carat
color
clarity

HELP:D Day approaching! All thoughts greatly appreciated

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: HELP:D Day approaching! All thoughts greatly appreciate

yeah, if she's a 7 on her Right hand, her left is probably smaller by 1/4 to 1/2 size. Although if she wears the ring on her middle finger of her right hand, i'd say you could go to a 6.25 and be safe.

Have you thought about a halo for more finger coverage?

no pave on shank
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...iamond-engagement-ring-pear-center-item-17461

Pave shank
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...iamond-engagement-ring-pear-center-item-17441

Falling Edge halo
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you for that...I didn't know that about left and right!

Yeah I'm not really warming to the halo as I prefer the stone to do all the talking and then complemented well by the pave diamonds. And I "think" she'd agree. She's slways said she wants one stone then a number of smaller ones round the band. Obviously I was pretending not to listen but taking mental notes!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, so I had the 4 pages up of the stones rotating...I did not take size/color into account. One stands out more to me as far
as what I would think would be good light return and nice faceting pattern.

It is the 1.13 H/SI2 (wish it was higher color/clarity)

The other 3 all seem to tie for me. I just cant seem to say that one is better than the other with respect to light return/nice
faceting pattern. I wish all of them had better light return up to the north (rounded end).

Your job would be to take the other aspects (color/size) into account and pick the one you think is right for you and your GF.

I would like to take a quick look at .9 stones (staying at G or higher) because I never looked that low. Matter of fact I tried to
stay at 8.7mm size or bigger. I will stay at 8.3 or bigger because that is the size of the D you picked. So ponder the info above
and give me a second.

njones16

Rough_Rock

You're an absolute star thank you so much!!!! Brilliant!

With me opting for no halo I guess bigger would be better I suppose??

Thanks again!!!!!

njones16

Rough_Rock

The more I look the more I'm considering the H SI2...I totally get what you mean!! Looks like this would have a great sparkle??!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Edit...I've made 2 post that did not get posted...Here is the gist of them...

I had another D I wanted you to look at because I know you like that D. This one is slightly bigger than the other one.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.90-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-936936

My take on pears with halos. I'm not fond of them. Pear faceting patterns can be so erratic that when you put little sparkly pave
by them you just end up with a big blur. Leaves the middle stone undistinguished. It does give you a bigger look but not necessarily
a better look. I must add that it does depend on the halo and if a poster wants a halo then so be it. I'm fine with it.

The H does look like it has good light return. Lots of mirrors going on/off and a couple of decent facets stretching out to the
north and south ends.

I tried to find some "H" colored pears in settings to show you but I cant really find any.

njones16

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1474643828|4079937 said:
TEST!!! where are my post?

??? Oh no???

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually, after looking at the smaller versions of the 2 D pears, I think the one you picked has better faceting headed towards the
pointed end.

Oh, the other thing I tried to post but didnt take was...

Is there a way to ask your GF whether she prefer color over size (or vice versa)?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Also, on that H you need to ask if it is eye-clean

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you thank you thank you!! Seems we're on the same page re: Halo's.

That looks amazing!!! The L/W ratio falls outside my chart and is coming in as "poor" on the webpage I look at...should I take that with a pinch of salt??

What about this beauty...

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.91-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-2007731

Really do appreciate your time. Off for a run to clear the head and then I go again for another few hours...

Yes the H is eye clean!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

njones16

Rough_Rock

Will do! What are your thoughts on the one I posted on my previous post?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

njones16|1474644882|4079951 said:
Thank you thank you thank you!! Seems we're on the same page re: Halo's.

That looks amazing!!! The L/W ratio falls outside my chart and is coming in as "poor" on the webpage I look at...should I take that with a pinch of salt??

What about this beauty...

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.91-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-2007731

Really do appreciate your time. Off for a run to clear the head and then I go again for another few hours...

Yes the H is eye clean!

This one looks nice too...shrink it down and compare the flashes to your original D. I think it (the F) may have better faceting up
towards the rounded end.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

Wow, so much progress!

I love the H SI2 for value, size and the fact that you guys think it is one of the best performers! Can't wait to see what you decide on.

Just for reference, my left ring finger is size 4.25 and my right middle finger is a 6/Left middle finger is a 5.5 :lol: I'm right handed, so my right hand is slightly bigger I think. It's amazing she can wear the same ring on the middle finger and ring finger

Also, with the setting, did you want claw prongs instead?

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you!!! Yeah the ring size is a small issue...to be honest it's not that her finger sizes are similar, it's more she doesn't seem to mind/bother about rings being snug fit. But I'd like this to be snug.

Yeah the H SI2 is giving me sleepless nights in a good way, like a guilty pleasure haaaaa!! Just the H is putting me off slightly. Generally speaking as its quite big in size will that show up warmer than a .9 H SI2 with the same features??

njones16

Rough_Rock

***WE HAVE A WINNER***

After weeks and weeks, 100s of diamonds, one long spreadsheet I've found the one!! Which wasn't on my list and just popped up in a random search this morning...

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.91-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2094776

I think it's a beauty!!!

THANK YOU all for all your patience and help with an absolute amateur like me asking stupid questions. You guys are great!

