shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding diamond for engagement ring - <$5k

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dummy68

Rough_Rock
I have been researching diamond buying for the last couple weeks and still can''t seem to make enough sense of it all to feel comfortable spending $$. I''m looking to spend less than $5000 for the diamond. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here''s what I''m looking for ...

Shape: Brilliant Round
Cut: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Color: G, H or I
Clarity: VS1, VS2 or SI1

Thanks in advance!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
try using the ''pricescope your diamond'' search tool above and select ''cut quality search''
you can expand your criteria after the first page of diamonds comes up.

dummy68

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I have used the search at the top of the page, but don''t feel comfortable picking one out. They all look pretty much the same to me:|. I need help finding something that will be the most diamond (diameter) for the weight. Also, this will be set in platinum so I should probably rule out anything above H, right?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 3:23:16 PM
Author: dummy68
Thanks for the reply. I have used the search at the top of the page, but don''t feel comfortable picking one out. They all look pretty much the same to me:|. I need help finding something that will be the most diamond (diameter) for the weight. Also, this will be set in platinum so I should probably rule out anything above H, right?
Why? Any color can be set in platinum.

dummy68

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Do you think the color (I) will be too noticeable in a white gold or platinum setting.

The 5k is for the diamond. I have another $2200 for the setting.

Thanks again!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I have used the search at the top of the page, but don''t feel comfortable picking one out. They all look pretty much the same to me:|.
if you''re using the cut quality search and not just the big general search, you''re right, they are all pretty much the same.....AWESOME! it''s a great way to find the top performing diamonds available without too much effort. you really can''t go wrong picking a diamond from the cut quality search.

I need help finding something that will be the most diamond (diameter) for the weight.
they also have a calculation for spread listed, so you can pick that way too. or just go down the list and look at the diameters and pick the biggest one.
2.gif

the cut quality feature is very helpful.

Also, this will be set in platinum so I should probably rule out anything above H, right?
not necessarily. there are many j and even k color diamonds that are set in platinum. as long as you get a well cut stone, it will face up very white. all of that sprarkle is distracting! (in a good way.
2.gif
)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I think if you are going for size, I would drop down to an I, J, range and SI1-2 (eye clean).

WhiteFlash has a good selection (their ACA rounds) as does BlueNile (their signature stones).

Good luck!

dummy68

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies earlier. I think I have narrowed it down to 3. Please let me know which of the following 3 is the best diamond OR if you have a better recommendation. Also, does anyone have any experience with any of the following online stores?

Thank you!

James Allen -AGS, 1.04, I, VS2, Polish: Ideal, Sym: Ideal, Cut: premium, Total Visual Performance 1.1

Union Diamond - GIA, 1.0, H, VS2, Polish: Good, Sym: Exc, Cut: Premium, Total Visual Performance 1.1

Abazias - GIA, 1.0, H, VS2,Polish: Good, Sym: Exc, Cut: Ideal, Total Visual Performance Unk

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I think below an H is risky unless you know she does not mind a hiint of yellow. I can see a lot of color in I stones. Some people like the color but some may not. Its preference and if yiou want it to be a suprise, I don''t think you can go wrong with an H. You save a lot of money over a G but it still looks close to a G. I and J are are big jump in color from what I have seen. I know others will disagree and many love their warmer stones.

I think by sticking with H you would be safer.

For $5K you can get a nice size H stone in a VS1 or VS2. My preference is not below a VS2 but others love SI stones. I think I have freakish eyes because I have been able to see inclusions in SI1 stones (GIA graded) when I looked for them and that bugged me.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
An ideal cut "I" (AGS or GIA) round brilliant does not appear yellow. It is not as icy as a "colorless" diamond, but by no means is it yellow. The best description is that it is a "warmer" diamond. You probably wouldn''t even be able to tell the difference unless you compared it a F or G and even then it would be subtle. Here is a link to the "I" color that I recently purchased- and I have it set in platinum.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
If you want a diamond that is the best bang for you buck get a VS2, eyeclean SI1 or SI2 (although eyeclean SI2''s are harder to find). Above a VS2/eyeclean SI''s you are paying for something you can''t detect without magnification. Definately try stick with Ideal cut stones. If you search around on here, most will agree that cut is king...

