shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating OEC?

htreblig

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I've been reading a ton here, and I've decided to finally post in order to ask for help. I'm shopping for my 25 year anniversary upgrade, and after looking at picture after picture, I suspected I would like to go for an OEC. My sweet husband asked a local jeweler to see if he could find any to have shipped in for us to look at, and this is what he found. It made my heart leap, which tells me that I would definitely be happy with an OEC. However, I don't know if it's actually a good stone since it's the first one I've seen in person. The price on it is $38k out the door. I know the pictures aren't good; I took them with my iphone while we were there. I think my biggest concern is a visible inclusion under the table. I would be grateful for any and all feedback!

fullsizeoutput_1649.jpeg fullsizeoutput_164a.jpeg IMG_4774.JPEG

Thank you!
Holly

htreblig

Rough_Rock
Whoops, forgot the GIA stats:

4.25 ct
K color
SI1
Polish: VG
Symmetry: G
Fluor: Faint
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 51%
Culet: large
10.19 mm x 10.49 mm x 6.34 mm

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_164b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_164b.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 19

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think those are some pretty decent pictures actually.
I like it. It's a lovely facet pattern with big fat petals under the table and a snowflake/star around the edge, it's bright, it doesn't look like there's any dead spots or major facets that don't light up. How visible is that inclusion when you're looking at it yourself? I can't see it in the second pic or the further away hand shot (gorgeous colours in that one btw :love:) so it looks like it might get hidden a little with the scintillation and contrast of the flashes. The size is a major draw of course - WOW! I can only dream of an upgrade like this!
Looking on Old World Diamonds, it's a pretty good price. Is it the only OEC they have? How do you feel about it when you look at videos and pictures of others on sites like JBG or LAD? does it still draw your eye? Can you take it home for a few days and get to know if you like it or if that inclusion is all you can see?

htreblig

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, foxinsox. Let me try to answer questions (I can't figure out the quote thing):

The inclusion is visible to me in sunlight when I'm looking for it.

He had two more OECs: The first was really flat (literally flat on the top, very odd I thought) and didn't do anything for me. The other one is in a ring, but we didn't look at it because we were dazzled by the 4.25. I don't know anything about that third one; neither the jeweler nor my husband mentioned it so I actually didn't realize he had it.

It does still draw my eye when I look at others. I went to look at these not at all expecting to like any of them, and when I saw this one in person, it pulled at me.

I don't think I can take it home. I'd have to ask.

I think part of me is doubting whether I found a great one this quickly. Almost seems like it's too good to be true?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback, foxinsox. Let me try to answer questions (I can't figure out the quote thing):

The inclusion is visible to me in sunlight when I'm looking for it.
[snip]
It does still draw my eye when I look at others. I went to look at these not at all expecting to like any of them, and when I saw this one in person, it pulled at me.

I don't think I can take it home. I'd have to ask.

I think part of me is doubting whether I found a great one this quickly. Almost seems like it's too good to be true?
I think it pulling at you is a very good sign! And yes you can be lucky on the first time looking.
To my way of thinking, the jeweller wants you to spend $38k with them, they really should be amenable to you taking it home for 5 days (or however long) to evaluate at home rather than in the perfectly lit shop. Even if you pay for it and they give you a return period. See if they can give you a ring holder so you can wear it. Also see what that 3rd OEC is like so you’ve got another point of comparison.
You need to work out if seeing the inclusion bugs you whenever you see it or if you view it as a freckle or birthmark. And also you might find that no it’s not a great one after all cos in natural light there’s a set of facets that are dead or something weird it does every time you look at it. You’ll need to take lots of pictures for us to help you evaluate it haha

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My local store would let me take it home for the weekend and try it out. I would at least ask. They WANT you to spend $38k, I promise! The pictures look very nice. But I would want to see it perform outside the perfect jewelry store lights to be absolutely certain. I also don't see the imperfections in the hand shot. I just see a HUGE diamond!

And congrats on 25 years! That's a pretty big accomplishment!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks really nice to me based on the images /video. As stated above I’d see if you can negotiate to take it home on approval. Looks like you may have got lucky first time out! That has happened to me before and it made me feel-like you said- like it was too good to be true and it gave me tons of anxiety.
But honestly it does look lovely (and huge!) so it’s definitely worth a spin in your own environment.
I’ve also been shopping for big antique stone recently and can say among the “usual suspect” vendors that it’s relatively slim pickings at the moment. Fingers crossed you’ve found THE ONE!!!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The faceting is very, very pretty. Agree with the other posts that you should try to get a 5-7d return window to see how it looks throughout the day and in your home. When you evaluate it be aware of the color of your clothes and walls as you may think you see a tint but it could just be reflecting back its environment.

htreblig

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the feedback!

