shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding between diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abouttobeengaged

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking on the board and just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors--my boyfriend and I have learned so much, and have done a total 180 in the way we''ve been thinking about the engagement ring for me.

I''d love some expert opinions on which diamond to pick for my tension set ring to be done by Boone Rings (also discovered via this board). We''ve narrowed it down to two, and it''s basically a trade-off between size and cut, since both are round brilliant (with medium blue fluro--yay!), and I''m wondering which difference would be more obvious to the naked eye.

Diamond #1
1.0 carat exactly
F SI1 eyeclean
Blue Nile ideal cut and GIA excellent cut
Excellent polish and symmetry
6.39 x 6.42 x 4.00 mm
Medium to slightly thick faceted girdle
Depth 62.5%
Table 54%
Crown angle 35.0 degrees
Pavilion Angle 40.8 degrees
No culet
HCA score 1.7 (ex-ex-ex-vg)
Price $5152

Diamond #2
1.11 carats
G SI1 eyeclean
Blue Nile ideal cut and GIA excellent cut
Very good polish and excellent symmetry
Medium to slightly thick faceted girdle

According to GIA report:
6.60 x 6.63 x 4.15 mm
Depth 62.7%
Table 54%
No culet

According to Sarin report
6.60 x 6.62 x 4.14 mm
Depth 62.6%
Table 53.7%
0.4% culet
Crown angle 35.2 degrees
Pavilion Angle 40.8 degrees
HCA score 2.1 (vg-vg-vg-vg), but changing the pavilion angle, for example, by 0.1 degrees turns it into a 1.7
Price $5251

Unfortunately, I don''t have the time to see them in person, so I can only go by the paper stats. So if you had to pick, which would you prefer (acknowledging of course, that it''s purely your personal preference!)?

P.S. My ring size is 4.5, so I suspect that a 0.11 difference in carat weight might show on my finger

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I can't detect a difference in size of .1 carats so if it were me, I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. Between the two, I'd pick the one with the better HCA which is the first stone. You might be losing some carat weight in the depth of the stone though (both are a little deep for my taste).

I kind of like the numbers on this one better, it has a 1.4 HCA and is a TIC, VG-EX-EX-VG. Bank wire price of $5250:

Click here for BlueNile 1.08 G SI1

abouttobeengaged

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the thoughts--I know it''s silly but even having one additional person''s opinion really helps me not feel any buyer''s remorse :) I actually had looked at the diamond you suggested as well, but the girdle might not be the best for a tension-setting. Regardless, I''m sure we''ll love the ring in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results