shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing between two LG round brilliants - thank you in advance!

Which LG stone would you choose?

• 1.11 F VS2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 1.08 G VVS2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

springinbloom

Rough_Rock
Hi all, just wanted to start by saying how helpful this forum has been in my search for a LG stone, thank you!

I wondered if I could get some opinions on these two round brilliants and which one you would choose?

1) 1.11 ct, F, VS2

https://www.igi.org/viewpdf.php?r=400932906

HCA score: 1.5

I have a video of this one but I don't think I can upload it here - any tips would be gratefully received!

2) 1.08 ct, G, VVS2

https://www.igi.org/viewpdf.php?r=414072281

https://videop.co.in/vision360.html?d=R-91D-3500&zoomslide=1

HCA score: 1

The second one is an 'Ideal' cut whereas the first is an 'Excellent' cut.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thank you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The measurements on the G confuse me when I'm looking at the video - it looks to me like it has a higher crown / smaller table than what the grading report says?:

Measurements 6.66 - 6.70 x 3.98 mm
Table 59%
Crown 13.5% - 33.1°
Pavilion 43% - 40.7°
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM (FACETED)
Culet POINTED
Total depth 59.6%

I'd need someone with more experience than me to comment.
(@foxinsox?)

Similarly, the F looks like it has a higher crown than a 32 degree angle:

6.68 - 6.70 x 4.06 mm
58.5%
13% - 32.1°
43.5% - 41.1°
MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK (FACETED) POINTED
60.6% NONE

Which vendor are you looking to buy from?

Both the videos look decent, but I'm just not 100% sure they match the stones in the reports??

(I may well be totally wrong.)

springinbloom

Rough_Rock
The measurements on the G confuse me when I'm looking at the video - it looks to me like it has a higher crown / smaller table than what the grading report says?:

Measurements 6.66 - 6.70 x 3.98 mm
Table 59%
Crown 13.5% - 33.1°
Pavilion 43% - 40.7°
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM (FACETED)
Culet POINTED
Total depth 59.6%

I'd need someone with more experience than me to comment.
(@foxinsox?)

Similarly, the F looks like it has a higher crown than a 32 degree angle:

6.68 - 6.70 x 4.06 mm
58.5%
13% - 32.1°
43.5% - 41.1°
MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK (FACETED) POINTED
60.6% NONE

Which vendor are you looking to buy from?

Both the videos look decent, but I'm just not 100% sure they match the stones in the reports??

(I may well be totally wrong.)

Ah, i think you must be right. The vendor said they were the actual stones, but looking back through their inventory these videos are the same as other stones in that colour and clarity range :( I’ll speak to them and try and get the actual videos! Thanks so much for flagging this - I would have never known otherwise.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, i think you must be right. The vendor said they were the actual stones, but looking back through their inventory these videos are the same as other stones in that colour and clarity range :( I’ll speak to them and try and get the actual videos! Thanks so much for flagging this - I would have never known otherwise.

Hmm... interesting...

The cynic in me says to beware vendors trying to pass off one thing as another, so proceed with caution.

Which vendor is it?

One video being 'wrong' I might understand, but both being wrong raises alarm bells with me.

springinbloom

Rough_Rock
Hmm... interesting...

The cynic in me says to beware vendors trying to pass off one thing as another, so proceed with caution.

Which vendor is it?

One video being 'wrong' I might understand, but both being wrong raises alarm bells with me.

This was Compare The Diamond. Yeah, it does alarm bells for sure!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was Compare The Diamond. Yeah, it does alarm bells for sure!!

Half the pictures in their listings page have identical pictures to other listings and the listings themselves say 'generic video' when you click through to them...

And WTH is a 'sparkle factor' rating of xx%?

They may have 15k+ stones in (virtual?) inventory, meaning videos of each is burdensome and unrealistic, but I would proceed very cautiously.

At least the stones should have their grading report numbers etched into the girdle for you to check if you do go ahead.

What is their Returns policy?

EDIT: Here you go:

Looks reasonable, although I suspect there would be some resistance to a full refund.

Take note of the caveats that custom work incurs a 15% restock fee if returned.

EDIT2: I'm wondering if they are 'dropshippers' and/or just ordering in inventory as it's ordered off their website (which presumably links to the wholesaler listings). Not necessarily a bad thing but you need to be certain you are buying well, and they/you won't be able to assess any Stria issues or similar unless/until you have it in your hands.

EDIT3: Seems to have a lot of decent reviews on TrustPilot, but one needs to read the negative reviews and it's not guaranteed fake-review-free... lol

Last edited:

springinbloom

Rough_Rock
Half the pictures in their listings page have identical pictures to other listings and the listings themselves say 'generic video' when you click through to them...

