shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding on an E ring please!

MountainCruiser

Rough_Rock
Hello! New to the forum. Have been pawing around a lot learning about gems and engagement rings. First off... Thank you for all your expertise! From a first time jewelry buyer, Thank You! Now for the question/advise... I've decided that I'm going to take that next step and propose to my girlfriend. I want this to be a surprise, and have narrowed the ring selection down to a Van Craeynest 484 ( http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&startRow=21&pid=30 ) in rose gold with a platinum setting with a Jeff White Asscher cut blue sapphire, or a Van Craeynest 457 ( http://www.vancraeynest.com/index.php?page=gallery&startRow=28&pid=94 ) in rose gold with a platinum setting with a round cut Jeff White blue sapphire. I did a little recon, and am attaching pictures (*on my hand. Sorry for the ugly fingers. :) ) of her current jewelry. (*This will take a few posts. Please bear with.) Mostly costume jewelry, but am looking for confirmations (or disagreement) on my thoughts.

She is an art person, and I know that in regards to art, she, "loves Art Deco, but loves loves Art Nouveau" paintings and architecture style. We're both an "old soul" so to speak, and I feel like her clothing style goes both ways. Also, in paying close attention to hints that she has dropped, I know that she has specifically hinted towards liking "vintage art deco rings." I initially really liked the Van Craeynest 484, but knowing that she also really likes Art Nouveau started second guessing myself and took a real hard look at the Van Craeynest 457. I think that she would love either piece, but after taking a good look through her jewelry collection, I still think that I'm leaning towards the 484. However, I wanted to ask you all to take a look and either confirm that I'm on the right track or set me straight knowing that I might have blinders on, so to speak, since I personally like the 484 better.

So with the "evidence" at hand, what are your thoughts?

Thanks! -Adam

img_20140226_202641_843.jpg

img_20140226_202701_795.jpg

img_20140226_202741_271.jpg

img_20140226_202800_060.jpg

MountainCruiser

Rough_Rock
Round 11 of pictures. (*Last one.)

**Thanks for your patience. And thanks in advance for your opinions!

img_20140226_210440_070.jpg

img_20140226_210445_748.jpg

redroze

Shiny_Rock
I had to laugh as that is some serious investigative work you've done there! That's very sweet to try to find something she loves.

She has eclectic tastes and i'd caution you against using her costume jewelry to guess what she'd want her e ring to look like. She dropped you a big hint - Art Deco. Check out Leigh Jay Nacht to get a sense of the different Art Deco styles out there. A lot of their settings would look stunning with a sapphire.

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=20

What I do see as a trend in her jewelry box is ornate, brushed metals, a bit bohemian. Have a look at Jewels by Erica Grace.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's so sweet how much research you are putting into her jewelry tastes! But I have to agree with redroze that you can't really judge her engagement ring style from costume jewelry. In my opinion, Art Deco jewelry has some of the best designs ever. I haven't actually seen very many Art Nouveau engagement rings. I see more pendants and brooches in the Art Nouveau style.

I would look through the vintage jewelery offered by Jewels by Erica Grace (as of tomorrow, March 1st, they are actually separating into two shops -- Jewels by Grace and Love Affair Diamonds (Erica's shop)). So twice as many pretty vintage things to look at!

Also maybe browse Pinterest for Art Deco & Art Nouveau engagement rings, just to get some inspiration.

Last but not least -- Van Crayenest does beautiful work, so you probably can't go wrong (though some PSers have been wary of VC since it was sold to a new owner, but I don't know all the details there). Could you post pics of the two styles you are considering? I'm not familiar with them by numbers.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another suggestion with a genuine Antique diamond and sapphires;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/vintage-and-antique/97ct-old-european-cut-diamond-and-sapphire-3-stone-ring.html#.UxHKBO0Vq5Q

Some of their Antique settings since I assume you have the sapphire already;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/erika-winters-bridal.html

I think both settings you have chosen from VC are beautiful, not strictly deco, but beautiful none the less, your first choice is more vintage looking your second choice, which I love is more modern looking to my eye.

