shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP:D Day approaching! All thoughts greatly appreciated

njones16

Rough_Rock
Hi all...

I've the following on hold for 24 hours more and at which point I'll be purchasing! Am I getting bang for buck? I'm in the UK and just been into a local jewellers who (obviously) strongly warned me off buying online. But done my research on James Allen and trust they're the real deal...

1.01 Carat
E
SI1
$4,900

Go for it or avoid??

THANK YOU!!

screen_shot_2016-09-22_at_13.png
screen_shot_2016-09-22_at_07.png
screen_shot_2016-09-22_at_13_0.png

njones16

Rough_Rock
Re: HELP:D Day approaching! All thoughts greatly appreciate

I loved it! But purely going off the chat with a JA adviser. Apparently ideally the table % needs to be slightly less than the depth %. I knew nothing about this?

Does the one above not do it for you? Appreciate your opinion

njones16

Rough_Rock

Really do respect and appreciate all opinions...HELP!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

njones16|1474552108|4079551 said:
I loved it! But purely going off the chat with a JA adviser. Apparently ideally the table % needs to be slightly less than the depth %. I knew nothing about this?

Does the one above not do it for you? Appreciate your opinion

No, the one above looks VERY mushy to me outside of the bow-tie area.

With all due respect to the JA adviser, the most important thing to look for is good light return. If you rotate each stone by hand
you can see that the one I linked has more clear, crisp facets reflecting light. Unfortunately, aset images only give half the story
for pears.

Here is the pear you like and the other one right below it. Which one do you think looks better? More organized faceting pattern? More crisp facets? Better light return? You could do a poll asking other users for their input to get other unbiased opinions.

user_pear.png

pear_i_like.png

njones16

Rough_Rock

It's a no brainer...you're right! Yes they convinced me otherwise. It's sold now unfortunately but will spend all night again searching for "the one"

Thanks again

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You'll need to spend longer than a night, I reckon - great pears are difficult to find, it seems!

njones16

Rough_Rock

I know...I've been staring at diamonds for about 2 weeks now...even built myself a spreadsheet. Hey ho...I will not be defeated...I may pass on this one I've got on hold though. Thanks all!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much my friend...that looks stunning!!!! The H wouldn't be a problem for sparkle do you think? Not necessarily have to order tomorrow...more a decision on whether or not to hold the one I had...which I'll let go.

Thanks again for your help

tyty333|1474570569|4079640 said:
I would let the one you have on hold go.

I will help when I get back...are you planning on ordering tomorrow? When I was looking for you I was trying to stay at the
8.7mm length or higher and less than $5k. Is that your budget?

Edit..I would put this on hold while I continue to look. What do you think of it?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.13-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-1872154

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is one I really like.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1976860

Here is the whole list of ones that I liked. I like to shrink them down to about the 4th mark from the bottom and spin them to see
how they act. You can also bring them up in two different windows and compare them.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/?CaratFrom=0.99&CaratTo=30&Color=I,H,G,F,E,D&Clarity=SI2,SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1,IF,FL&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=5080&Sort=Carat%20desc,%20DefaultOrder&ViewsOptions=Images&TabSelected=3&DiamondID=1045045,1913500,1976860,1943671,1872154

The 1.04 F looks sparkly but doesnt have much contrast. It is a large stone though.

Can I ask what type of setting you are planning on putting the stone in?

The D you picked is lovely. I'm going to show you a size difference between it and the H I posted above. This is on a size 5 1/2 with
a 2mm band.

pear_difference.png

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you so so much!!! This is such a great help for me...thank you!

I didn't want to drop below 1C but was drawing a blank so compromised that ahead of colour, clarity etc. The H is an absolute stunner!!!! My only concern is will it appear a little dull/subdued in real life...especially set on an F-G pave setting?

Will have a thorough look at lunch but I honestly feel we have a winner in our ranks!! If you were closer you'd get an invite to the wedding tyty333...

Assuming she says yes! Haaaaaaa

njones16

Rough_Rock

image_117.png

njones16

Rough_Rock

Will a well cut triple X brilliant H-VVS generally sparkle and stand out more/better than a hazy D-SI?

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

njones16|1474617859|4079834 said:
Will a well cut triple X brilliant H-VVS generally sparkle and stand out more/better than a hazy D-SI?
Hello
A hazy/cloudy stone is a no go regardless of the colour. Sparkle is dictated by cut, not colour :)

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

njones16|1474617859|4079834 said:
Hello, not a professional :p but a hazy/cloudy stone is a no go regardless of the colour. A well cut H will sparkle more than a hazy or poorly cut higher color stone

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you...understand! You may not be a professional but you're all more qualified here. I'm an absolute novice haaaaa! I'm sure you can tell...

One more question anyone...why are thick/extremely thick girdle sizes less desirable???

Thanks again all!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

njones16|1474629450|4079852 said:
Thank you...understand! You may not be a professional but you're all more qualified here. I'm an absolute novice haaaaa! I'm sure you can tell...

One more question anyone...why are thick/extremely thick girdle sizes less desirable???

Thanks again all!