My husband is working on getting either a trial period or a good return window. He’s also going to ask if the ring with the third OEC is still there so we can look at it.

Is it too big? I was really in the 2-2.5 range, which is why actually I had to ask him to show me this one when I didn’t like the first one (which was a 2.9). He had it shipped because he thought we could have it recut (I was like NO don’t touch that stone!). My original engagement diamond is .66 so this would be an enormous jump.

We’re very much out of our element with this. However, my husband really liked this diamond, and he’s the kind that wants diamonds to be almost colorless and almost flawless and carat is secondary (which is why my original diamond is beautiful but smaller than it maybe could have been). So for him to be considering buying it for me does say a lot.

Last edited:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Happy Anniversary!

It looks like a beautiful stone. It's going to make one heck of an upgrade ring, be sure to comeback and share.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very nice of your husband!
2.45 top and 3.96 bottom on size 6 finger. 4ct sounds like a lot but, unless it is in an ornate setting, I don’t think it is too much. There are people who wear 1 carat, surround it in a halo, add a 1-2 carat eternity, and maybe another stacker - that can be a lot of look. With my smaller stone I usually wear 2-3 bands with it and with my larger stone just one band so the larger stone has a simpler, cleaner feel to me.
During your trial period wear it in a ring holder and think if you would be comfortable wearing it every day. If not, it doesn’t matter how beautiful it is if it sits in a safe most of the time.
6EA5D4A2-8ED0-4F69-9BF1-D9180EEFFAD0.jpeg

htreblig

Rough_Rock
We’re still working on getting a return period, since the jeweler doesn’t want to let us take it on a trial run. We did put down a deposit to hold it. In the meantime, the jeweler sent this additional video.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We’re still working on getting a return period, since the jeweler doesn’t want to let us take it on a trial run. We did put down a deposit to hold it. In the meantime, the jeweler sent this additional video.

I think it’s really lovely.
They should at least extend you a 5-7 day return/inspection period.

Assuming it works out, how are you going to set it?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous and certainly not too big :D

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re not trying too hard to sell it to you if they’re baulking at a simple evaluation/return period! :roll2: What does consumer law in your state give you in terms of right to return?
In saying that, I think it’s great and you’re getting it at a good price. How will you set it?

htreblig

Rough_Rock
I wonder if the main issue is that it’s not actually the jeweler’s stone. He got it from the “gem bank”?

If I do get it, I’m going to have it set in a very basic, inexpensive solitaire setting until I figure out what I want to do. It’s a big shift from everything else I was looking at.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder if the main issue is that it’s not actually the jeweler’s stone. He got it from the “gem bank”?

If I do get it, I’m going to have it set in a very basic, inexpensive solitaire setting until I figure out what I want to do. It’s a big shift from everything else I was looking at.

I would ask what the return policy is for the stone. You could buy it loose and put it in a stone holder type “ring” (which is temporary just to put it on your finger but not wear). If you love it, have them set it. No harm, just a few extra days. That way if you return it loose, they don’t have to remove it from a setting (additional labor).

htreblig

Rough_Rock
She’s mine! And I lurve her. We have a 10 day return period but I can’t imagine I’ll use it.
4B437F24-7192-411F-9B5B-8E7DA98CAC22.jpeg 483A1DF0-1C4E-4E53-95A6-82A0769D46D1.jpeg 2AD375AA-C2CB-40B2-88B4-4641BA9CBCA3.jpeg
599374C5-9C7B-4A5E-93BA-2928C3DCE80C.jpeg

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, she is glorious and glamorous! :love:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SWoooon :love::kiss2: she's amazing!!!! Congrats!!!

Q

Queenie60

Wow! Large and lovely!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s mine! And I lurve her. We have a 10 day return period but I can’t imagine I’ll use it.
4B437F24-7192-411F-9B5B-8E7DA98CAC22.jpeg 483A1DF0-1C4E-4E53-95A6-82A0769D46D1.jpeg 2AD375AA-C2CB-40B2-88B4-4641BA9CBCA3.jpeg
599374C5-9C7B-4A5E-93BA-2928C3DCE80C.jpeg

Ok, this thread needs to come with a warning! I’d have put on my sunglasses before staring into that flaming hunk of beautiful! :cool2:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubba hubba! :love: Congratulations, stunning on you!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh man. Love at first sight!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marilyn is glorious :love: I LOVE her setting and she looks right at home on your hand :clap:
Look at those rainbows in the first couple of pictures and those amaaaaazing facets.
Please feel free to share as many more pictures of her as you may care to

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh so beautiful. The stone looks substantial, and very nice on your hand. And what lovely colours she is giving off! :love:

htreblig

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone! Now I need to figure out a permanent setting for her. I’m thinking I’ll live with her a bit and see if she’ll tell me what she wants to wear!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results