shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!! i found a black inclusion on my new diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dib

Shiny_Rock
i don''t know how i could have missed this when i looked at my diamond loose in the store, but there is a very visible black inclusion on the side of my diamond, right where it hits the basket of the setting. If it was like a mm lower in the setting, i would have never noticed it - but it is very visable. i am freaking out! The store where i bought it from has a trade-in policy, so i guess that is always an option, but i think my husband would kill me if i brought that up considering i got the ring a week ago. It will drive my crazy though everyday knowing i spent a fortune on my ring and there is something so visible. The spot looks like it''s on the very most outer part of the stone, but who knows. It''s 3.02 carats, so even it could be polished away, that would probably bring it under the 3 carat mark, which i wouldn''t want to do in case i do want to trade it in one day. What would you guys do? HELP!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
First, relax.

Second, realize that diamonds are clarity graded from a faceup position, not looking at them from the side. From the side it's like looking through a window pane, and very common to see inclusions.

What's the clarity grade of your diamond? Is it clean to your eye when viewing it from a faceup position?

dib

Shiny_Rock
it''s an SI1 and it''s 100% eye clean from face up. I think when i was looking at the stone i got so caught up in how great it looked face up, that i guess i never looked at the ring from the side.

I even had a friend of mine who is in the jewelry business come look at the stone with me and she commented what a great SI1 it was.

Is it possible to replace the basket of the ring witha larger one so the diamond will sit lower in it and then you won''t see the inclusion? If it''s a 3 sided pave band can that even be done. I know i won''t be able to live with the ring for years and years knowing you could see the black mark so easily.

thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh no!

that sounds like one of those dangerous EXPLODING inclusions. I had a client killed by one last week (serve her right for buying it from a competitor!).

Actually you should completely ignore me and take Rich''s advice
34.gif
. I am afraid i just cant help myself
29.gif

dib

Shiny_Rock
Cut Nut - i know from reading your other posts that sometimes you can''t control yourself - i appreciate the humor!

in all seriousness though - the ring is a cushion shape and can''t be turned to cover the inclusion. what are your thoughts on somehow getting it to fit lower in the basket to cover it?

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear you''re disappointed after the fact. I think your stone and ring look absolutely gorgeous, and personally probably wouldn''t do anything at all, since no one else is ever going to be staring closely at your diamond from the side.

I know you''ve posted before that you feel like the setting has the stone sitting too high up anyhow and wasn''t exactly like the sample you saw initially, so if you''re really upset with the ring height and seeing the inclusion, you probably should see your jeweller about getting the setting redone. Had your jeweller said you''d be able to set the stone lower in the basket and shorten the prongs? If so, that might drop it down enough that you wouldn''t be able to see the inclusion any more...

Good luck!
Drk

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2005 8:10:57 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Oh no!

that sounds like one of those dangerous EXPLODING inclusions. I had a client killed by one last week (serve her right for buying it from a competitor!).

Actually you should completely ignore me and take Rich''s advice
34.gif
. I am afraid i just cant help myself
29.gif
LOL!!!! I nearly I choked I am laughing so hard...too funny.
emotion-5.gif

dib

Shiny_Rock
drk - you''re right - the setting is not done exactly as it was supposed to be. i can''t contact the jeweler until July 11th because they are on vacation. He did say that they could lower the prongs a little, but i''m not sure if they would just cut the prongs more towards the bottom of the basket, which i don''t think would effect how the stone sits. i do love the ring and hope this can be fixed - i''m just pretty disappointed and angry at myself for not looking more closely at the stone before i bought it.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
BBB,

Is the diamond''s pavillion actually in contact with the basket? I can''t see how your jeweller would think he could lower the prongs if there weren''t still a bit of room to play with the basket. It doesn''t look to me like there''s any way to lower the prongs without lowering the diamond into the basket more too, because the basket, prongs and shank look pretty solidly attached from the photos!
I guess you''ll have a bit of time to live with it and see how you feel in a few days when your jeweler comes back from vacation. Maybe by then it won''t bother you as much. I had exactly the same experience with my diamond. We looked at in in the store, I thought it was eye-clean and wonderful, and after we had it shipped to us (to save on taxes) and we brought it home, all of a sudden I saw the feather jumping out at me and found it terrible. (My fiance couldn''t see it all of course.) And we''re talking top-down visible here. I could hardly sleep that night, but by the light of day it somehow wasn''t as visible any more. Now that it''s set, it''s a lot harder to see. And really after that first shock and thinking "how could I NOT have seen this before, I''m so stupid!", I realized that no one but me would ever see it, and even I have trouble seeing it now. Maybe you''ll have the same change of heart?
If you love everything else about how this diamond and the setting look, and the speck is only visible from the side, I''d be pretty reluctant to return it even if the jeweler can''t set it a bit lower. At lesat the inclusion will make your stone easy for you to identify at all times!

Sorry you had the same shock I did after looking at the diamond more carefully... Hope it fades for you too. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Drk

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gee, I''m sorry you''re so disappointed! I should think that you could have a basket custom made that will cover the spot.

Personally, I like having a visible something on a diamond, it''s like a fingerprint, you will always know that the diamond is yours, should it ever be out of your hands for a repair.

