shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for an inept e-ring shopper?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prospective

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I''m pretty new at buying jewelry, but I''d like to get a lot better quick so I can make the best choice for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I know it''s probably just masculine arrogance, but I really want her to be suprised, so I''m not asking her anything specific about it.

That does leave me in need of some help, which I''ve gotten in part from her girlfriends. Problem is, it''s also left me a little confused. I wonder if any of you could give me some suggestions or feedback on what I''m thinking.

What I know:
1. She really--genuinely--doesn''t want a really big or extravegant ring as part of her social concern, but of course she wants something nice that she can be proud of.
2. She really likes three-stone rings
3. She seemed to like pretty simple designs, and I was moving toward and Asscher cut design, which I really like.
4. She also pointed last week (to a friend who she didn''t know was in cahoots) to a really "glittery" princess ring with a halo of round diamonds and pave-set stones on the band.

That''s left me really confused. Can I combine the classic simplicity of an Asscher-type cut with the glitz of a brilliant cut? Should I even try?

Here''s what I''ve been thinking specifically: a custom-made three stone ring with a smallish Asscher in the center and princesses on the sides. A mixture of a trellis setting (for the princesses) and just a straight prong setting (sorry I don''t know the terminology) for the Asscher just to sort of set of the Asscher''s very geometric simplicity from the princesses.

Any thoughts? Has this been done? How does it look?

Thanks so much

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome prospective! You've come to the right place for lots of opinions on what would look nice for an engagnemnt ring! (maybe more than
you want
2.gif
).

Ok, lets see...I've have never seen a combination of an asscher cut with princess cuts (atleast not as a 3 stoner)...my initial thoughts on that
are that I'm having a hard time picturing it. Just because she has pointed out 2 different shapes she likes doesnt necessarily mean that she wants them
together in one ring. I know there are some PSers that have asscher cuts so maybe someone with a 3 stoner asscher can show us some pics.

Seems like most asschers I've seen have been solitares. I wonder if trillions would look nice on each side (like what you usually see with a princess
in the middle). I'm going to go look around at some other treads and see if I can come up with some pictures to show you...hang loose for a while!

What about an asscher in a halo setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a large assher 2+ but picture it with a say .75 assher (I dont know what your budget is

ems12150722.JPG

big_image-8.jpg
assher earrings that would give you a better idea of a smaller size assher with halo
big_asscher_pave_front.jpg
solitare assher (lonely - I think not!)

3 stone assher (pretty!!!!)

ash3j.jpg

assher with side baguettes

ashbag3.jpg

I found an example of an assher with princess side stones!!! Its very pretty

HT2264_main.jpg

I pulled a lot of these pictures off this thread...there are more pictuers - please go look

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinions-on-sidestones-for-asscher.64539/

Hope this gives you some assher ideas!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi prospective- for sure you''re going to make a hit- mainly because it''s clear you want to please her.

Many people would not combine a step cut ( such as an Asscher) with a brilliant faceted side stone such as a princess. Not that it can''t or shouldn''t be done- such as the lovely photos tyty333 posted.... but I believe the reason it''s less seen has to do with the fact that many people would not want side diamonds sparkling more than the center.
Halo rings are an exception- but she did ask for a three stone ring....

Personally, I love trapezoids, Asschers or baguettes next to an Asscher cut center.....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point Rockdiamond...you dont want to show up the assher (middle stone) with sparkly side stones like princess (well, most people dont
want to). Definitly pulls the attention away from the big stone unless they are much smaller side princesses. Stones like baguettes dont
sparkle as much as princess or rounds and are often used for accent stones on each side of the main stone. Helps draw the eye toward the main
stone instead of pulling the eye away.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe her social concern tells her she shouldn't want something big and flashy...but she does? And she can't tell you because that would change your "image" of her (or the image she has of herself?)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For sure the "sparkley" cuts are really nice- and popular.
To my eye, stones like Asschers or Emerald cut make up by having a lot of "glitter"- if they are well cut.
I suppose some might find the glitter to be less "flashy" (?)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 3:05:21 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
For sure the 'sparkley' cuts are really nice- and popular.

To my eye, stones like Asschers or Emerald cut make up by having a lot of 'glitter'- if they are well cut.

I suppose some might find the glitter to be less 'flashy' (?)
I love asschers and am their biggest proponent here but the type of light return an asscher gives is miles away from a princess and someone who really loves a princess cut may not appreciated the beauty of an asscher as much as others do.
The square h&As split the difference.
RB type light return in a more unique shape.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The asscher with the side baguettes is lovely and is also a 3 stone type without taking away the beauty of the center! My favorite suggestion so far!
36.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 3:56:37 PM
Author: AprilBaby
The asscher with the side baguettes is lovely and is also a 3 stone type without taking away the beauty of the center! My favorite suggestion so far!
36.gif

Me too! I love that look!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... I'm going to say cushion. YOU were the one in favor of step cuts, she seems to like brilliant cuts. Square ones.

I think a square Cushion would be elegant, have brilliant faceting, and still be very classic. You can do a three stone or a halo with a Cushion. Personally I'd chose been a three stone or halo by thinking about her lifestyle. If she works with her hands a lot or is clumsy, three stone. If she's neither of those... discreet halo (a very delicate halo).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some lovely square cushion rings:

Three stone with pear sides by Leon:

crw_9889_rj.jpg

Cushion Halo a la Harry Winston

Capture1adriannahalo.JPG

Three stone, all cushions:

three7.jpg

Cushion solitare:

ksm%20ring%203a.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, the 3 stone cushion rocks too!
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are two very pretty cushions. I wasn't looking for high color and clairty, it just turned out that way. You said on the smallish side, so I looked for something right around a carat.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1203782.asp (not square, but the price was really good, and the pic was nice).

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1127796.asp (More square, but the price is higher).

A few others:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1210751.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1187768.asp

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy says it all! Great recommendations!

Asschers are not everyone''s cup of tea. If you love them, you want one. But if you aren''t familiar with the cut, have never seen it before and aren''t nuts about it already an asscher could be disappointing. Due to the step cut they don''t sparkle as much as traditional round diamonds. But cushions and other squarish cut do. If your gal likes princess cuts and halos it''s because she does like the sparkle factor.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 7:03:47 PM
Author: swingirl
Gypsy says it all! Great recommendations!

Asschers are not everyone''s cup of tea. If you love them, you want one. But if you aren''t familiar with the cut, have never seen it before and aren''t nuts about it already an asscher could be disappointing. Due to the step cut they don''t sparkle as much as traditional round diamonds. But cushions and other squarish cut do. If your gal likes princess cuts and halos it''s because she does like the sparkle factor.
2.gif

Here are a few more. You would need an ASET or IS of each of these (and all the stone''s I''ve suggested) plus an examination of the incusions for safety and eyecleanliness.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Premium-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1185425.asp (1.02 ratio, it''s nice a square, I''d check the inclusions to make sure it''s eyeclean though).

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Premium-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1123113.asp (square, lovely, nice spread. Check crown height).

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Gypsy''s cushion idea. Gypsy, you found some excellent cushions! I really like that first one you posted.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s great you want to surprise her! Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Understated elegance:

cushion with baguettes

290944.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cushion1new.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bullets:

CU2TBWG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results