shape
carat
color
clarity

Help buying a ring on our lay-over in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Trixiebee

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
Great site!
We''re flying Minneapolis, MN (USA) to Paris in 3 weeks, and we have a 5 hour lay-over in Toronto.

We''d love to pick up a little diamond while we''re there! (well, not LITTLE...harhar)

Is this possible? Do our homework and research ahead of time, and have something lined up for our flight arrival time? I don''t really want to meet some guy in a black coat, per say, but we''d love to take advantage of the exchange rate, and up the 4 C''s !!

Also, can you tell me the price differences between buying a US vs. Canadian diamond, and the "rules" and taxes for doing so.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
http://www.usacerteddiamonds.com/ is somewhere in Eastern Canada. I can't remember where, though.

Greatcall

Rough_Rock
Try DY jewels. go to dyjewels.com I think he is in Toronto. Or better yet here are some other suggestions:

West York 416 781 3998 Hardy
Deval Jewelers 416 654 6400 Tony Demasi

Trixiebee

Rough_Rock
thanks for the names....
now, what's this I hear about 24% tax ????????????????

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Start another thread with a heading mentioning you want to buy diamond in Toronto.

Greatcall

Rough_Rock
ITS ACTUALLY 25%

10% DUTY
7% GOODS AND SERVICES TAX
8% PROVINCIAL SALES TAX
--
25 %

This tax can be avoided by having the jeweeler ship the ring or diamond directly to you in the states after you comeback. You could buy it in Toronto and claim all of it back but it will take upto 8 months to get your money back. See us canadians love to take your money but we hate to give it back. That's because we spend it all on Molson and Labbatt.
wavey.gif
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tax Tax Tax. With 25% Canadian tax markup, sure you don't want to buy that stone in MN where you live? Seems like the state tax would be a discount from Canada?!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results