shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a sapphire --first time colored stone buyer

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am new here and found the forum while researching sapphires for a RHR. I have never entered into the world of colored stones. I did read the colored stone info thread and that was so informative.

I'd like a pretty large central sapphire to have set with trapazoid diamonds on each side. I lean toward a more medium blue and know I don't like a very dark blue. I seem to be drawn to Ceylon sapphires and like emerald, radiant, cushion and oval.
I've done some research and have found a couple sapphires from US PS recommended seller. I don't want the hassle of going ex US.
I'd love your thoughts on these sapphires. They are within my budget BUT if you have others that you'd recommend, I can go a bit higher. They do seem a bit light but so hard to tell without seeing in person.
--I don't think this has a cert...should I be concerned about that or no need because this seller recommended?

I also looked at AG and the prices seemed quite a bit higher. This one for example is heated and smaller and similar price to above. Also the clarity of the stone doesn't look as good to me but I will throw it into the mix

I also saw this ring on the real real and would like your thoughts on the sapphire.

If you have suggestions on other stones, I would love to hear them.

Thanks so much in advance for helping out a newbie.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
The price differences are because of the intensity of colour...but you should pick the colour that speaks to you. Don't feel the more expensive is better for you. You are the one wearing it....

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That one on the real real will come up pretty dark. Given the others you’ve posted I’m not sure you will like that in person.

Africa is, IMO, way overpriced compared to other vendors.

The colour you like, fortunately for you, is less expensive than the richer coloured blues. What you do need to try to find though is a stone which doesn’t have a grey overtone and is properly saturated, even if the actual colour is a lighter hue. The saturation of both stones you posted is rather wishy washy.

Edited to add: as soon as you go over 5ct the price per carat will jump.

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
That one on the real real will come up pretty dark. Given the others you’ve posted I’m not sure you will like that in person.

Africa is, IMO, way overpriced compared to other vendors.

The colour you like, fortunately for you, is less expensive than the richer coloured blues. What you do need to try to find though is a stone which doesn’t have a grey overtone and is properly saturated, even if the actual colour is a lighter hue. The saturation of both stones you posted is rather wishy washy.

Edited to add: as soon as you go over 5ct the price per carat will jump.

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful...Buying this sapphire is so much harder than buying a diamond as I'm more able to rely on GIA reports as well as photos.
I feel kind of lost...I am also not in a metro area and none of the jewelers around me have stones this large so they all would need to work with their vendors to have stones sent in for me to look at.

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
This is a bit of a jump in price but perhaps the above are just too light and a little wishy washy.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying a blue sapphire can be tricky because there are so many different blues - some have purple tones (like the last one you posted) and others have grey (like the first one you posted). Do you have a preference? Normally a certain colour will sing to you. With your budget you can afford to be choosy so take your time and go through the vendor list and check everything out. One thing you may find is that you end up compromising to get the perfect stone for you. Sometimes it's the colour, sometimes the cut. For example, the 3rd stone you posted is an absolutely fantastic colour but the cut is a little "off". For some, that would be a deal breaker but for others, to get the right colour, it's something to be ignored.

The 3 stones you've posted are wildly different so have a think about what you want. As this is a first purchase also make sure there's a good returns policy because buying gemstones online can be tricky and with your budget you want to make sure you're not stuck with a gem you don't love.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the eBay shopper.
I found this one which is interesting.
Its a US business seller, over 1,000 sales, 100% positive.
Comes with an appraisal confirming the sapphire is unheated. Seller offers returns.
I like the cut, though I’m not sure if the window is an issue or not. It’s a lovely colour and great size for the price. I think the setting is very wearable as is.
Price is $12,500 US with make an offer option. I’d offer $11,500 and see if you can get it for $12,000 or under (sellers normally counter offer).
Item number is 163952216863.
87B211F1-5F9B-42CB-A7B8-1914EF9CF659.jpeg E4BF0CC1-B67A-4263-8D57-8551CCDB1219.jpeg

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
I’m the eBay shopper.
Comes with an appraisal confirming the sapphire is unheated. Seller offers returns.
I like the cut, though I’m not sure if the window is an issue or not. It’s a lovely colour and great size for the price. I think the setting is very wearable as is.
Price is $12,500 US with make an offer option. I’d offer $11,500 and see if you can get it for $12,000 or under (sellers normally counter offer).
87B211F1-5F9B-42CB-A7B8-1914EF9CF659.jpeg E4BF0CC1-B67A-4263-8D57-8551CCDB1219.jpeg

Thank you so much for passing this on. That is a beautiful color and what I am going for for sure. My two larger diamond stones are both round and I've been wanting a different shape for my next statement ring. I wish it was a cushion!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I’m the eBay shopper.

Thank you so much for passing this on. That is a beautiful color and what I am going for for sure. My two larger diamond stones are both round and I've been wanting a different shape for my next statement ring. I wish it was a cushion!!

I recognize the photo type and they have many different options that cycle through pretty regularly. It may be worth reaching out as they may have exactly what you want, as yet unlisted.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All pretty!

