shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Finding Men's Wedding Band

seaglass

Rough_Rock
Any help is appreciated. I've read all 24 pages of the men's bling eye candy folder along with tangents from there. The following are two that I am interested in. The Van Craenest is out of my price range (don't want that much money sitting on my heavily used fingers), plus I don't want the diamond on top. Actually I wouldn't mind a small diamond with my new interest in diamonds, but the fiance` doesn't like the diamond bit on men's rings. But I do like that it has texture and depth.
http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&cid=3&startRow=7&pid=76

The second one from Benchmark I like, but I'd like something less angular and uniform for the etching in the middle. I was think more of a feather impression or similar, but I really like the two tone look to it, 18YG and Platinum or WG engraving.
http://www.benchmarkrings.com/product-detail.php?sku=CF188003

I've contacted a ring maker for a quote and to see what she can come up with, but if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

seaglass

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link. The problem is that I don't really know what I want since I've never worn a ring before and have only been looking at men's rings for the past few weeks. But I know I don't want plain jane, no character bands.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean - I wore a couple of (terrible taste!) gold rings in my youth but stopped at about 20, and then never wore anything jewellery-wise after that point until I started looking for wedding rings. It's hard to know what one likes in such a situation!

I would recommend trawling Etsy and Pinterest and the search engines for "men's wedding ring", then copy-and-pasting pictures and links into a spreadsheet for the ones you like. If any particular material/design/finish appeals, narrow the search down to wedding rings of that type.

Then you have to consider what width ring you would like - classic and quite narrow (3-5mm) or wider and more modern in look? (6-8mm) You could even go wider than that (9-10mm) if you have very large hands or just simply like that style! This etsy seller has sizing bands in widths of 8mm, 6mm and 4mm, such as these:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/264806460/sizing-bands-set-of-three-8mm-quality

If you order two sets of different widths, say 4mm and 6mm, or 6mm and 8mm, that would mean that you can have a good understanding of a range of 1mm either side of the widths - so in the latter example, you'd know if a 6mm was too big and a 5mm would threefore suit better; whether a 6mm was too narrow and an 8mm too wide, so a 7mm was the width you needed; and if an 8mm was not big enough, so a 9 or 10mm was the best style for you :)

If you are considering a wider band (or even if you're not!) it is good to order the sizer rings in your measured finger size and a size each side of that (hence that seller sends three rings in a package), because wider bands wear a bit more snugly and you may need one size up from your measured size. (We'll ignore the fact that there is potential for each ring sizer in different shops to be not-exactly-the-same... lol)

Don't forget that you don't necessarily have to buy an off-the-shelf piece - you could commission something unique from a seller that has styles you like but not exactly what you want already in stock :)

I would recommend actually going and trying things on, though - I have found that things I like as an item on a screen or in a display don't necessarily actually suit me when worn... lol

Last edited:

seaglass

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great input! I have been trying rings on, but there is a very real lack of men's rings at the local jewelers. I've found the 8mm to be too wide, but that was exacerbated by it being too large in size also. I'm settling in at 6mm, but getting some cheap ones to try on is a great idea.

The fiance` is warming up to me having a stone such as in the Van Craeynest ring. Unfortunately there isn't one around for me to try on. I did try on a colored stone ring, but it was way too big and heavy for my tastes, Topaz about 3-4ct. I think a design like the VC might work as I don't think it will sit too high as the stone in there is tiny. I'm debating between a small diamond at 0.2-0.3ct and a blue sapphire up to 0.4 to 0.5ct. So now I have to read up on the colored stones forum!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am completely unknowledgable about coloured stones so I will have to leave you in the capable hands of the regulars in that section of the forum :D lol

I would definitely recommend getting one or two sets of those sizing rings, though, once you've had your finger measured at a couple of places and you have a good idea of the sizes you'll need to order.

Being able to wear a cheap trial ring 24/7 is really useful in learning how your fingers swell and shrink with heat and cold, reducing the risk of getting a size that is just a smidge too tight to always be comfortable, or annoyingly loose and feeling like it will fall off when it's cold outside!

I liked 8mm width but it did look just that bit too fat on my finger, whereas 6mm was 'alright' but not quite my aesthetic preference for 'chunkier'-looking stuff. 4mm was definitely too narrow for me! lol

Knowing that meant I could order a 7mm width in total confidence, and it really is 'just right'. Likewise, working out the exact size to fit snugly but not too tight meant I got it right first time when I bought the actual wedding ring, and now it always fits in all situations!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, jim
Since the Van Craeynest bands appeal to you, see what you think of the rings-bands fabricated by Tom Herman of Seven Fingers Jewelery (when a child, he lost several fingers in a piece of farm machinery). I think his jewelry pieces are marvelous, both in design and quality of execution, and I really enjoyed talking with him at a show several years ago.
http://www.sevenfingers.com/rings.html

I'll see if I can find the PSer posts about working with him.
ETA: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ng-project-with-seven-fingers-jewelry.215713/
the first post in the thread linked above includes a link to a thread from another PSer who commissioned him.

P.S. Tom Herman began his career as an apprentice with Van Craeynest (his own pieces, however, are not die-struck):
http://americancraftexpo.org/fine-filigree-a-conversation-with-ace-veteran-tom-herman/

Last edited:

seaglass

Rough_Rock

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A possible option, priced similarly to Benchmark, for 18K white & yellow
gold (thought you might like this engraving better) and also made in USA:
https://www.allurez.com/index.php?f...s_id=1183&carat_sel=yes&quality_sel=yes&ver=4

But if you're willing to consider a custom purchase, contact David Klass in LA, a favorite of many PSers. His prices are very reasonable AND whoever does the engraving for him seems, on the basis of many pics posted here on PS, to do terrific work. I'm thinking it could be fun for you to come up with, in consultation with David & the engraver, a more personalized motif for the engraving : - )

seaglass

Rough_Rock
Thanks Molly! I will definitely look into it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results