shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Do I need a convection oven in a gas stove?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am getting ready to buy a new stove and range hood. I don't bake but do use the oven and broiler to cook. I have always heard that if you bake a lot, a convection oven is the way to go. The price is a little different, but not by much, so, if anyone can help my decision making I would appreciate it. I don't do much cooking. Is it a mistake to not have this feature?

Another question I have is what is pre-set burners for simmering and quick boil? Does this mean you can only use them for these tasks?
I'm looking on line and can't really ask these questions.

Thank you to anyone who cares to answer.

Annette

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a convection gas oven which we use on convection for things other than baking. It's a time saver.

Quick boil burners are handy for getting things to boil quickly, and work well on very low too, but you have to watch them. A simmering element is one that puts out a constant stream of less heat. The regular burners are for everything in between.

If we had to do it all over again though, we'd want an electric oven--some things just don't work well in gas oven, we don't know why. Most notably, baking is hit or miss. And we'd probably just get an induction top-instant cooldown of elements.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have a gas range with an electric convection oven at the moment, but previously had one with gas hob and oven. It was fine, and once I got used to it, I could make it do pretty much whatever I needed it to. The convection oven is probably technically better and more precise for baking, but if you're used to a gas oven, and know that you're happy cooking the things you cook and won't suddenly develop an urge to turn out patisserie, I don't see any pressing need to get convection.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
convection is good for casseroles, pizza. and meatloaf and generally cooks anything faster.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1415997452|3783682 said:
convection is good for casseroles, pizza. and meatloaf and generally cooks anything faster.
Yeah, that's true. It is faster.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have double ovens, one convection, one regular gas. I wish they were both convection. Everything cooks faster and the oven heats up faster than the regular gas oven. When we replace, they will both be convection!

edited to add: both ovens are gas.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gas hob + electric convection oven for me, as I am not keen on using gas oven after using one in a rented accommodation.

I used to have a double electric oven - full size one at the bottom, and a smaller one on top with a grill, installed at mid-height so that I did not have to bend down in order to access the content of the large oven. It also meant I did not have to stand in front of a warm oven while cooking on the hob. I loved that oven, as it was very versatile.

The kitchen in my current house is not big enough to have a double oven installed at mid-height. Besides, I discovered the wonders that is a combi-microwave oven with grill (for me, microwave is handy for defrosting, making popcorn/quick nachos and cooking vegetables), so I opted for a single oven installed below the counter. I used the combi-microwave a lot more than the big oven until it died over a year ago. I have not got round to replacing it, however, I intend to do so eventually.

If I were to design a new kitchen for a new house, I would make sure there is sufficient room for a double oven installed at mid-height, with an electric main oven with pyrolytic cleaning facility, and a smaller combi-microwave oven with grill on top.

As for the hob, I would go modular, and have a gas lava grill, a gas wok burner, and 2 x (1 big + 1 small) induction hobs.

That should do it for me.

DK :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just went through this! Our old range/oven died and we had to replace it. None of my recipes are converted to convection. I mostly bake and not broil. The oven has a switch to turn on the convection which we have not used. The only negative I can see with the convection is it does take up a bit more space in the oven as it has to accomodate the fan. The power boil gas range top is awesome and really cooks things fast. I bought a GE 750 series and so far am very happy.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Many thanks for replying. I think I will get the convection oven as I like that it cooks things faster. I now have to decide if I want a grill on the top. All your opinions helped so thanks again.

Annette

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know what kind of range and hood you have now. But a gas oven will put out a lot of heat and fumes, and you will need a more powerful hood vented to the outdoors, especially if you have a small kitchen. If you have an electric oven but gas burners, you might get away with a lesser hood. Small kitchens and gas ranges just aren't a great combo unless you have adequate ventilation for makeup air, and a great exhaust hood to get rid of the heat and fumes. If doing it over, I would get the convection oven because it creates more even heat throughout the oven, vs. regular gas ovens that can have hot spots.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a gas stove and gas oven with convection. I like convection for pizza, casseroles, bread and potatoes. It cooks them really well. I usually use bake for things like cookies and cakes. The convection does cook faster. I don't think I'd buy a stove without convection now that I am used to it.

The quick boil is great for big pots of soup or cooking a big pot of pasta quickly.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Thanks again for replying. I did get the convection oven, with the fifth burner for the griddle. and self cleaning, sealed burners and digitized controls. I think all the bells and whistles. I also got a simmer burner and fast boil. And it is stainless steel.

I did buy a new range hood, but my range is on an inside wall so cannot vent to the outside. I have used this type of venting system before so I think it will be OK. I would have liked a modern big one, but my kitchen is too small for that.

This stove is a Samsung. I have been very happy with Samsung products in the past so I felt good with this purchase.

Now to the most fabulous news beside the product, is the price. I went looking with a top dollar price in my mind of $1,000.00, and found they are putting things on sale before Black Friday, which is when I intended to go shopping for it. I actually like Best Buy and looked on line there. Guess the price = $649.00 with installation. I couldn't believe it. The stores are price-matching and Home depot and ABT stores had it for 2.00 less. Friday it will be installed and am really excited.

Lately I have had such a stream of good luck when purchasing something, I wonder if I should share my other discovery. Oriental rugs that are unbelievably priced, and I checked these out by comparing and researching where they come from. Sears is selling the same rugs for 1500.00 and so is overstock. Walmart has these as well on line for 550.00. The one I bought is a runner to cover bad cat stuff. These are hand made wool rugs, but you have to bid on them. I paid 91.00 for a 32 in by 10 foot carpet. 30 bids) Its very competitive. I paid 76.00 for my 4x6. Yes free shipping. Unbelievable.

Happy Monday All.

Annette

I bought another 4x6, but I think the color is not what I thought is was, so I'm trying to cancel that order.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um, can you please take me shopping with you? Such a bargain hunter! Congrats on all your great finds :)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a crazy deal! Are you in the US? The lowest I've seen for a similar Samsung in Canada is $1199, and even that is a low price. When we were shopping, they were all around $2000. We ended up finding a sale on a Fridgidaire Gallery for $1100 and thought that was good.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lyra,

The retail price on the stove at Best Buy was listed at 1099. It was listed at Home Depot at 1199.00. I think this is the Black Friday deal. I didn't think I was going to get all this even for the thousand I was willing to spend. So I got the new range hood for the savings.

Annette

I received my first oriental rug yesterday. Not quite the quality I expected, but it will do. It still is the same as those higher priced ones as they come from the same areas. The wool is a bit course. I have wool rugs that are smoother. So not quite the high I was looking for.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Lowes is doing some huge model changeover now, too.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a regular and convection oven all in one, I got it last year...I am not sold on the convection yet..everytime I cook on its seems to get burned or under cooked.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results