shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Finding Dark Gray Pear

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
More videos of the oval. Does anyone else see the brown flashes in the first video?

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
More videos of the oval. Does anyone else see the brown flashes in the first video?
Personally I see some purple/brown flashes in the first video. Could be the lighting and it is a super short fast moving video.

E046F668-3E5B-482F-81CE-7BFCE607B0A7.jpeg

Attachments

• B03D312F-061B-4322-BE58-FE20309ACAFA.jpeg
    B03D312F-061B-4322-BE58-FE20309ACAFA.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 6

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Personally I see some purple/brown flashes in the first video. Could be the lighting and it is a super short fast moving video.

E046F668-3E5B-482F-81CE-7BFCE607B0A7.jpeg

Glad I’m not crazy! Do you think it will show when set?
I think the seller is getting irritated with my questions :oops2:

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
I am not a spinel expert by any means but I feel like if you see it in certain lighting re the purple/brown flashes you are not going to unsee them. You might even keep looking for them - which would drive me up the wall personally. If it were me and I wasn’t 100% sure I would keep looking. It’s a pretty stone though and you love it, go for it.

Don’t be put off by the seller, or any seller, you have every right to question whatever you like as you will be the one who stares at the stone daily.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just popping in to ditto everything @TL has said :)

Fun project @emegumi
I can’t wait to see where you take this and your villain alter ego!

if you can find a grey that doesn’t shift to the mauve/brown/blue/purple undertones in different lightings - you’ve found a rare bird indeed.

I don’t feel my grey darkened much, if at all, after setting. I was very surprised, especially in the closed backing.

PS - if someone knows of a seller with synthetic spinel that looks just like that pink spinel, sign me up!!! I don’t think I’ve seen synthetic that aren’t crystal clear and monotone color.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Not a pear, but looks pure gray...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't call this option a "pure" grey. I definitely see some brownish/purple flashes. I think it's pretty, but if you want a 100% pure grey then I would look for a different option

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I am not a spinel expert by any means but I feel like if you see it in certain lighting re the purple/brown flashes you are not going to unsee them. You might even keep looking for them - which would drive me up the wall personally. If it were me and I wasn’t 100% sure I would keep looking. It’s a pretty stone though and you love it, go for it.

Don’t be put off by the seller, or any seller, you have every right to question whatever you like as you will be the one who stares at the stone daily.
That’s true. I’m definitely the kind of person that would let it bug me LOL! Will pass on this one. I’m trying to find sellers in the states but having such a hard time. I don’t want to have to worry about duties and such. But I can’t really find any that have the nice grays I’m looking for. Went through the whole recommended sellers list! Buying on ig freaks me out a little..

This is my favorite vendor for grey spinels: https://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/fancy-spinel/fifty-shades-of-gray?p=1

See the individual listings for pics on his hand, which I think are the most helpful. Not any pears, but I would ask him if he has any.
These are dreamy!! Here are the ones I’ve inquired about:
Suuuuper interested in this one!! The shape looks so evil. Would love to know your thoughts!
https://gemcal.com/gray-fancy-spinel-2.67-cts-4356.html
https://gemcal.com/gray-fancy-spinel-3.52-cts-4976.html
https://gemcal.com/gray-fancy-spinel-3.74-cts-4462.html

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s true. I’m definitely the kind of person that would let it bug me LOL! Will pass on this one. I’m trying to find sellers in the states but having such a hard time. I don’t want to have to worry about duties and such. But I can’t really find any that have the nice grays I’m looking for. Went through the whole recommended sellers list! Buying on ig freaks me out a little..

These are dreamy!! Here are the ones I’ve inquired about:
Suuuuper interested in this one!! The shape looks so evil. Would love to know your thoughts!
https://gemcal.com/gray-fancy-spinel-2.67-cts-4356.html
https://gemcal.com/gray-fancy-spinel-3.52-cts-4976.html
https://gemcal.com/gray-fancy-spinel-3.74-cts-4462.html

The kite is absolutely my favorite of the ones he has. No question. Its gorgeous and so unique.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I’m just popping in to ditto everything @TL has said :)

Fun project @emegumi
I can’t wait to see where you take this and your villain alter ego!

if you can find a grey that doesn’t shift to the mauve/brown/blue/purple undertones in different lightings - you’ve found a rare bird indeed.

I don’t feel my grey darkened much, if at all, after setting. I was very surprised, especially in the closed backing.

PS - if someone knows of a seller with synthetic spinel that looks just like that pink spinel, sign me up!!! I don’t think I’ve seen synthetic that aren’t crystal clear and monotone color.
Hi!! Thank you :D

I think I’ve decided that blue/purple undertones are okay but I really would prefer teal! Don’t think there’s such a thing as a gray without any undertones, lol.