Imagine a sandwich made with two pieces of bread, each costing $1 (for example).

Look at it from the top - its measurement are y by z and it will cost $2.

Now, add a third piece of bread in the middle to make a club sandwich.

Look at it again from the top.

Its measurements are still y by z but now the cost of the bread is $3 - the cost has gone up by 50% for no change in visible size.

Diamonds are the same - carrying weight around the girdle means it weighs more (which you pay for) but you can't see it when wearing it, therefore it is costing you more for no benefit!

njones16

Rough_Rock

Got it! Loving your analogy. So it's nothing really to do with appearance...more value for money?

njones16

Rough_Rock

THIS IS IT...

Awaiting imagery on the H 1.01 and then it's make my mind up time with the D! Thank you very much for all your help guys and girls...your patience and assistance to us novices is truly appreciated and valued at this stressful time. Just hope she says YES otherwise I'm holding James Allen to the free returns :lol:

H 1.01
screen_shot_2016-09-23_at_13.png

Or D 0.9
screen_shot_2016-09-23_at_13_0.png

On this...(diamond pictured is a G for your info)
screen_shot_2016-09-23_at_13_1.png

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

How exciting!

Just curious - are you only going for high clarity? is that why you didn't consider the H SI2 and G SI1? :angel:
PS I don't know anything about pears, I'm just here for moral support :appl:

njones16

Rough_Rock

istase2000|1474634723|4079877 said:
How exciting!

Just curious - are you only going for high clarity? is that why you didn't consider the H SI2 and G SI1? :angel:
PS I don't know anything about pears, I'm just here for moral support :appl:

The H SI2 I noticed the bow tie initially. Plus both H and SI2 are the lowest rankings I'd consider I think, so to put them both together made me a little reluctant. However the price...WOW!!!

The G SI1...you know what, I'm not sure why I thought no. Probably due to the table % being larger than the depth %. That means nothing to me but the JA advisers have advised me against diamonds like that.

Thanks for questioning my decision though, genuinely, I need that as it's a big deal and want to make sure it's right.

To be honest I've been staring at diamonds on a screen for weeks now and can't see the wood for the trees. I honestly think though that none of the four in question would be a bad choice...it's just as they're all in front of me it's a huge dilemma!!

THANKS AGAIN

Nik

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

njones16|1474607781|4079819 said:
Thank you so so much!!! This is such a great help for me...thank you!

I didn't want to drop below 1C but was drawing a blank so compromised that ahead of colour, clarity etc. The H is an absolute stunner!!!! My only concern is will it appear a little dull/subdued in real life...especially set on an F-G pave setting?

Will have a thorough look at lunch but I honestly feel we have a winner in our ranks!! If you were closer you'd get an invite to the wedding tyty333...
You are very sweet njones!

Assuming she says yes! Haaaaaaa

With respect to the thick gridle...OohShiney gave a great analogy! However, when looking at fancy cut stones (especially pears that
are difficult to find) a lot of things that you take into consideration for a round stone (because they are plentiful), go down to the
bottom of the list of things to worry about (just like table size...important for rounds, not as important for pears). Most of the
reasoning is because the most important thing you want to find in a pear is good light return (because most of them have poor
light return). If you can find a dozen pears with great light return then you can start worrying about some of the other things like
girdle thickness, excellent symmetry, table size, etc. However, I'm sure you have learned that finding a dozen or so nice pears
with really nice light return (well cut) doesn't usually happen. You sort of have to find the ones you can with good light return and
accept some of the other specs...whether it be a bigger table, a lower clarity, fluorescence, or very good polish. The more you
narrow yourself down on the specs the less likely you will find a beautiful pear with really good light return. If you have LOTS of
time you may be able to narrow your specs down more but you do have to know when to jump on a stone because descent pears
with good light return will get sold.

Also, with respect to istase2000 comments on clarity. Some times you have to jump outside your clarity wish list and go way high
or way low on the clarity chart (for pears). We almost always try to stick with eye-clean.

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you and completely understand!

I "think" I've landed on four (thanks to you) here with good light return. Well, good in my eyes. But I'm just still ever so reluctant to drop to a H when there's similar D's and G's in the mix. I could be naive though?

Wow...never thought this would be so hard...but I'm quite enjoying it!

What would be your pick from the four tyty333??? Just curious

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is your GF's finger size?

njones16

Rough_Rock

US 7
UK O

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

njones16|1474637352|4079891 said:
US 7
UK O

Well, 7 is a little bit on the bigger side so I would take into consideration the size. I wear a 6 3/4.

What 4 have you narrowed it down to? The .9 D and the 1.01 H I know, but what other 2? I will look at them very
close and give an opinion (which you can take into account but this stone is for you and your GF so your opinion matters more).

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you!

The other two are two from your list...

SKU 1872154 1.13 H-SI2
SKU 1913500 1.02 G-SI1

To be honest I've measured a ring she wears on her right hand ring finger...but she also wears that on her right middle finger!! So I actually think her ring finger is more of a 6 3/4

The main criteria for me is sparkle first and size second!

Thank you tyty333

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results