shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Designing a HW Halo Micro pave E Ring

YaelMay

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone -

I have been reading the amazing Pricescope about diamonds and then months about Harry Winston Halo Micropave Engagement Rings - which I have settled on getting a custom made ring. (Cast just looks like there too much metal) Ideally, I love Leon Mege's work, and am currently in the process of receiving quotes from him and have also received quotes in the past, I did see a very nice ring on JBEG, Steve Kirsch and ERD and am currently in the process of comparing price points. I've also been referred by my best friend to a jeweler who works for Facets Collection - has anyone worked with them before? Her ERing is custom made by this jeweler and its gorgeous.

I am in love with Leon Mege's Adrianna and Harry Winston - some of the cushion/round cuts that have been posted are AMAZING. So I was hoping all of you wise and knowledgeable price scopers can help guide me.I myself will be getting an RB.

Also, my boyfriend and I have been eyeing 2 stones from a Jeweler we know, both are almost the same price. Any thoughts?

1) GIA Round Brilliant Stone 1
Carat: 1.35
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Cut: VG, VG, Excellent Table: 57 Pavilion: 61
Flor: Slight
H&A - Stone Looks Stunning

1) GIA RB Stone 2
Carat: 1.41
Color: E
Clarity: S1
Cut: Ex, Ex, Ex Table: 58 Pavilion: 62 (7.15 x 7.18x4.44)
Fl: None
Amazing sparkle, H&A not as visible

In your opinion? Who has the best quality of Pave? Steve Kirsch or Leon Mege? Who does best Harry Winston-like halos?

Next question after I get my quotes back from Leon Mege, JBEG, Lauren B, Facets, ERD, Steve Kirsch, I'll share price points. Until then, I'm back to picking my stone and look forward to all your suggestions!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
hard to tell from the numbers (although can do a HCA check for you if you have the depth and crown angel as well. But since you have the diamonds in front of you to see, just go with whichever one you like the most. numbers are numbers....

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at all the same designers you did. Love them all. Went with a designer fro. Southern California "Sareen Jewelry". I am making changes. I should have a CAD soon. cushion halo for 1.30 RB I also love JbEG and asked for a quote. But decided aginst the round halo.

http://www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com/catalog/show_image.php?url=/catalog/images/large_DTC109_2.jpg..

Here is a picture the is similar but I am not doing the split shank and I added pave to the basket which is also ging to have a different shape. Also the Simons will go all the wY around the band with only a small space for sizing. I love the double prongs.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
In terms of pave work, you aren't comparing apples to apples with the people you listed. I personally would stick to Leon Mege and Steven Kirsch. My ering is from Leon Mege and my wedding band is from Steven Kirsch - their work is very close.

Leon, Steven, Leon
CharmyPoo%20-%204Rings1.jpg
CharmyPoo%20-%20WeddingSet%20-%20Rocks3.jpg

Maytal Hannah
CharmyPoo-MaytalHannah-Rocks-Closeup1.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
not all of those are handmade rings (although some are very nice!)

do you have more information on the diamonds? (crown/pav angle or GIA report number?)

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto re: your list is not comparing apples to apples.... If you want a custom ring, I highly recommend Steven. He has a slightly better price than Leon and with 100% customer care (not everyone can deal with Leon), which you would need for a custom made project.

Here is my SK ring:

7_1.jpg

24.jpg

YaelMay

Rough_Rock
MinMin - the diamonds both look spectacular to the eye. I'm leaning towards the 1.41 E SI1, not just because its a triple excellent (I try to tell myself that it doesn't mean it will look better but I like the perfection of Ex Ex Ex) Originally, I wanted an SI1 and and F color, for the extra value, as I doubt anyone (except a pricescoper! ;)) )will look at my stone, in its setting, with loops, and then their is the constraint of the budget. Color and cut were more important to me, and size.

The 1.41 E SI1 is absolutely eye clean facing up, with a tiny spec near the culet and an additional 4 tiny wisps in the pavilion that you can't see unless you have a loop. Comparatively, the 1.35 G VS2 seems perfect even with the loop to me, some small clouds toward an edge that is "prongable."

Cost: 1.41 E SI1 costs $600 more, which isn't throwing me over the edge in terms of price differential.

Light Performance: As mentioned, both are gorgeous and sparkle, in low light and outdoor. (I would need GOG to do the comparison with their lights and lenses to tell a difference).

