shape
carat
color
clarity

Help find a strand of super lustrous baroque Akoyas

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

On my holiday wish list is a strand of baroque akoyas.

I’m looking for super lustrous (think shiny Christmas metallic baubles).

If anyone has examples (even if not for sale) please share for learning purposes!

I found this strand below. Thoughts? Anyone purchase from this Japanese seller before? And what to anticipate in terms of customs?

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg IMG_0350.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While the pearl are lustrous, I am wondering why they were strung with such dark thread?!
The knots stand out unattractively.

Also, I would consider those semi-baroque. Truly baroque pearls lack symmetry around any axis. The more irregular surface of baroque pearls makes for fabulous iridescence.

Pearl Paradise has this strand of baroque akoyas for much less, and you would not pay customs if you are in the USA.

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

On my holiday wish list is a strand of baroque akoyas.

I’m looking for super lustrous (think shiny Christmas metallic baubles).

If anyone has examples (even if not for sale) please share for learning purposes!

I found this strand below. Thoughts? Anyone purchase from this Japanese seller before? And what to anticipate in terms of customs?

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg IMG_0350.jpeg

After reading this vendor's blog posts and knowing his knowledge on pearls, I am tempted to get this exact same strand. However, this strand is only good for casual wear. I will get an item from him later.

I do feel that he's really a local Japanese just by the way he packaged his items. (His blog post shows that)

If you want a strand for casual wear, go with this one. If you want a strand that work both casual and formal, maybe go with a strand with white thread?

Or if you decide to go with this one, ask if he can restring it with white thread. It seems like the coloured thread is part of the design according to his blog posts.

Member: Alybird has had purchased from this vendor before. Hope she can give you advice.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen white strands with brightly colored thread-- red, turquoise-- on Kojima Pearls website, for example.

The problem with this dull gray color thread is that it makes it look like it's just old and grimy from long wear. Rather like brand-new jeans that are already torn at the knees or thighs to appear to be old and worn. Or new wooden furniture that is distressed, to appear old.
But it's not to my taste. I would ask for them to be restrung.

Last edited:

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I bought baroque Akoya pearls from Flower Jem (FJ) and Pearl Paradise (PP), and would recommend both. The studs (blue baroque) from FJ have amazing luster, more so (to my eyes), than the earrings (silver-blue baroque) that I bought from PP (which I’m happy with as well). I think both have excellent customer service and would be happy to answer any questions or send additional photos.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While the pearl are lustrous, I am wondering why they were strung with such dark thread?!
The knots stand out unattractively.

That's my thought too when I saw the photos.

DK :confused2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not purchased from the seller mentioned by the OP; however, I had purchased from Takahashi and pearlzaustralia and would definitely recommend them.

Not sure if white is the only colour being considered, however, Takahashi had some gorgeous blue/grey baroque Akoyas shown on their IG feeds:

Perhaps it is worth contacting them to see if they still have some stock - I would at a heartbeat if I were in the market for some blue/grey baroque Akoyas.

DK :))

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Jump on these if they're still available and ask them to be restrung if possible. The seller is very accommodating. I almost bought this strand in addition to the extremely high luster blue-thread strand that I purchased from FlowerJem. I definitely would have indulged this strand, too, if the price of gem-round Akoyas were not so high as I am saving for a really good one in the coming months.

This one is just as lustrous, just slightly more pink.

I kid you not, in dim lighting, these glow magnificently.

Here is a video of the strand you're looking at being made. Take a look at the last video to see the color comparison between the two high-luster strands. (Sound on!!):

Here's the video of the strand I purchased being made:

Maybe it's just me, but I actually like the silver thread. That's probably because for baroque pearls, I err toward the funkier side of jewelry whereas I am very traditional and classic about round pearls.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
20231120_125159.jpg
Here's how they look in my closet (dimly lit, diffused sunlight). Also, I don't typically store my jewelry like this! Lol. Just wanted to lay these side by side for a "bling" comparison because I was impressed that the baroque pearls stand their own next to colorless diamonds.