I love your stone and that setting is CRAZY! So beautiful and you lucked out with a stone from finewater gems which I’m soooo jealous about! Hoping to find more vendors in the states but it’s proven very challenging. I really don’t like buying on Instagram.

Hoping the pink is still available. Just messaged the seller about it! Think I will pay for GIA cert for my peace of mind. Will update in my pink spinel post as I’ve hijacked my own thread :loopy:

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
The kite is absolutely my favorite of the ones he has. No question. Its gorgeous and so unique.

What are your thoughts on settings for that one? Nervous about protecting those sharp points. Do you think I’d probably need a bezel or halo?

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
What are your thoughts on settings for that one? Nervous about protecting those sharp points. Do you think I’d probably need a bezel or halo?

Such an interesting shape. I would do a thin bezel which would allow you to ad or take away a few fun bands or a halo bezel. Inspo pics attached :)

45FC37F6-DB38-4B8B-8C97-38B9CA0AA90E.jpeg

Attachments

• 060F993C-7667-40DA-94EA-ADBA656D6DC6.jpeg
    060F993C-7667-40DA-94EA-ADBA656D6DC6.jpeg
    679.3 KB · Views: 14

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Such an interesting shape. I would do a thin bezel which would allow you to ad or take away a few fun bands or a halo bezel. Inspo pics attached :)

They are so pretty! For the halo option, what do you think of a lighter gray toned spinel instead of diamonds? In the rings I’ve seen the white seems like a bit of a harsh contrast to me. But not sure if it will look too washed out.

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
They are so pretty! For the halo option, what do you think of a lighter gray toned spinel instead of diamonds? In the rings I’ve seen the white seems like a bit of a harsh contrast to me. But not sure if it will look too washed out.

Personally I would choose the white diamonds as I like the contrast. But the alternative, I agree, would be matching spinel melee or whichever colour undertone it shows - would make for a fun complimentary play on colour.

Edited to say - setting it in white metal would bring down the contrast of diamond melee but up the sparkle factor :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Emegumi - Please forgive the threadjack, but I want to confirm you are passing on this stone because I've got it in my cart and don't want to buy it if you want it![/url]

I’m still waiting to hear back from them! Do they have a website?
On IG they told me they’d send details on Monday.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Personally I would choose the white diamonds as I like the contrast. But the alternative, I agree, would be matching spinel melee or whichever colour undertone it shows - would make for a fun complimentary play on colour.

Edited to say - setting it in white metal would bring down the contrast of diamond melee but up the sparkle factor :)

I have lots to think about!

Just waiting for details on my 4 options. I’m getting anxious.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m still waiting to hear back from them! Do they have a website?
On IG they told me they’d send details on Monday.

Gotcha! I just removed it from my cart. I'll be watching here to see either way what you decide!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Gotcha! I just removed it from my cart. I'll be watching here to see either way what you decide!

Were you able to get a price from them?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you able to get a price from them?

Uhhhhh... Isn't the price what's posted? Or maybe I'm missing something obvious and that's like a per carat price...? Or???

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Uhhhhh... Isn't the price what's posted? Or maybe I'm missing something obvious and that's like a per carat price...? Or???

Am I crazy? Lol. This one right?
D8CF2218-D25E-45F8-9181-CCD262C58307.png

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
356188CE-4F58-4E95-8411-9A2686FEBE8E.jpeg

No — this one.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this one, because it’s a medium tone, and a very dark stone won’t sparkle without bright light on it. That’s of course unless you don’t want it to always sparkle.

https://etsy.me/3efLrpY

Here's the post by TL. It seemed like you had moved on from that one, but I just want to be sure so I don't buy it if you want it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

BTW, when I looked at it the first time there was no other indication of interest. When I just went back to get it two other people had it in their carts! I *think* I just bought it (according to the confirmation from Etsy and the notification I just got from AmEx, so I hope that's true) and I'll let you know when it comes.

Threadjack over!!!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is what I picture also!!!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!

BTW, when I looked at it the first time there was no other indication of interest. When I just went back to get it two other people had it in their carts! I *think* I just bought it (according to the confirmation from Etsy and the notification I just got from AmEx, so I hope that's true) and I'll let you know when it comes.

Threadjack over!!!!!

People will absolutely lurk on here and snipe gems that have been discussed. Not PSers cos we have etiquette but lurkers who don’t want to do the work of hunting their own gems. @emegumi, that’s why you’re recommended to put a hold on the gem you are are considering or at least enter in communication with the seller so they don’t sell it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

Threadjack over!!!!!

HOT GREY! :)
hope you post pics when you get it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results