My decision is leaning towards the E color is whiter than G, the 1.41 > 1.35, while SI1 is lower clarity than VS2, I'm willing to make concessions here. And lastly, Ex Ex Ex makes pulls me more than the VG VG Ex, although its somewhat meaningless. The only true sacrifice is the H&A is very visible in the 1.35 G and slightly less contrast/pronounced arrows in the 1.41 E.

Any additional thoughts before I make the decision?

YaelMay

Rough_Rock
Mayk -

I'm looking forward to your cad. Southern California "Sareen Jewelry" ring looks gorgous. And the pave looks delicate and minimal ont he metal (like Leon). My quote from JBEG was competitive, but as most people said, I'd prefer hand work and I'm not looking apples to apples. I did like the curve on the stems of JBEG's halos and the 30% tilt of the melee on the halo away from the center stone minimized the look of the mental.

What shape will your basket be?

I'll also be adding pave to the stems and opting for no donut (i'll post pictures of similar rings). Leon Mege's Adrianna have donuts, and since my RB will be less than 2 carats, I'm afraid there won't be enough curve on the stems, (I would like a martini shaped basket/crown) so I am not doing a donut, and instead will try to have the stems come as close together at the base of the shank. I know it may not make sense yet.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures! I love the double claws as well - I'm going for single claws - but maybe I'll change my mind!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
we need more info to tell you about the stones, crown angles. you can use the HCA listed under the tools section and you'd want a score of under 2. See if you can get all the numbers from your jeweler. I'd also stick with GIA ex/ex or AGS000. That said, you are looking at them in person and may love a stone for whatever reason. Just make sure you are doing a search here and paying a fair price and not overpaying for a stone.

I'd go with Steven or Leon for a pave ring for the reasons already mentioned above :))

YaelMay

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo -

Your rings are gorgeous!! The pave work of both Leon Mege and Steve Kirsch is truly exceptional. The ring by Maytal Hannah looks incredible as well. Do you know if all 3 pieces (Leon's, Steve's and Maytals) were done with full cut or single cut melee? When I spoke with a jeweler, I was told that single cut is more expensive but has more flash and sparkle as small melee than full cut tiny stones.

I should have all my quotes back later today for prices - I'm guessing Steve Kirsch and Leon will be similarly prices, and I'm curious to see how my best friend's jeweler at Facets Collection and ERD compare. I have a feeling ERD, JBEG will be closer to each other in price - but of course my eye is set on custom hand piece by THE pave artists. I have no idea how the jeweler at Facets Collection will price - but some of the Harry Winston like work my best friend showed be has been exceptional.

Thank you for the gorgeous pictures of your rings - I hope mine ends up looking as beautiful. Also, how wide is your shank in the Leon and the wedding band by Steve? Do you now the size melee that was used?

YaelMay

Rough_Rock
frankiextah:

Your ring is unbelievable - wow. I saw the post with your ring and congratulations on such piece - Steve's work speaks for itself through you pictures. My stone isn't as large and perfect as yours, but I hope the end result of my ring will look very similar to yours (except with 1 row of pave on the halo) Your pictures inspire my ring!!

Now as for the quotes....

BHMom

Rough_Rock
I was also in the same situation. I went with Victor Canera to do my HW inspired halo reset. My center is a 2ct GIA I colored round. I actually created a thread here to help me pin down some of the specifications of my ring. You can look it up under my name I think, maybe it would help you. The pave work I saw at his shop was amazing! I'm going to be going to his shop for a fitting and to make sure the ring is just the way I want it on Friday or Monday, before the diamonds are set. I'll update my post with some pictures. Might be another option for you. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with these guys!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
regarding melee, single cuts are nice and more $ than full cuts but they are also harder to replace if you lose one. You may end up spending a fortune just shipping it back to Leon or Steven (if you aren't in NY).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
YaelMay|1303848976|2905576 said:
CharmyPoo -

Your rings are gorgeous!! The pave work of both Leon Mege and Steve Kirsch is truly exceptional. The ring by Maytal Hannah looks incredible as well. Do you know if all 3 pieces (Leon's, Steve's and Maytals) were done with full cut or single cut melee? When I spoke with a jeweler, I was told that single cut is more expensive but has more flash and sparkle as small melee than full cut tiny stones.