From left to right: Takahashi gem-quality studs, precision cut H&A tennis bracelet, baroque Akoya strand, and hammered gold cuff.

Last edited:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
20231120_125159.jpg
Here's how they look in my closet (dimly lit, diffused sunlight). Also, I don't typically store my jewelry like this! Lol. Just wanted to lay these side by side for a "bling" comparison because I was impressed that the baroque pearls stand their own next to colorless diamonds.

From left to right: Takahashi gem-quality studs, precision cut H&A tennis bracelet, baroque Akoya strand, and hammered gold cuff.

Would be nice if you could put the gemmy studs below and above the necklace pearls (touching)? Easiest way to compare luster between vendors if you have the pearls on hand...

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thank you so much everyone for weighing in! This is so helpful!

@Alybird what a coincidence! You have the “sister” strand—thanks for the lovely photos and the helpful link! To my pearl newbie eyes your strand seems as lustrous as the gem grade Takahashi studs! Is that a true observation? If so I feel like I really can’t do much better in terms of luster in this price range!

Alybird

Shiny_Rock

@Alybird what a coincidence! You have the “sister” strand—thanks for the lovely photos and the helpful link! To my pearl newbie eyes your strand seems as lustrous as the gem grade Takahashi studs! Is that a true observation? If so I feel like I really can’t do much better in terms of luster in this price range!
Here is the comparison pic! My studs are slightly pinked so they appear darker but to my novice eyes, I'd say the luster is on par. I hope this helps.

20231108_101254.jpg

Alybird

Shiny_Rock

Here they are under direct light:
20231120_200258.jpg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Alybird Looks amazing! I’m going to reach out and see if it is possible to restring in a diff color-I really love your blue thread! (I hope I don’t offend him! But I agree with @pearlsngems that for me the silver doesn’t do it for me)

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I would say you got a beautiful lustrous strand at a great price, that’s for sure.

I also liked your strand more than the pinker strand that vendor is selling, so I think you chose well. The pink strand color matching bothered me in the videos, my inner @yssie kept whispering in my ear as I saw that strand ;-)

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie May I borrow your eyes? What do you think, is the strand (B) I’m looking at matched in color?

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
I would say you got a beautiful lustrous strand at a great price, that’s for sure.

I also liked your strand more than the pinker strand that vendor is selling, so I think you chose well. The pink strand color matching bothered me in the videos, my inner @yssie kept whispering in my ear as I saw that strand ;-)

Thank you! I purchased it because when I read that the seller hand selected 200 out of 30,000 pearls, I thought, "This sounds like something my OCD self would do. I gotta check it out." Haha, and then I was mesmerized by the process.

I'm also interested in hearing @yssie's thoughts. =)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not Yssie, but here are my thoughts:

When comparing the T earrings to the strand you bought, I see less "sharpness/contrast" in the strand compared to T. The strand is definitely glossy and lusterous, but the sharpness of the reflections isn't on par with T (not surprising though because I expect the necklace is much less expensive than a gem strand would have been from T). The strand also doesn't match in terms of pearl overtone (not a big deal to me, but obviously lowers price, etc). I am definitely not criticizing the strand by any means--it's lovely--but just trying to compare.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

When comparing the T earrings to the strand you bought, I see less "sharpness/contrast" in the strand compared to T. The strand is definitely glossy and lusterous, but the sharpness of the reflections isn't on par with T (not surprising though because I expect the necklace is much less expensive than a gem strand would have been from T). The strand also doesn't match in terms of pearl overtone (not a big deal to me, but obviously lowers price, etc). I am definitely not criticizing the strand by any means--it's lovely--but just trying to compare.

All true but keep in mind gem Takahashi necklace luster would also not match the luster of Takahashi gem studs… Unless you are talking granpearl level. The bar is set higher for earrings.

