shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Fashioning engagement ring from heirlooms

Scratchy2

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First time posting, so hopefully I chose the right forum! I've started down the road for finding the perfect engagement ring for my girlfriend, and got an excellent surprise when I mentioned this to my father. Apparently he'd been waiting for the right moment to surprise me with some amazing family heirloom rings--rings he'd either previously kept secret or forgotten about (or maybe a bit of both). The diamonds are a total coup for me, because this kind of stuff would have completely fallen outside the realm of possibility a few weeks ago. My price range is pretty limited, so I'm thrilled.

Here are some pictures of the four heirloom rings. The one that I am primarily thinking about refashioning is "Ring A."

The first two rings ("Ring A" on the left, "B" on the right):
IMG_1515.JPG

Different angle of rings "A" and "B":
IMG_1516.JPG

Closeup of ring "A":
IMG_1519.JPG
*Copying facts from the appraisal doc:
  1. Center diamond is 1.75cts. Old mine cut. Clarity SI1. Color grade H-I. Good symmetry, good polish. Three minor chips on girdle, crown, and pavilion.
  2. First of two flanking diamonds is 43/100cts. Old mine cut. Clarity VS2-SI2. Color grade H-I. Fair to moderate symmetry and moderate to good polish.
  3. Second of two flanking diamonds is 39/100cts. Old mine cut. Clarity VS2-SI2. Color grade H-I. Fair to moderate symmetry and moderate to good polish.

All four rings:
IMG_1514.JPG

So, while I remain thrilled to suddenly have these, I don't really know where to start. The rings as they are now are totally different from my girlfriend's taste, and would look pretty bulky/chunky on her smaller hands if I left one as-is. I'm thinking that I'd like to reset the three stones from "Ring A" in some way, but don't know much about the options. For one, I'm still learning a lot of the basics about rings in general; I've done internet research, but there are still glaring gaps in my basic jewelry education. I also have no idea how to properly treat OMC diamonds, or what kinds of settings are most flattering for that cut.

And so I turn to you! Thank you in advance for your help and advice :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely STUNNING rings & you are a very lucky boy to be able to encorporate these into something super special & unique for your lady. Most of us only dream of this ever happening!

Although you are right to post in the Antique section, you might also want to post the above in Rocky Talky. You will get many more chimes from people with ideas & designs in there. Cannot wait to see how this thread moves forward! And fwiw, I would take ANY of them as a proposal :appl:

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love the 3 stone!!! I would want to reset it in a more modern 3 stone ring. Its too gorgeous!

Scratchy2

Rough_Rock
I love the 3 stone!!! I would want to reset it in a more modern 3 stone ring. Its too gorgeous!

Thanks so much! I agree about resetting it, and that's what a lot of people on Rocky Talky have been suggesting. This kind of setting is one of the contenders that keeps coming up.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
YES! I love it! If that is not within your budget you can definitely get something like that custom made for cheaper! Thats what I did!

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much! I agree about resetting it, and that's what a lot of people on Rocky Talky have been suggesting. This kind of setting is one of the contenders that keeps coming up.
Ill go look at your post in rocky talky

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful idea! And you could then use the remaining smaller diamonds maybe for a wedding band, or put them with other stones for a really unique right hand ring :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results