Thanks again all!!!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

Congratulations! Your lady will be so proud to have a D!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi njones16 :)

One thing to consider - Due to the cut (concentration of facets in the point) of pear, heart and marquise diamonds, you will get a concentration of color in the tip. These cuts will show more color than a round brilliant, for example, of the same color would. Also, they will show a graduation of color - from the rounded, bulb end, to the thin, highly faceted tip.

If this does not concern you, G, H and I are all fine. If, however, you want a white tip as well as a white rounded end, or complete coherency of color throughout the stone, you would be wise to stay in the colorless (D-F) range.

I love warm diamonds. And I have an I colored pear which I adore. But it has a definitely creamy/yellowish tip which is obvious to the unaided eye.

Just some extra info. Good luck!

PS I liked the D colored .9ct stone you posted very much.

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thanks for that Mrs B!

I think I prefer the White/crisp rather than warm feel and I think my GF will feel the same.

I was considering dropping to a H but a D at a similar price edged it for me. And realistically this is more my budget due to the duty I need to pay for the UK.

Thank you!

E B

Ideal_Rock

njones16|1474811925|4080563 said:
Thanks for that Mrs B!

I think I prefer the White/crisp rather than warm feel and I think my GF will feel the same.

I was considering dropping to a H but a D at a similar price edged it for me. And realistically this is more my budget due to the duty I need to pay for the UK.

Thank you!

Thought I'd throw one more in for consideration, depending on the price of the other D. It doesn't hit the 8.3mm mark, but the size difference is so tiny, I'd be more concerned with overall brightness (and not just with the one below, with any you see that are close enough to 8mm).

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.95-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-836329 This looks like it may be a bit brighter toward the pointy end, but I think you have several good choices, here. And I agree with going D-G on a pear, esp. if you're going to put it on a pave band.

screen_shot_2016-09-25_at_12.png

njones16

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much...and that is definitely one that is of huge interest!! And the visual is a great help for me to understand the size when on the finger.

Did I say I've finally decided...???!!!?? Well I haven't!! Haaaaa found even more today. Crikey...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

njones16|1474811925|4080563 said:
Thanks for that Mrs B!

Thank you!

I'm with you on this. I have an I - but I also have E's, F's and G's. The E's are my favorite.

E B

Ideal_Rock

njones16|1474824242|4080610 said:
Thank you so much...and that is definitely one that is of huge interest!! And the visual is a great help for me to understand the size when on the finger.

Did I say I've finally decided...???!!!?? Well I haven't!! Haaaaa found even more today. Crikey...

I was a little confused by this post, and then just saw that I completely missed that you'd decided! Ahhh! And then I went and made things more complicated, which I truly didn't mean to do. The one you chose looks very promising.

Please let us know when you've popped the question! A pic wouldn't hurt, either! :cheeky:

njones16

Rough_Rock

E B|1474833233|4080641 said:
njones16|1474824242|4080610 said:

I just scrolled up and saw that I completely missed that you'd decided! Ahhh! And then I went and made things more complicated, which I truly didn't mean to do.

LOL don't be silly...I really do appreciate it...I've not ordered yet just got it on hold just to make sure. Honestly thank you...I'll always accept more suggestions

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

Have you decided yet? :angel:
It seems the D VS2 faces up quite big for its size
Did you get an aset?

njones16

Rough_Rock

Hi!

Ok so it looks like I went against what I've learned and I opted for the D SI1 0.95C suggested to me above.

It really did win me over even though it was below 8mm in length.

The D VS2 didn't have an ASET and the more I compared them side by side the more the D SI1 was jumping out at me. And the ASET on this one is phenomenal!! I just couldn't risk the VS2 without seeing it.

Also as I'm based in the UK I've got to take a hit on the tax and duty...this one ticked that box as it was $600 cheaper.

I honestly do feel a little guilty for going against the advice of many who spent a lot of time helping me. All your help was greatly appreciated. I learnt a lot!! It was a tough decision but all your help has made me confident I've come to the right decision.

So it's paid for and ordered so now I've just got to sit back and wait.

Thanks again everybody...it really does mean a lot!

Nik

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

njones16|1475080512|4081664 said:
Hi!

Ok so it looks like I went against what I've learned and I opted for the D SI1 0.95C suggested to me above.

It really did win me over even though it was below 8mm in length.

The D VS2 didn't have an ASET and the more I compared them side by side the more the D SI1 was jumping out at me. And the ASET on this one is phenomenal!! I just couldn't risk the VS2 without seeing it.

Also as I'm based in the UK I've got to take a hit on the tax and duty...this one ticked that box as it was $600 cheaper.

I honestly do feel a little guilty for going against the advice of many who spent a lot of time helping me. All your help was greatly appreciated. I learnt a lot!! It was a tough decision but all your help has made me confident I've come to the right decision.

So it's paid for and ordered so now I've just got to sit back and wait.

Thanks again everybody...it really does mean a lot!

Nik
Not at all, you did well and congratulations! Everyone would say go for the stone that has the best ASET and you didn't overpay for clarity which is a plus!

Please show us handshots after you propose :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results