In any case, talk with your jeweler when they are back from vacation, I''m sure he will do what he can to make you happy.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
That "exploding inclusion" comment by Gary is not funny.
38.gif
BBB just spent 30k on this stone, it''s no wonder she is upset!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think he was trying to calm her a wee bit. But the truth of it is she bought a SI and they do have inclusions. I am not sure why she didnt notice it before she had it set...but that isnt the sellers fault. I dont think it is an issue of fault personally. It is like DF says mind clean vs eye clean..

dib

Shiny_Rock
finerthings - thanks for the comment. i appreciate your empathy.

matatora - it was never posted that it was the sellers fault. i'm not sure where you're getting that from. what i did say in my last post was that i'm just pretty disappointed and angry at myself for not looking more closely at the stone before i bought it. However, there are some problems with the setting that have nothing to do with the inclusion.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I never said that you posted it was the sellers fault, I was responding the finer things, not you. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused you. As for your issues with the setting I am still reading through the posts about that, and so I wont comment.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Matatora, I was not inferring that BBB was upset with her jeweller for selling her an SI stone with visible inclusions...as BBB had already stated, she was upset with herself. I was only offering my empathy for her and I felt that the slapstick humor from Gary was insulting.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh well... the more I look at your pictures, the more perfect it appears.

Really !
9.gif

bbbhand1_01.JPG

the most endearing, flawless ring, as much as I can tell. If the diamond has a pinpoint thinghie inside... perhaps it should be forgiven for the sake of its very stryking other qualities ? Besides, this used to be a pebble before someone mae it into this graceful, intricate contruction - a reminder of its old earth-bound state cannot be all bad. Just a thought. At this point of accomplishment, anything is just a matter of taste - your taste not mine that is.

dib

Shiny_Rock
valeria101- thank you for your nice words. I hope my posts are not conveying the message that i don''t think my ring is absolutely beautiful. I DO think it is. It just was a little upsetting to not have noticed something so obvious before i bought it and i would like to try and hide the mark if possible.

dib

Shiny_Rock
I think another reason why the inclusion might be bothering me so much is the fact that this ring is a replacement for a recently lost engagement ring. I loved my old ring and was really devasated when i lost it. This is a whole new ring - new shape, setting, etc... and the whole thing is just a little weird for me. I guess i wanted what started off as a bad situation to end perfect and finding the inclusion was certainly disappointing.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
That ring is stunning, BBB.

Forgive it it''s imperfection. Like humans, all diamonds have something to indicate the pressure they''ve been through. Consider it a mineralogical badge of honor.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2005 7:59:38 AM
Author: valeria101
Oh well... the more I look at your pictures, the more perfect it appears.

Really !
9.gif

bbbhand1_01.JPG

the most endearing, flawless ring, as much as I can tell. If the diamond has a pinpoint thinghie inside... perhaps it should be forgiven for the sake of its very stryking other qualities ? Besides, this used to be a pebble before someone mae it into this graceful, intricate contruction - a reminder of its old earth-bound state cannot be all bad. Just a thought. At this point of accomplishment, anything is just a matter of taste - your taste not mine that is.
It is an absolutely gorgeous stone bbb!!
30.gif
30.gif

Very eloquently stated Valeria.
36.gif
36.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
One of the best ways someone mentioned to me when i first posted about a diamond i was looking at and worried about inclusions was...

"think of them as birth marks"

Every diamond has them... and no two diamonds are alike.

The important bit really is it''ll only be you who knows about it... like only a mother knows her child has a birthmark behind their ear...

And a way of keeping your mind at ease that after your jeweller retires and you need to find a new one... that after that first time you can check you got your stone back. It does look rather beautiful in that picture.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2005 8:30:19 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
My wife even has trouble controlling me
Mrs. Holloway.... best advice....

Get a bigger stick
28.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2005 8:44:26 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
That ring is stunning, BBB.

Forgive it it''s imperfection. Like humans, all diamonds have something to indicate the pressure they''ve been through. Consider it a mineralogical badge of honor.
Rich''s sentiment is worth repeating. You did buy an SI1. In a stone that size & cut, it would be more common to see something. Something always has to give, especially in the larger stones. I''d rest on it & see what perculates.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your ring and know that you are dissapointed. Perhaps in a lower setting it can be positioned in such a way where you wouldn''t be able to see it. Other wise think of it as a beauty mark, on that helps you o identify your stone. Good luck!!!

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring! Since you can't really do anything until the 11th, why don't you wear it until then and see how you feel? That gives you about a week to think about it and see if it bothers you. Maybe think of it as a beautymark - like your very own Cindy Crawford mole
2.gif

ETA: I think I posted at the same time as K above - great minds and all....

dib

Shiny_Rock
fire&ice - you''re right - i did buy an si1 and i knew that is what i would probably have to do to get a diamond in the F colorand 3 carat range. As we all know, there are some stones that are more eye-clean than others, and i just thought this was one of the better ones. It certainly is awesome from face-up.

i hope i can think of it as its own identification mark and that i can just relax and enjoy this beautiful ring. thanks for all of your compliments on the ring and the setting. I really appreciate it!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2005 11:50:37 AM
Author: bbb
fire&ice - you''re right - i did buy an si1 and i knew that is what i would probably have to do to get a diamond in the F colorand 3 carat range. As we all know, there are some stones that are more eye-clean than others, and i just thought this was one of the better ones. It certainly is awesome from face-up.

i hope i can think of it as its own identification mark and that i can just relax and enjoy this beautiful ring. thanks for all of your compliments on the ring and the setting. I really appreciate it!
If it makes you feel any better, I had one of those OS moments myself. It was weeks after I set my stone. I viewed and reviewed that stone hundreds of times. Then, one day when I didn''t have my corrective lenses on and looked at it in the light at a certain angle - poof - a black spot magically appeared.
2.gif
I started to beat myself up. Then, I realized - I love it, it was under my budget, exactly what I wanted, etc. Then I had a Zen moment & now think of my little blemish as a really cool "gem" inside of my stone that is a birth mark. I''ve been told that''s what these "carbon" spots really are - little gems.

I wouldn''t kick that baby out of bed.
2.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results