And WTH is a 'sparkle factor' rating of xx%?

They may have 15k+ stones in (virtual?) inventory, meaning videos of each is burdensome and unrealistic, but I would proceed very cautiously.

At least the stones should have their grading report numbers etched into the girdle for you to check if you do go ahead.

What is their Returns policy?

EDIT: Here you go:

Looks reasonable, although I suspect there would be some resistance to a full refund.

Take note of the caveats that custom work incurs a 15% restock fee if returned.

EDIT2: I'm wondering if they are 'dropshippers' and/or just ordering in inventory as it's ordered off their website (which presumably links to the wholesaler listings). Not necessarily a bad thing but you need to be certain you are buying well, and they/you won't be able to assess any Stria issues or similar unless/until you have it in your hands.

EDIT3: Seems to have a lot of decent reviews on TrustPilot, but one needs to read the negative reviews and it's not guaranteed fake-review-free... lol

Thanks for your help and advice - much appreciated! I’m looking into a couple of other retailers, and have found two stones I could see in person. Before I do, I wondered if I could get your opinion on the certificates please?

1) 1.1 E VVS2
HCA 1.4
https://www.igi.org/viewpdf.php?r=LG380913135

2) 1.14 F VS1
HCA 0.8
https://www.igi.org/viewpdf.php?r=11205812

With the second one, I’m a bit concerned about the ‘cloud’ comment and not sure what this means. I’d need to see it in person to be sure, I guess.

Thank you in advance for your help!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your help and advice - much appreciated! I’m looking into a couple of other retailers, and have found two stones I could see in person. Before I do, I wondered if I could get your opinion on the certificates please?

1) 1.1 E VVS2
HCA 1.4
https://www.igi.org/viewpdf.php?r=LG380913135

2) 1.14 F VS1
HCA 0.8
https://www.igi.org/viewpdf.php?r=11205812

With the second one, I’m a bit concerned about the ‘cloud’ comment and not sure what this means. I’d need to see it in person to be sure, I guess.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I can only be quick as I have loads to do today! but I'd agree re: no.2 comment about clouds. I personally would avoid as it may well be 'lifeless' if the clouds are blocking light transmission through the stone.

No.1 looks cleaner from the plot but it is shallow/shallow - I'm quite surprised it got HCA1.4. 40.45 is the angle below which leakage from the pavilion could be a risk, IIRC - you would need to ask for a picture with some coloured card behind the stone, to enable you to assess leakage, or ideally an ASETscope image. Low crown/larger table is likely to give more white light than coloured fire.

ComparetheDiamond

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi here, Luke here from CTD. I just wanted to confirm our refund policy. It is 100% money back if you are not delighted, with no resistance here. 15% restocking is only applicable to custom ring designs. We are still waiting for the cutters to populate more actual videos of the stones, this is a little slow due to the pandemic. I can also assure you our reviews are real and vetted by Trustpilot. We are a family business with over 50 years of experience. We rebranded 2 years ago as we started to offer Lab-grown and the site allows you to compare both. Happy to help if you need any more help. Regards Luke

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the F with the smaller table.

springinbloom

Rough_Rock
I can only be quick as I have loads to do today! but I'd agree re: no.2 comment about clouds. I personally would avoid as it may well be 'lifeless' if the clouds are blocking light transmission through the stone.

No.1 looks cleaner from the plot but it is shallow/shallow - I'm quite surprised it got HCA1.4. 40.45 is the angle below which leakage from the pavilion could be a risk, IIRC - you would need to ask for a picture with some coloured card behind the stone, to enable you to assess leakage, or ideally an ASETscope image. Low crown/larger table is likely to give more white light than coloured fire.

Hi OoohShiny - hope you are well! I've started looking again for a stone and was wondering if I could please get your eagle eye to see if the cert matches up to the video on this stone? I'm hoping that it is in this case, but just want to triple check!

The cert is attached, and the video is: https://v360.in/DiamondView.aspx?d=R-5609&cid=Diamond360

If you have any thoughts on the stone in general that would be much appreciated too.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• LG407916850.pdf
    845.9 KB · Views: 33

ComparetheDiamond

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Springinbloom, I can answer that for you. it is indeed the actual video. I have crossed referenced the video and the certificate. If you look at the bottom of the stone, you can see the 2 inclusions closest to the girdle( Shown at North of the diamond map on the certificate) Nice rock, I would say the video on the front is a little out of focus, better focus on the back of the stone!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@springinbloom For a ring, I like a pavilion angle above 40.6 to avoid obstruction issues. The arrows will stay dark more often with a 40.4 pavilion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results