MountainCruiser

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses and the opinions/words of caution! I am just getting back on here now as I was with her all weekend. :) I will definitely take a look at the Jewels by Grace and the antiqueengagementrings.com although I am pretty set on a Van Craeynest ring. I live close to Redlands, CA where the factory is now and I am acquaintances with Mr. Emerson's daughter and son-in-law who help run Emerson & Farrar. So I've had the opportunity to visit the factory, meet the artists who create their pieces, and watch (in amazement) them at their craft. Thanks again for your help!!!

-Adam

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Adam, in that case the VC rings are stunning, I don't think you will go wrong with either design they are both beautiful rings!!!

Mnmuffin

Rough_Rock
What a guy you are! As a younger woman who loves Art Deco but loves the floral feel of art nouveau I would go with the second choice hands down. It's a stunner. Also-has she said she likes rose gold for an engagement ring? I have some Rose gold pieces but wouldn't necessarily want it for an e-ring, it doesn't feel as timeless and Inpersonally would prefer platinum or WG with a sapphire. Good luck, anyone would be thrilled with all the thought you have put into this- you could always also propose with the sapphire and let her pick a VC setting!

MountainCruiser

Rough_Rock
So in playing around a little bit last night (by no means a graphic design guy, and just using word) I put together a little mock-up of those two rings, plus one other. Which helped me to conclusively decide on an asscher cut no matter which ring I end up choosing. Woohoo! One step closer. :) So any feedback on the attached pdf is appreciated.

Mnmuffin - Thank you for your reply. It sounds like you and my girlfriend have very similar tastes. So I was hoping that you would take a look at the attached pdf and let me know your thoughts? And in paying attention to her hints, I do know that she does like rose gold. In my mind, I also think that a blue sapphire would go pretty well with rose gold. But I will have the stone in hand when I make the final decision on the ring, so will definitely put it against all the different metals to be sure. Thanks!

Attachments

• vcs_with_asscher_sapphires.pdf
    368.9 KB · Views: 118

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not Mnmuffin but...I the stones you are looking at and I like VC settings but I'm not sure I like them both together. I think a round
sapphire would go better.

If I had to choose one I would pick the more ornate setting (the first link you posted).

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) Does she like sapphires? None of her existing things are sapphires or look like one
2) Would she like an Asscher shape over a round shape? Because again I am not seeing anything like this in her jewellery and I am not sure the shape goes as well as a round stone with the rings you have chosen, out of your mock ups the middle one looks the best with that shaped stone, the last one is O.K and the first one doesn't work with it at all.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Just a note, I think you are AWESOME in your desire to pick the perfect things for her. Everygirl should be so lucky! That being said, I am wondering if she wants a diamond or a sapphire? She likes line and form, but I think she is very specific in her likes. She is a designer/artist with strong ideas of beauty, as seen in her jewelry collection. Not to say you cannot pick this out, but I think she special :)

While the surprise idea is great, maybe you could get her input and pick a setting together? Sort of a team building exercise :) You could have the diamond or stone set in a temp setting and tell her you wanted her input. She will wear this ring for the rest of her life.

Alt senario 2 is to run some ideas by her and have her rank the rings in her preferred settings 1-10 maybe...and see what looks float to the top. THEN surprise her.

Sorry, sometimes I am more practical than romantic :) I am getting engaged soonish and my boyfriend is letting me help pick out...because I find the design part SO FUN!

MountainCruiser

Rough_Rock
Re: Help deciding on an E ring please! *Updates!

Hello again! Just wanted to give you all an update. I ended up going with the Van Craeynest 457 in rose gold with a #4 Fleur De Lis head in platinum with a Jeff White royal asscher cut sapphire. And it came out fantastic. It took quite a while to get everything completed, but I finally picked up the completed ring about a month ago and surprised her with it last Saturday...She said yes! :appl: She really likes the ring too, and I got to take a breath of relief knowing that I got it right. Thank gosh! :lol: Here are a couple pictures. One of us and two of the ring. Thanks again for all your help!

-Adam

adam__amp__heather_el_morocco.jpg

heather_s_ring__top_view_.jpg

heather_s_ring__side_view_.jpg

JulieKae

Rough_Rock
great choice, that's the one I would've picked and the sapphire looks beautiful :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results