I should have all my quotes back later today for prices - I'm guessing Steve Kirsch and Leon will be similarly prices, and I'm curious to see how my best friend's jeweler at Facets Collection and ERD compare. I have a feeling ERD, JBEG will be closer to each other in price - but of course my eye is set on custom hand piece by THE pave artists. I have no idea how the jeweler at Facets Collection will price - but some of the Harry Winston like work my best friend showed be has been exceptional.

Thank you for the gorgeous pictures of your rings - I hope mine ends up looking as beautiful. Also, how wide is your shank in the Leon and the wedding band by Steve? Do you now the size melee that was used?

Thank you very much. I went with full cuts for these rings but I also have rings with single cuts. I am comfortable with either.

I found Steven and Leon to be compareable. ERD and WF are very close but JbEG was more expensive. However, I still find Steven and Leon to be far better in pave and metal work but that is my own personal opinion.

My Leon and Steven bands are 1.5 mm. The melee is around 1.3 - 1.4 mm.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1303958385|2906761 said:
I found Steven and Leon to be compareable. ERD and WF are very close but JbEG was more expensive. However, I still find Steven and Leon to be far better in pave and metal work but that is my own personal opinion.

My Leon and Steven bands are 1.5 mm. The melee is around 1.3 - 1.4 mm.

I believe JbEG defaults to single cuts, which may account for the pricing difference

Mbhc13

Rough_Rock
I am designing almost the same ring! I'm going for a Halo micropave with curved stems that come together at the base (no donut). The goal is to get the perfect Halo look and also have the wedding band sit very close to the eRing. I spoke with JbEG, Steven K, BGD, WF and a few others and decided to go with Steven. He created an initial mock up of the design in the first days after we spoke and now that I have the stone we will be working to finalize the design. Can't wait to see how close our designs end up.

YaelMay

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's feedback and support - the next exciting step - QUOTES CAME IN! Diamond is bought!!!

My gorgeous stone:

GIA Round Brilliant
7.16mm -7.18 mm - 4.44 mm
Carats: 1.41
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Cut + Polish + Symmetry: Excellent - Excellent - Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Table: 58%
Depth: 62%
Culet: None
Girdle: Medium
HCA: 3 - but visually, it falls into the small area of the chart where exception light performance is exhibited
(We chose the 1.41 stone over the 1.35 G VS2 (VG VG Ex) that was a 1.8 on HCA, and our stone with a HCA of 3.0 sparkled noticibly more than the super HCA score stone. As they say - numbers are numbers - but visual performance sometimes is different than the story the numbers tell. If you CAN look at it, do look at, if not, then use numbers to mitigate risk of non-performing stone)

My quotes for the Harry winston-like round halo came back from Leon Mege, Steve Kirsch, ERD, Facets Collection (PJ Ralph is jeweler), (JBEG came in a few days ago). I didn't quote with BGD or WF because I thought their pave wasn't thin and dainty enough for my particular taste, based on the website.

Next post I'll describe everything.....

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Hi Mayk,

I like Sareen's look. Would you mind sharing the cost of the setting?

Thanks!

Mayk|1303828494|2905299 said:
I looked at all the same designers you did. Love them all. Went with a designer fro. Southern California "Sareen Jewelry". I am making changes. I should have a CAD soon. cushion halo for 1.30 RB I also love JbEG and asked for a quote. But decided aginst the round halo.

http://www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com/catalog/show_image.php?url=/catalog/images/large_DTC109_2.jpg...

Here is a picture the is similar but I am not doing the split shank and I added pave to the basket which is also ging to have a different shape. Also the Simons will go all the wY around the band with only a small space for sizing. I love the double prongs.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am doing a cushion halo with stones all the way around the shank except for a sizing space. The basket at the bottom will also have stones and the total was $3000 and change.. my fiance paid...so I may be off $100... I am attaching the preliminary pictures.. they don't have the stones in the basket but my ring will have stones in the "V's" at the bottom of the basket... So excited.. the two settings he sent me to see this work were stunning. I had looked at Precision, Mark Patterson (I didn't like how low it was set) and Verrigo (which I also loved)... but when I saw his work.. it was love.. now to work towards bands to match to go each side... so glad I have something else to look forward too...

WR17855-144 003.jpg

WR17855-144 001.jpg

WR17855-144 002.jpg

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the follow up. That setting is beautiful. Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results