Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Choosing Lab Grown Oval

CrabClawHypothesis

Rough_Rock
I will be purchasing a lab grown oval stone for an engagement ring soon and was looking for some help with regard to IDing potential stones. I have identified a few that are within my budget (=< $3000) and that seem to be a good balance of characteristics (clarity, depth %, L/W ratio, face dimensions, etc). Of course, I am only minimally educated on this subject and am worried I just don't have a good eye for them. What are your thoughts on these stones specifically, and is there anything obvious I am missing when IDing potential stones?

Thanks for your help!

1.29, H, VS1 - https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/oval-diamond-1.29-carat-h-vs1-yd7778110

1.13, G, VS1 - https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/8503025/

1.18,E, VS1 - https://greatheights.com/product/oval-n-a-cut-1-18-carat-e-color-vs1

1.17, G, VS1 - https://greatheights.com/product/oval-n-a-cut-1-17-carat-g-color-vs1

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be purchasing a lab grown oval stone for an engagement ring soon and was looking for some help with regard to IDing potential stones. I have identified a few that are within my budget (=< $3000) and that seem to be a good balance of characteristics (clarity, depth %, L/W ratio, face dimensions, etc). Of course, I am only minimally educated on this subject and am worried I just don't have a good eye for them. What are your thoughts on these stones specifically, and is there anything obvious I am missing when IDing potential stones?

Thanks for your help!

1.29, H, VS1 - https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/oval-diamond-1.29-carat-h-vs1-yd7778110

1.13, G, VS1 - https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/8503025/

1.18,E, VS1 - https://greatheights.com/product/oval-n-a-cut-1-18-carat-e-color-vs1

1.17, G, VS1 - https://greatheights.com/product/oval-n-a-cut-1-17-carat-g-color-vs1
Welcome to the forum :)

As we are discussing MMDs you will have to press the 'Report Concern' button and ask a kindly moderator or administrator person to move this thread to the Lab Grown section of the forum!

In terms of the stones, I can't get the first one to come up - it may have been sold?

The second one has the 'classic' oval look, with strong facets across the middle and 'crushed ice' elsewhere, but it does not appear to have a dark 'bow tie' across the middle, which means the centre facets should work well. The 'crushed ice' area does seem a bit... mushy?... to my eyes, though, and it does 'window' (go see-through) when the stone is rotated. I am therefore not personally keen on this one.

The last two stones' website does not work on this laptop :rolleyes: so I'm afraid I can't offer any input on them!

To check, have you looked at the August Vintage ovals, both the Elyque/Opulence (can't remember which name it is called now) and also the Vintage version, with chunkier facets? Both cuts are designed to have top-notch light performance, but they do face up a little smaller, and are a little more expensive, than other 'classic' oval options.

CrabClawHypothesis

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the forum :)

As we are discussing MMDs you will have to press the 'Report Concern' button and ask a kindly moderator or administrator person to move this thread to the Lab Grown section of the forum!

In terms of the stones, I can't get the first one to come up - it may have been sold?

The second one has the 'classic' oval look, with strong facets across the middle and 'crushed ice' elsewhere, but it does not appear to have a dark 'bow tie' across the middle, which means the centre facets should work well. The 'crushed ice' area does seem a bit... mushy?... to my eyes, though, and it does 'window' (go see-through) when the stone is rotated. I am therefore not personally keen on this one.

The last two stones' website does not work on this laptop :rolleyes: so I'm afraid I can't offer any input on them!

To check, have you looked at the August Vintage ovals, both the Elyque/Opulence (can't remember which name it is called now) and also the Vintage version, with chunkier facets? Both cuts are designed to have top-notch light performance, but they do face up a little smaller, and are a little more expensive, than other 'classic' oval options.
Thank you OoohShiny! I am new to the forum and am still figuring out what I am doing - I made sure to report concern to have this moved.

Thanks for the feedback - it looks like 3 of the 4 have been sold. I have definitely looked at August Vintage and are keeping them in mind. I am just trying to familiarize myself with what makes an oval good vs. great.

Would you mind checking out these two stones? Am I getting better at identifying quality choices?

Thanks again!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you OoohShiny! I am new to the forum and am still figuring out what I am doing - I made sure to report concern to have this moved.

Thanks for the feedback - it looks like 3 of the 4 have been sold. I have definitely looked at August Vintage and are keeping them in mind. I am just trying to familiarize myself with what makes an oval good vs. great.

Would you mind checking out these two stones? Am I getting better at identifying quality choices?

Thanks again!

Can't see the second one (website doesn't work on this computer :rolleyes: ) but I do personally like the first one!

Looks like a high crown and smaller table, well-defined faceting, minimal 'mush' (as far as classic Ovals go), the ends are working well, the central band is wide and seems to not have any dark 'bow-tie', and it only 'windows' a bit at fairly steep rotation/tilt angles :)

It says it's unavailable - hopefully you have it on hold!

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
Can't see the second one (website doesn't work on this computer :rolleyes: ) but I do personally like the first one!

Looks like a high crown and smaller table, well-defined faceting, minimal 'mush' (as far as classic Ovals go), the ends are working well, the central band is wide and seems to not have any dark 'bow-tie', and it only 'windows' a bit at fairly steep rotation/tilt angles :)

It says it's unavailable - hopefully you have it on hold!
Wow you are an expert!!! I wish I posted here before purchasing. Do you mind looking at my ring as well. Sorry! I wish I knew as much as you!
It is unavailable because I purchased.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow you are an expert!!! I wish I posted here before purchasing. Do you mind looking at my ring as well. Sorry! I wish I knew as much as you!
It is unavailable because I purchased.
Hey Ashley,

Apologies, I've only just seen this - have been pretty busy with life recently!

How have you found the stone? :)

It looks very 'transparent' to me, and maybe with a slight blue undertone?

The central band of facets and the ends are both very crisp, but the areas inbetween less so - but that is fairly standard for a 'classic' oval :)

ashleynavalany

Rough_Rock
Hey Ashley,

Apologies, I've only just seen this - have been pretty busy with life recently!

How have you found the stone? :)

It looks very 'transparent' to me, and maybe with a slight blue undertone?

The central band of facets and the ends are both very crisp, but the areas inbetween less so - but that is fairly standard for a 'classic' oval :)
Thank you, I got it!!

DSC_0643_1.JPG DSC_0643_1.JPG

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.