shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding between two diamonds

Kevin8998

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I’m new here, this is my first post and I was just looking to get some advice on two princess cut rings I purchased.

I have been shopping around for rings and ended up with James Allen. After doing tons of research I ended up with two diamonds. Since they offer free returns I just bought both and wanted to compare them in person. So here are the specs of each:

Diamond A:

.90 ct, I color, VS1, and very good cut. That is from GIA.

Diamond B:

.71 ct, G color, VS1, and super ideal cut. This diamond is labeled as James Allen’s “true hearts” collection. This report is from AGS

Basically I was torn about the entire smaller, better quality vs bigger lower quality thing so I wanted to compare myself and I know the size difference here is small but I struggle to see any difference at all. Also when I take them outside as far as light performance and everything they both look very very similar and beautiful. So that leaves me even more confused about which to keep. They were literally 10 dollars difference in price. Here is a photo of them both on my hand. Sorry if the quality isn’t the best I’m not very good at taking diamond pics ans if needed I will post more later.

With the pic of them on my finger The ring on the top (or right depending on orientation) is the smaller .71 ct diamond.

And here is each in the ring boxes, the one with the hinges showing is again the smaller .71 ct.

Thank you in advance!

20160926_172649.jpg

20160926_173206.jpg

20160926_173215.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to take them in all different lighting sources and see how they react. From the not-so-upclose pictures they both look
nice (to my eyes).

Love the setting you picked. It looks really nice with a princess cut!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the size difference is negligible to your eye, go for the Cut and Color of the AGS stone. Those things are beauty factors that will keep on giving. AGS Ideal princess cuts are rare birds. The light performance requirements are strict and not many cutters have the skill to make the grade.

Kevin8998

Rough_Rock
I do have the aset image of the smaller .71 ct diamond so can you guys tell me if it's good or not? I had three diamonds compared by James Allen and then said this was the best.

Thanks for the input. It's hard to take a super close up with just my phone since any closer I get and it refuses to focus.

530894.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kevin8998|1475088470|4081718 said:
I do have the aset image of the smaller .71 ct diamond so can you guys tell me if it's good or not? I had three diamonds compared by James Allen and then said this was the best.

Thanks for the input. It's hard to take a super close up with just my phone since any closer I get and it refuses to focus.
Kevin,
As a trade person I cannot recommend or criticize another vendor's stone. I'm sure you can understand the reason for that rule. And my earlier comment was general, and pretty much a no-brainer, in terms of recommending going with a better cut and better color diamond if the apparent size is minimal.

In terms of the ASET, it is good. A balanced mix of red and green, some contrast and not a lot of leakage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results