shape
carat
color
clarity

help! designing oec omc and Sapphire octagon ring please

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EDIT: I this is the wrong thread for this kind of stuff please let me know, sometimes I cannot tell where the lines between CS and Rockytalk are for projects like these.

Hello, I have some stones that have just been lying around and I've decided to finally use them up. i need help deciding hat to do! sorry for the picture heavy posting....

I already know that I want to set them in a recessed octagon milgraine claw prong yellow gold, but as they are cushions, I wonder what that would look like. Clearly less stop sign shaped than with a round stone... My worry is that the shape will just look like a wonky oval instead of a crisp 8 cornered setting. Does anyone have a cushion set in an octagon? google images and a ps search has turned up nada.

Second question: whether to use all the stones in one ring, even though it would be a mix of cushion and round shapes. Would it be better to make just a simple 3 stone ring with the cushions and then search out more 3mm oecs for a half
eternity? I only have 5 OEC melee (3mm), so will be posting a wtb for extra 3mms as ideally I want more finger coverage.

The two omc diamonds face up the same but have a depth variant of over 1.5mm, will this be a problem for the setting that I want?

For the cushions I would have 8 prongs, but for the small oecs I would have just 4 prongs, would this look weird? should I just get 4 prongs on all the stones or do the cushions need the extra security of 8 prongs?
design1.jpg finger.jpg design face down.jpg cushions1.jpg sketch attempt1.jpg

braun sapphire violet.jpg yellow.jpg

Last edited:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are the images I could find of the style I am after. Opinions on whether this would work with cushions at all, the number of prongs, and whether I should mix the cushions with my round melee is a good idea would really help me out. I'm really on the fence about it. Thank you!

LAD addylin.jpg JBG octa 4 prong.jpg JBG victoria octa.jpg jbg octa 3 stone.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yvonne Raley has some ovals in this shape, not quite cushion but closer than rounds. They might be helpful to help you imagine the look of your stones in the octagon setting. I think the first photo is a cushion center,
while the other two photos have oval center stones. il_570xN.933007073_468m.jpg il_570xN.1198288334_r1ut.jpg il_570xN.1022060177_5848.jpg

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks mochiko, I somehow missed those in my trawl through the internet! and I LOVE your nigiri-cat avatar.:D

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a beautiful project. The only advice I have is to check the horizontal measurements carefully and maybe go with a 5 stone instead of 7 stone if your finger size is small, the end stones could poke the sides of your fingers and make the ring uncomfortable to wear if it's too bulky (but really that's a personal preference).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I throw an alternative out?
Center sapphire, larger diamonds on left and right, two smaller diamonds at North and South. Then use smaller melee to make a halo. I wonder if it could be a hexagonal Halo.

I just feel like you might be forin

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel I am not the brightest gemstone in the box; what did you mean? I have 'sketched' what I think you meant but tell me if I'm way off. What would the empty space between the centre stones and halo be? I am not skilled in the drawing department... Even my mom didn't keep any of my artwork as a kid. I'm very open to alternative layouts. IMG_20170610_230526.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No that's not what I'm describing. This is what I mean.

cbc7b1bd45c4c048f6136370572da0ae.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results