shape
carat
color
clarity

Help comparing two H S1 1.5xct diamonds

wkenmomo

Rough_Rock
First post here!

Budget for the stone is 9k and target is 1.4ct stone (fluorescence preferred).

Below are specs of the 2 candidates. Stone 1 might not be eye clean. Stone 2 seems to be worse on idealscope and is $1k more.

Any recommendation to other stone will be highly appreciated=)! Probably being a newbie, I can't tell which stone is cut better from JA's videos and asking their rep for the GIA quickly became exhausting.

Stone 1(link):

cert.jpeg
3jF99AJhxdQ.png

Stone 2 (link):
cert (1).jpeg
Pr6qKK6u7Lz.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither! :knockout:

First one is cut too deep at 62.9%. The second one is a flat top with a table % > depth %.

wkenmomo

Rough_Rock
Neither! :knockout:

First one is cut too deep at 62.9%.

That's true, it will appear smaller but it's cheaper. How about eye clean?

The second one is a flat top with a table % > depth %.
Flat tops appear bigger and this one does have perfect dimensions. According to AGS charts, for table 61%, pavilion 41.0 crown 33.0 is one of three possible AGS 0 ranking. HCA also scores this dimension around 1. Is there anything else besides cut going against flat tops?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first is cheaper b/c of the deep cut + strong blue fluor.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Size wise, this one looks nice but just under 1.4
Link
1593841141976.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think stone #1's price is attractive.The IS is alright. But it gets leaky quickly if you tilt a bit, which is shown in the video. #2 is not priced well. IS is not good. It is not evenly cut.

But with your budget and since you do not mind fluo and minor imperfection in the cut, I would spend some time and try to find an eye clean 1.4~1.5 F/E/D SI1/2.
That's how I would spend 9k if I were you.

If your budget allows....
I know it is deep. But it is a 1.5c D.
or

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one popped up on the PS search tool. Could check if eye clean?

There‘s also this one at JA with an AGS cert,

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come back and tell us what you think

wkenmomo

Rough_Rock
Sorry for some reason I didn’t get email notification and thought that nobody bothered replying.

See the messages and then busy putting the order with JA. Went with 1.5c D one because it hit the magical number 1.5:)

Let’s see how it turns up!

Thanks for your guy’s help. Was really busting my head looking over all those diamonds

wkenmomo

Rough_Rock
I think stone #1's price is attractive.The IS is alright. But it gets leaky quickly if you tilt a bit, which is shown in the video. #2 is not priced well. IS is not good. It is not evenly cut.

But with your budget and since you do not mind fluo and minor imperfection in the cut, I would spend some time and try to find an eye clean 1.4~1.5 F/E/D SI1/2.
That's how I would spend 9k if I were you.

If your budget allows....
I know it is deep. But it is a 1.5c D.
or

Yeah I believe that everything can be good with the right price. Glad to know that it’s a good discount!

How do you tell that it leaks light when tilted?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I believe that everything can be good with the right price. Glad to know that it’s a good discount!

How do you tell that it leaks light when tilted?
All diamonds leak light when tilted. It is just how severe it is and how quick it happens.

A facet with strong light return appears solid, crisp, and often one color with clear straight borders.

A leaky facet is less distinctive and unresponsive.

Blue: light return
Red: leakage
Screenshot_20200706-084141_Chrome.jpg

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
All diamonds leak light when tilted. It is just how severe it is and how quick it happens.

A facet with strong light return appears solid, crisp, and often one color with clear straight borders.

A leaky facet is less distinctive and unresponsive.

Blue: light return
Red: leakage
Screenshot_20200706-084141_Chrome.jpg

Not sure I see it @flyingpig . I would love to though. Can you maybe show some other examples? I am always trying to get a better understanding. Thank you!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results