There is a reason @yssie had a bracelet done pearl by pearl with Takahashi, basically only using earring quality pearls.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock

Your observations are all fair, objective, and true. I thought the same about the sharpness as well. A few of the pearls on the strand are just as sharp, but overall the reflections are softer.

The contrast doesn't bother me as much because the pearls are very bright and high key in person. If the pearls had been lower contrast and dull in shine, I'd not have been impressed. The contrast also varies ever so slightly between the pearls. In terms of light output, they are all consistently very bright so it appears to me that the pearls were selected to optimize luster and light.

I also noticed the difference in overtone after photographing under direct tungsten light but can't really tell in other lighting conditions.

I think for me, especially since this is a baroque strand, it all came down to personal preferences. I really wanted cool silvery white pearls because they work for my skin tone better than standard pinked pearls. The shade of blue is also a favorite color of mine to wear. I liked the process of making the necklace and I liked the sense of balance and harmony the maker achieved. I evaluated more "artistically" rather than technically since high luster was a given and because these are baroque.

I am purchasing a gem strand in the coming months and hope that I'll be able to ask for everyone's astute observations because I see myself being methodical and picky!! =) You are all very helpful and eagle-eyed. It is much appreciated.

Also it is not my intention to hijack OP's thread. I think she still needs feedback on the necklace that she is considering!

OP - Echoing @NY_Resonant, I do see some tone variations in the pearls on your strand and you can see this based on the color of the shadows in the last photo that you posted. It's great that you are getting second opinions because this helps you make the most informed decision.

I would also not rule out @pearlsngems suggestion of checking out the Pearl Paradise link for the 8.5 - 9mm strand. Unless you have your heart set on this particular one, I think the PP strand is worth considering based on the attractive price and impressive size. My strand is a relatively modest 7 - 8 mm size and in a straight price comparison, I know that I paid a premium. (No regrets, though! It was what I wanted.) Perhaps consider too, asking for a promo/offer price.

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all! I’m so appreciative of everyone’s time and helping me ultimately to make up my mind.

I’m going to pass on this one. I think it’s a touch too pink for me. Also, after viewing the very helpful videos on his website, it feels like to me that Jem truly put a lot of thought and care (and work!) into what he feels is the correct aesthetic for this strand with the silver thread, so I really hate to ask to change the thread.

I hope it goes to someone who can appreciate it for what it is!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to the pearl party!! ;(

So here's my first thought - those are really nicely-shaped baroques! Like, most akoya baroques are weirdly shaped and super lumpy and bumpy. Drops are unusual in akoya. I can see how that strand took a ton of pearls - just getting the shape and size to match would have been a heck of an exercise.

But it doesn't sound like you wanted #ReallyNicelyShapedBaroques @Pinkmartini87 - drop-ey baroque shapes aren't what you're looking for first and foremost. If it was just the string colour I would 100% say buy and restring. But if you're really looking for metallic christmas balls I agree with the other folks here, you're probably going to want someone to special source (and that'll probably come with a premium). Lots of vendors can keep eyes open for you though! I'd say get your request onto a few vendors' wishlists and see what they can find for you! :love:

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to the pearl party!! ;(

So here's my first thought - those are really nicely-shaped baroques! Like, most akoya baroques are weirdly shaped and super lumpy and bumpy. Drops are unusual in akoya. I can see how that strand took a ton of pearls - just getting the shape and size to match would have been a heck of an exercise.

But it doesn't sound like you wanted #ReallyNicelyShapedBaroques @Pinkmartini87 - drop-ey baroque shapes aren't what you're looking for first and foremost. If it was just the string colour I would 100% say buy and restring. But if you're really looking for metallic christmas balls I agree with the other folks here, you're probably going to want someone to special source (and that'll probably come with a premium). Lots of vendors can keep eyes open for you though! I'd say get your request onto a few vendors' wishlists and see what they can find for you! :love:

Thanks @yssie! Yes, you are right (as always!)—I’m going to keep looking for my dream metallic pearls!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results