shape
carat
color
clarity

Help buying/creating alternate e-ring

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Over the weekend, I was searching for a super cheap ring to wear as a stand-in while my real ones are being resized. I'm talking $10 at Walmart super cheap - I was really just looking for something to wear so I didn't feel naked and like I lost my rings. My mom, however, suggested that if I was going to look for a stand-in ring, I might as well spend some money and get something of a bit better quality and something I would want to wear again. This made me start thinking of looking to buy or create an actual alternate e-ring.

I'm still looking to do this on the super cheap - under $500, if at all possible (and quite frankly, since this would only be an occasional wear ring, the cheaper I could do this, the better). My real e-ring is an alexandrite set in a halo, and I want something different for this. I'm thinking some sort of solitaire, and I'm open to all sorts of stone options. I do want something in the very pale range. I was thinking a pale grey spinel, white zircon, or some sort of pale, icy blue stone (a pale aquamarine perhaps), and I would like something with high dispersion and/or a high refractive index. I have no idea if any of this is possible in my price range though. Since this would be a very occasional wear ring, I was also thinking of a sterling silver setting. A round would be my preferred shape - I don't tend to gravitate toward square or rectangular shapes (though I do like cushions), and would like to avoid oval since my actual e-ring is an oval - but again, I'm open. I would love to have something that give the coverage of a 7.5-8mm round, but again, not sure if that is possible.

I am totally open to buying something pre-made, if I'm able to find something, and I'm also open to pre-loved. I am really very open and flexible with this - I'll consider anything. Any thoughts/ideas on where to begin searching or what to even search for?

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked the PS preloved forum/LoupeTroop/Diamondbistro? Plenty of PSers sell rings on there and that's where I've gotten a lot of my preloved rings. It's going to be easier to stay within budget getting a preloved ring than not unless you manage to get a standard size and a stock setting, because a lot of the cost of the setting is in labor not materials.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...n-stair-slash-blue-zircon-14k-wg-diamond-ring
MTG still has these for sale I think: https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-colored-stone-center/updated-mass-listing
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...m-mastercutgems-grey-spinel-ring-size-3-dot-5
http://diamondbistro.com/category/2...tique-yellow-white-gold-blue-zircon-ring.html

I'd also just look on Etsy or even ebay and cap the price at $500.
ex: https://www.etsy.com/listing/510864...f6c796f46ee9cd7e450e0681842f43988a3:510864309

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
You might also have good luck looking at rings by Yvonne Raley or JuliaB on etsy. A lot of what they have is a bit more ornate than what you are looking for and a bit out of your price range but they likely could make you a simple solitaire at a lower price point.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happened to your marquise ring? That's not alternative enough?
But girl I love a challenge let me see what I can dig up. What's your ring size ?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your responses!

distracts and SparkliesLuver - That grey spinel on LT is definitely a contender! I think it's a bit darker than what I'm looking for though which is why I haven't committed yet. I know, I know - beggars can't be choosers... I will definitely be looking on both LT and DB much more often now! And Etsy searching too!

TheElms - I oogle both JuliaB and Yvonne Raley's stuff all the time, but I just assumed they would be out of my price range for this one. I might message them though to see what might be possible. Thank you!

Bex - Thank you for reminding me how much I love Heart of Water Jewels! The lotus setting would actually be a great solitaire, and looking through the page now has me considering a moonstone. Although I prefer faceted stones, and I'm not sure how I feel about a rose cut moonstone... She also has an aqua in a silver lotus setting that is pretty, though a bit smaller than what I'd ideally like. I'm going to message her and see what might be possible!

Niel - The marquise is being resized as well, but actually, for some reason, I've never really considered it for an alternate ering. It's my RHR that I wear all the time. I guess I'm kind of rigid in the "roles" my rings play? Or, really, I probably am just looking for some sort of justification to get some new, pretty bling. :lol: I'm a 4.5-5 ring size, with 4.75 being my sweet spot. My current rings were all size 5, and I'm having them resized to a 4.75...the 5 was just a tad too big and annoying for daily wear, but for an occasional wear ring, I could totally rock a 5 (which is probably easier to find than a 4.75). Would love to see if you are able to find anything - I feel like you are the master of good finds! I'm also now totally torn in what direction I want to go in - a pale silver/grey/icy blue stone like I originally said or a moonstone. I think I can be easily swayed in almost any direction at this point!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results