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
1.12 I color - SI1 (listed as $5,000 on PS search)... but its an AGS 0 Hearts & Arrows Ideal cut

I would just like to add that James Allens photos make the diamond look horrible!!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a close up of my "I" SI1. They are both graded by the AGS so I really think its just the James Allen photo.

I color SI.jpg

dummy68

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 11:20:26 PM
Author: the other Jake
1.12 I color - SI1 (listed as $5,000 on PS search)... but its an AGS 0 Hearts & Arrows Ideal cut

That's a great find! Thank you!

Do you think I should stay away from Premium cuts and only look at ideal? (based on your above post about cut being king)

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
If you''re going with a lower color I wouldn''t sacrifice the cut. It is what will let you get away with the lower color and make it "face up" much better than what its actual color grade is. Cut is what will give you the fire and brilliance that will make your diamond a stunner...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tricky is that definitions of premium and ideal are not concrete.

JA has all stones above 58% table as premium. However the 1.04 I VS2 is an AGS ideal. Need an Ideal Scope for the 1.04 but I think I like that better than the 1.12 I Si1.

dummy68

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 11:52:48 PM
Author: JulieN

JA has all stones above 58% table as premium. However the 1.04 I VS2 is an AGS ideal. Need an Ideal Scope for the 1.04 but I think I like that better than the 1.12 I Si1.

Thank you. I have requested an ideal scope from them.

What do you think about this one? White Flash

I can''t believe how difficult this is
7.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very nice.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 12:04:39 AM

Date: 12/13/2006 11:52:48 PM
Author: JulieN

Thank you. I have requested an ideal scope from them.

What do you think about this one? White Flash

I can''t believe how difficult this is
7.gif
The WF stone looks very nice. I really wouldn''t worry too much about the I color. I just purchased a wedding band with ACA diamonds from WF that are both I and H colored. I can''t tell the difference between the H stone and the I stones and all look just fine. Only on a piece of white paper viewing from the side angle do I see any color at all, and it''s not yucky color...but just a slight touch of warmth.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s what I''m talking about. This picture is a pic of my wedding band. The center stone is an H and the others are I''s. As you can see it''s pretty hard to tell the difference between the H and the I''s and you can only see a touch of warmth even from the side.

side_pic_2.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pic face up. The stone the camara is centered on is an I, and as you can tell the sparkle distracts any color you might see. You can also see that the stone pics up the color of the red and orange in the room.

icey_white_1.jpg

dummy68

Rough_Rock
Deleted duplicate post

dummy68

Rough_Rock
Your rings are beautiful! Thank you for all the replies. I appreciate all the advice!

So I have narrowed it down to 2. Please help me choose between the two OR feel free to recommend something else.

James Allen -AGS, 1.04, I, VS2, Polish: Ideal, Sym: Ideal, Cut: premium, Total Visual Performance 1.1

861652.jpg

-The picture for this one was bad so I requested a Ideal Scope image. What do you think?

White Flash -AGS, 1.15, I, VS2, Polish: VG, Sym: Excellent, Cut: Ideal, Total Visual Performance 1.6

IS_GIA-15269623.jpg

Thanks again!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither of the IS are textbook perfect, but they are both gorgeous. Verry nice.

pahoyafan

Rough_Rock
Both stones will be great, so one thing I would look at is each venders policies and what they offer. Having dealt with whiteflash (e-ring and earings) I know they will give you back 100% towards a trade up in the future. I have viewed stones on James Allen but I am not familiar with their policies.

dummy68

Rough_Rock
I think I''m going with the James Allen stone.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=861652

Has anyone purchased through them? Does anyone know how they rate vs White Flash?

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I like the whiteflash stone better just because the size. Just so you know if price is an issue you get a 5% discount on the Whiteflash stone for mentioning Pricescope so the price is actually $5037 rather than $5303. Also, the James Allen stone is Ideal cut (listed on the AGS report) rather than premium as its listed on the website and as you stated.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention- the white areas on the Ideal scope near the edge of the WF stone may help to create contrast which is actually beneficial for visual performance. In addition, I wouldn't chose the James Allen just because solely because its lower HCA score. "A score below 2 (Excellent) means you have eliminated known poor performers (more than 95% of all diamonds). Your own personal preference may be for a diamond with an HCA score of 1.5 more rather than one with a lower score of say 0.5. You also should consider other factors such as H&A pattern, symmetry, polish, etc."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results