all for sharing your knowledge.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
strong blue fluor is sometimes associated with a hazy effect but the BGD blues do not have any negative effects from fluorescence. you may see blue in sunlight or the disco, but that is all!

redmess

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the examples. I get the impression that the website to use is James Allen. They seem to be the best choice. Is that a valid assumption? Any other great suggestions? Thanks to all.

mk2007

Rough_Rock
There is no defined "best choice" - it's all about finding an e-tailer with whom you are comfortable and who has what you're looking for. Many can attest here on PS that James Allen, Brian Gavin, Whiteflash, Good Old Gold and so forth are all fantastic to work with. Explore all options and work with the respective sales support at each shop to get a general feel for each. Also, don't be afraid to send them a wish list of what you're looking for because they will do their best to go out and find it for you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redmess|1304730316|2914447 said:
This is the H & A , GIA Excellent but HCA 3.6 http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/diamond_detail.php?id=520670

The examples look good but I was always told to beware of strong blue florescence. Are they wrong?

Keep the examples coming I am going to buy one of your recommendations.

Thank you to all for sharing your knowledge.

GIA does not grade H&A nor does it endorse anyone else's H&A grading - all they are saying is that someone, somewhere, inscribed H&A on the girdle of that stone, since we have no idea what specifications that someone used to determine H&A that comment carries no weight.

"poor" HCA b/c of the pav in combo w/ the crown - but could be a very nice stone in-person, unfortunately ED does not provide images or scans so the only way to find out would be to buy and have it shipped out

different vendors provide different goods & services at different pricepoints, depending on what you're looking for, JA's prices are lower than BGD/GOG/WF/Infinity vendors' in-house goods but the tradeoff is the limiting upgrade policy and the limit of 3 free ISs & evaluations.

redmess

Rough_Rock
Is J too low on the color scale for a pendant? My wife currently loves her G ring and loves how white it is. Will there be a huge difference when the two are placed next to each other?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
redmess|1304861079|2915380 said:
Is J too low on the color scale for a pendant? My wife currently loves her G ring and loves how white it is. Will there be a huge difference when the two are placed next to each other?

for a pendant will she put it next to the ring and look at it?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1304874460|2915451 said:

Ditto.

A J will look a teensy bit warmer but it will not look yellow. I think it is the perfect color for a pendant.

And frankly, if you want to stay around 10k, the only way to jump the 1.5ct mark and keep cut quality high is to opt for a J color.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1304874769|2915457 said:
slg47|1304874460|2915451 said:

Ditto.

A J will look a teensy bit warmer but it will not look yellow. I think it is the perfect color for a pendant.

And frankly, if you want to stay around 10k, the only way to jump the 1.5ct mark and keep cut quality high is to opt for a J color.

DS provided a good link and DD gave good advice--so spare your hair! :cheeky:

cheers--Sharoon

redmess

Rough_Rock
Very nice but I know girls say size doesn't matter but we know it does. I wish it was a little bigger. Thanks and if you come across another please post. Thanks.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

redmess

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1304895588|2915673 said:
diamondseeker2006|1304713770|2914230 said:

I suspect this might be the biggest and best cut you will find if you want an H&A.

I like this one too, a bit larger, request an idealscope if you like it: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1355903.asp

I do like the larger stone but should I be worried about the size of the twinning wisps and the proximity to the girdle?

Could this have durability issues?

Do you think this would be eye clean?

Are most twinning wisps clear or is it a case by case basis?

Thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
redmess|1304903386|2915804 said:

I suspect this might be the biggest and best cut you will find if you want an H&A.

I like this one too, a bit larger, request an idealscope if you like it: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1355903.asp

I do like the larger stone but should I be worried about the size of the twinning wisps and the proximity to the girdle?

Thanks

These are things you have to ask the JA gemologist.

redmess

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1304904099|2915819 said:
redmess|1304903386|2915804 said:

Thanks

These are things you have to ask the JA gemologist.

Would they really be an unbiased opinion?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience JA/WF/GOG/BGD are all honest with their opinions. Just be specific and make sure that they understand what you are looking for. At the end of the day you can only rely on the vendors that you trust as they are the only ones who can inspect the stones they have on hand.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto.. they know that if you don't like the stone when you get it after you buy it you'll just return it, which means money loss for them, *and* you'll post about your experience here, and the desire not to sully their (excellent) reputations on here is additional reassurance. They want to sell you a stone - but they have far more to lose than gain by selling you a stone they know you will not like.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results