The precision-cut one is so pastel that it almost looks like an aqua. Too pale for me.

The unheated cushion is pretty but pale.

The heated cushion (AfricaGems) -- I think Marc is terrific but he uses the Gems2000 stock photos that I feel are generous. And it is heated. And there is no stone depth in the listing (?!). And I am not a huge fan of square cushion -- I like rectangular cushion.

The RealReal ring faces up quite large and I'm impressed they have an AGL report. Not super-flattering lighting but does not excite me. Also an odd "make" to the ring, imo, with the two-tone and the inelegant-looking basket. The @Bron357 sapphire is extremely shallow so I think it will have a huge window. I did not look for it or review the other photos

I think with a $10K budget, you can do better; however, if it must be 5 cts, you will be limited to "compromise" stones.

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
Thanks @ItsMainelyYou and @LilAlex...and all! I do not think i found the right one...
Re TRR ring, I don't like the setting either...would definitely reset if went that route but the poor photos have me wondering what the true sapphire looks like.
I can up my budget to $15k...I do want the sapphire to be the star of the show--and think I need it around 10x10-- with just trap diamonds flanking it. I'll be setting in platinum.
@LilAlex, I did find this one from the same seller. Color looks pretty but there is only one picture. when I asked for more I got the GIA cert--octagonal, modified brillant cut, transparent, heated...12.4x11.21x8.42

With this limited info, what are all your thoughts on this one? Honestly the only thing I can tell from the picture is that I like the overall shape and color...hard to tell by the pictures if there are alot of bad inclusions or anything else that my untrained eye can see.
I can press for more pix but are there other questions I should ask the seller?
Thanks again all for your time helping me. If you ever need help with high end handbags, I'm your girl... Also know a bit about old world diamonds as that has been my jewelry passion up until now. :)

Edited to say that the price seems too good to be true for a nice stone that size...also worried the depth would have this sitting way above my finger.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @ItsMainelyYou and @LilAlex...and all! I do not think i found the right one...
Re TRR ring, I don't like the setting either...would definitely reset if went that route but the poor photos have me wondering what the true sapphire looks like.
I can up my budget to $15k...I do want the sapphire to be the star of the show--and think I need it around 10x10-- with just trap diamonds flanking it. I'll be setting in platinum.
@LilAlex, I did find this one from the same seller. Color looks pretty but there is only one picture. when I asked for more I got the GIA cert--octagonal, modified brillant cut, transparent, heated...12.4x11.21x8.42

With this limited info, what are all your thoughts on this one? Honestly the only thing I can tell from the picture is that I like the overall shape and color...hard to tell by the pictures if there are alot of bad inclusions or anything else that my untrained eye can see.
I can press for more pix but are there other questions I should ask the seller?
Thanks again all for your time helping me. If you ever need help with high end handbags, I'm your girl... Also know a bit about old world diamonds as that has been my jewelry passion up until now. :)

Edited to say that the price seems too good to be true for a nice stone that size...also worried the depth would have this sitting way above my finger.

Looks to have some extinction (large areas where it goes "darker" - see how the upper half of them gem isn't as lively?), ideally get photos inside, outside, direct sun, artificial lighting. Also doesn't appear "clean" but others will hopefully chime in

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
If anyone sees stones in the US that you recommend, would love to see.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
If anyone sees stones in the US that you recommend, would love to see.

I’ve heard fabulous things about Inken at Enhoerning...

This is their IG - they do a lot of sourcing for specific clients and don’t seem to keep a huge inventory. Might be worth reaching out!

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I did some looking around and found 4 rings by the same seller and would love your opinions--more on the sapphire vs the ring.
I think this first one is insanely gorgeous but it is also the most expensive. This would be definite reach for me. So ideally I'd like to get something close to this in look--I am not hung up on heat vs no heat if the look is similar. If many of you tell me that this is worth the price, then maybe I just have to keep on saving...

I also love this--again a bit out of reach but not as much as above. This one is heated.

Next two are more in line with my budget
First one is heated ... How do you think the color would look irl...is it too dark on top or is that just pictures?

Finally this one is definitely in range but very light. My husband is worried that it doesn't even look like a sapphire. Also it looks like the top is darket than the bottom but again I don't know how noticable that will be irl.

Finally has anyone ever dealt with nabatidiamonds? Searched but couldn't find anything.

I very much value your expert opinions on the above.

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
Bumping this to get any opinions...and wondering if anyone has dealt with this sller--nabatidiamonds. They seem to have a lot of sapphire rings on ebay and etsy right now.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Haven't purchased from Nabatidiamonds but they were super responsive when I asked about one of their sapphire rings. He mentioned a sapphire of at least 9-10mm in size with side stones in a platinum setting would run at least $8k and above and that he has some stones on hand to show.

Have you tried desertrose_gems on IG as she's great with finding beautiful sapphires and could source one for you along with the side stones to go with?

Rockerchic

Rough_Rock
I'm still searching for a stone and definitely have honed in on a deep cornflower blue. If anyone has any leads, please let me know. Boy this is hard!!!
1616503449419.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results