shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Buying an OEC

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone,

I’m looking to buy an OEC for a ring. I have emailed/sent DMs to 8 vendors, but most of them are not responsive.

Alex and Caysie (I would love to have her make a platinum solitaire) were quick to respond, but they don’t have anything I would like in stock.

Budget: 9k
Size: 1.2-1.7 (flexible)
Color: D-I
Clarity: Eye-clean VS2/SI

I don’t think I have unrealistic expectations. Please let me know if you have any suggestion/recommendation.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Did you try Adam at OWD? If he doesn't answer your email give him a call, he probably just forgot to get back to it. I've bought a few stones from him and he's been very helpful, though I did have to follow up on the email once or twice. He has a good eye and won't pressure you to keep something he's sent to you.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Ooh sorry to hear that. The non-responsive thing grinds me. Both Ivy & Rose and Sako (CJD_Sako on IG) might be able to help you too. I’ve found them both to be easy to communicate with.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Did you try Adam at OWD? If he doesn't answer your email give him a call, he probably just forgot to get back to it. I've bought a few stones from him and he's been very helpful, though I did have to follow up on the email once or twice. He has a good eye and won't pressure you to keep something he's sent to you.

After two emails and one DM over the course of two weeks, I’ve given up. I assumed he had been busy or my budget was too small. If I absolutely have no other option, I’ll think about calling him.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh sorry to hear that. The non-responsive thing grinds me. Both Ivy & Rose and Sako (CJD_Sako on IG) might be able to help you too. I’ve found them both to be easy to communicate with.

Ivy & Rose didn’t get back to me. Sako said he’d look “tomorrow” a while ago, but I haven’t heard back from him.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Ivy & Rose didn’t get back to me. Sako said he’d look “tomorrow” a while ago, but I haven’t heard back from him.

What a shame... I might call I&R given their prices are typically very nice. I dealt with them mostly over the phone and found Ilya to be very patient and helpful but I think it was someone else who did the emails. Hopefully someone gets back to you soon.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D-I color range might be a challenge. Good luck with your search, hopefully you will find the perfect stone.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D-I color range might be a challenge. Good luck with your search, hopefully you will find the perfect stone.

That is exactly the answer. There aren’t many D-I OECs around. Most have been recut. I assume you’ve seen a F-D OEC IRL and you like them more than the warmer colors right? I ask simply because I’ve found I actually prefer warmer colors in OEC as I feel like I see more rainbows. The whiter colors reflect more shades of white to me. Of course that could just be a dysfunction of my eyesight. Lol!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you try looking and following Parks Fine Group on Instagram? He has nicely cut antique diamonds and can do settings.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock

I agree with you. Grace always seems to have a couple of colorless OECs, but I don’t see them often on other vendors’ websites.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
That is exactly the answer. There aren’t many D-I OECs around. Most have been recut. I assume you’ve seen a F-D OEC IRL and you like them more than the warmer colors right? I ask simply because I’ve found I actually prefer warmer colors in OEC as I feel like I see more rainbows. The whiter colors reflect more shades of white to me. Of course that could just be a dysfunction of my eyesight. Lol!

Yes. I currently own a couple of colorless to near colorless OECs. I’ve owned a K and an O-P, but sold them both. I think there are many beautiful lower colored OECs. My necklace stone is a L and I don’t mind its warmth at all. I just prefer colorless to near colorless stones for rings.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Did you try looking and following Parks Fine Group on Instagram? He has nicely cut antique diamonds and can do settings.

I have notifications turned on for his posts. He always has beautiful stones!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I currently own a couple of colorless to near colorless OECs. I’ve owned a K and an O-P, but sold them both. I think there are many beautiful lower colored OECs. My necklace stone is a L and I don’t mind its warmth at all. I just prefer colorless to near colorless stones for rings.

Gotcha. So yeah, I think finding high color, well cut OECs is more challenging than J and below. I hope something turns up for you! Would you consider an AVR or CER? At least that gets you a high color... and your budget would allow for it.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
After two emails and one DM over the course of two weeks, I’ve given up. I assumed he had been busy or my budget was too small. If I absolutely have no other option, I’ll think about calling him.

