shape
carat
color
clarity

Help figuring out diamond cuts & such with good photos?

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock
Please don't ask how many photos I've tried (3 digits) but these seem to be as good as I can get when photographing diamonds. I am okay I think for colored gemstones, but my diamond photos leave a LOT to be desired.

I really want to take good photos of two pairs of diamond earrings I have, 18ct gold diamonds from Italy in the 80s and 90s. They always turn out blurry, or 'okay' but too dark or bright, and I can't see the cut and clarity anyway so they're useless.

Hwre are my latest attempts. Any tips? :(

The yellow pair is easier of the two as the diamonds are a good size, maybe 5mm. The white gold earrings decrease so the top diamond is tiny, then they increase slightly so the last diamond is, er, 3mm,

_3550.jpeg

_3552.jpeg

_3551.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to take pictures of clean jewelry only. So clean them and try again. There is a sticky thread on SMTB that is about how to take photos of your diamonds.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clean your things get some windex and soak and then scrub with a toothbrush or some good washing up detergent scrub with a toothbrush and warm water.

Look at Gypsy's link on how to take better photos. If you are trying to take good inexpensive close ups try taping a loupe to the camera part of an Iphone or camera phone, I do this and it works really well.

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I normally clean them with a baby toothbrush and mild dishwashing liquid first.

I tried again yesterday but not much better. I think I'll give up for now, and maybe find a local reputable appraiser.

Here's the newest photos, no light plus flash for comparison, as well as my ordinary good photos of non-diamonds.

_3598.jpeg

_3599.jpeg

_3600.jpeg

_3601.jpeg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may help to photograph from further away and then get close ups by cropping.

Photograph out of doors on a sunny day, in the shade. Try on a neutral piece of cardboard or paper or plate so your camera doesn't focus on the background.
Once you get some shots you really like you will be glad you worked it out! : )

Are you using a phone? If so there are other things to suggest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results