I also never got a response to him after 2 emails and a call/VM and similar budget...so it’s not personal!

I just snagged this 1.3 carat E OEC from Grace - so I’d definitely try her!

She has some closer to the carat mark that are G-H...might be too small?

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Gotcha. So yeah, I think finding high color, well cut OECs is more challenging than J and below. I hope something turns up for you! Would you consider an AVR or CER? At least that gets you a high color... and your budget would allow for it.

I like both AVR and CER, but my partner prefers a real antique stone. I find both newly cut old style stones and true antique stones beautiful.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I also never got a response to him after 2 emails and a call/VM and similar budget...so it’s not personal!

I just snagged this 1.3 carat E OEC from Grace - so I’d definitely try her!

She has some closer to the carat mark that are G-H...might be too small?

I was so jealous when you bought the stone, haha. I was actually considering that stone and the one linked below. Grace hasn’t gotten back to me in 6 days. I don’t want to bother her, and I don’t really like rushing people.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I was so jealous when you bought the stone, haha. I was actually considering that stone and the one linked below. Grace hasn’t gotten back to me in 6 days. I don’t want to bother her, but I don’t really like rushing people.

Aww I’m sorry you missed out! I wish I could replicate it so we could both enjoy it. I was looking at the one you linked too! What you trade in color you’d get in size. It’s got a really pretty facet pattern. I’d nudge her again and CC Jenny her assistant to nudge her [email protected]m

edit: sorry not her assistant, but Jenny is the client services manager and was really responsive

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I get not wanting to bother people but I think sometimes you just have to be persistent and not take it personally that they forget to get back to you. The stuff I’ve bought from OWD was all under $2k so I’m sure budget could be part of it but people will work with smaller budgets. I would really call, email often doesn’t work that well for some reason. And I get it because it really bothers me when people don’t respond to my emails and I hate calling people but I’ve had the best results when I put it aside and just called or kept poking them (not just talking about jewelry here either)

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about this seller and one is a tad smaller than you are looking, but just saw these And thought of your post.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I get not wanting to bother people but I think sometimes you just have to be persistent and not take it personally that they forget to get back to you. The stuff I’ve bought from OWD was all under $2k so I’m sure budget could be part of it but people will work with smaller budgets. I would really call, email often doesn’t work that well for some reason. And I get it because it really bothers me when people don’t respond to my emails and I hate calling people but I’ve had the best results when I put it aside and just called or kept poking them (not just talking about jewelry here either)

Thank you for the advice. I will call him on Monday.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing about this seller and one is a tad smaller than you are looking, but just saw these And thought of your post.

I follow the seller on Instagram, and considered purchasing the second option. It's pretty, but I'm not in love with the stone for some reason.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Sakuracherry Adam JUST replied to me - want me to give him a nudge for you and say someone I know is looking for a stone like mine? I am not sure how to refer him to you but wanted to offer. he said my email got lost in spam, maybe yours did too

I am not very shy about such matters :lol:

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
@Sakuracherry Adam JUST replied to me - want me to give him a nudge for you and say someone I know is looking for a stone like mine? I am not sure how to refer him to you but wanted to offer. he said my email got lost in spam, maybe yours did too

I am not very shy about such matters :lol:

Wow, it took a while! Thank you for the offer. I will call him on Monday and see what happens.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it took a while! Thank you for the offer. I will call him on Monday and see what happens.

No problem. Good luck - hopefully he has what you are looking for!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I’m glad you’re going to call him! I hope he has something for you. I’d give JbG a poke too.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The diamond is cut shallow and has a relatively big table for an OEC. Since I’ll have to have a platinum setting, I’d like to purchase only a diamond if possible.

Yeah I noticed that (RE shallow cut) - I also wasn't sure if the SI2 clarity struck your fancy - but wanted to share in case you missed it!

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I noticed that (RE shallow cut) - I also wasn't sure if the SI2 clarity struck your fancy - but wanted to share in case you missed it!

Thank you for the suggestion, though. I appreciate it! It’s very likely that I have not noticed pretty stones for sale on many websites.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results