shape
carat
color
clarity

Help ... Buyers remorse

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So, I upgraded my ring about a month ago.

The good news,

1) I Love my setting
2) I feel really good about the choice to do H/VS2
3) I Love that I went from a RB to a Cushion
4) I really like the modern cuts (sorry to most of you who seem to like antiques!)

The bad news,

AFTER committing, I found all of you and became obsessed about the fact that I got a "crushed ice" cushion. That said, based on the GOG video, I have a good one, but I don't think it's a stone I just love :( I'm trying to love it and at times really get lost in all of the tiny sparkles and enjoy it, but I think I could be happier. And I paid way too much to not be thrilled.

I got a custom design, so I'm afraid that I'm going to take a bath if I get it altered (if possible) for a new stone. I'm also nervous that it won't look good if they start messing with it.

So... What would you do? How would you approach the jeweler? And, I think I found a stone that has similar specs except should be a better facet pattern... Thoughts? http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamonds?stockno=LD06507614

img_10430.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOur link to BN doesn't work. They never do.

If all you have is a GIA report from BN, you really can't tell how well a cushion performs. If you must buy from BN, then you can just order it and return it if you don't like it. I've done that before. If you are buying a Signature Ideal, they might have it on site and you can ask them some questions. I am not sure what other information they can give you other than a GIA report for the Signature Ideals. Maybe it's more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's just stock sample photo. That stone could be a total dog or nice. No way to choose any fancy cut diamond without pictures. So you can look at BN Signature, James Allen, and Good Old Gold for cushions with pictures. Enchanted Diamonds has a pictures only option on their search so you only see the ones with images. You need the diameter measurements of your current diamond to see if there are any with dimensions that are close.

I am so sorry if coming here has made you second guess your diamond. If only everyone came here before buying!

Are you past the return period for the diamond?

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1452487004|3974001 said:
YOur link to BN doesn't work. They never do.

If all you have is a GIA report from BN, you really can't tell how well a cushion performs. If you must buy from BN, then you can just order it and return it if you don't like it. I've done that before. If you are buying a Signature Ideal, they might have it on site and you can ask them some questions. I am not sure what other information they can give you other than a GIA report for the Signature Ideals. Maybe it's more.
The link can be copied and pasted. I was looking at the certificate and the facet pattern. I don't think I can order it because I'll need the jeweler to buy it and swap it. Maybe he'll be willing to??!!

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1452489930|3974017 said:
That's just stock sample photo. That stone could be a total dog or nice. No way to choose any fancy cut diamond without pictures. So you can look at BN Signature, James Allen, and Good Old Gold for cushions with pictures. Enchanted Diamonds has a pictures only option on their search so you only see the ones with images. You need the diameter measurements of your current diamond to see if there are any with dimensions that are close.

I am so sorry if coming here has made you second guess your diamond. If only everyone came here before buying!

I've obsessively looked at those sites :) so I know this facet pattern will look better from what I've seen. I think I can only exchange so I'm kind of stuck. I'm still in the exchange period. Hopefully they'll work with me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I surely hope you can exchange at least!

But I am not sure we are understanding each other about that GIA report. You cannot tell about the appearance of that stone from the report. It could look good or bad. The stone diagram is generic. It may be a different cut than your current one, but it might not be a good one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really need to look on James Allen instead of Blue Nile because they have the images and the diamond reports. They are owned by a diamond supplier and many jewelers can access those stones. This facet pattern is slightly different than the one you are looking at on BN, but it has a fairly decent defined facet pattern, just as an example.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-597856

This one is a beauty. I have no idea of your budget, of course!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-784324

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1452495043|3974042 said:
You really need to look on James Allen instead of Blue Nile because they have the images and the diamond reports. They are owned by a diamond supplier and many jewelers can access those stones. This facet pattern is slightly different than the one you are looking at on BN, but it has a fairly decent defined facet pattern, just as an example.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-597856

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-784324

OP, can you return your original stone from BN? Am I correct in my understanding that you bought your first upgrade on BN. I think what Diamondseeker is saying is return the stone you bought from BN and consider the stones you see on James Allen.

If you cannot return your stone to BN, then you are in a different situation.

A GIA report tells you very little/nothing of how a cushion will perform. You will need to see it IRL. That is why DS said to look on JA. You get to see a video of the diamond itself.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1452494499|3974040 said:
I surely hope you can exchange at least!

But I am not sure we are understanding each other about that GIA report. You cannot tell about the appearance of that stone from the report. It could look good or bad. The stone diagram is generic. It may be a different cut than your current one, but it might not be a good one.

I've spent too many hours on James Allen and each time I see a stone with the X all the way to the ends I love the way it looks... the pattern I have is like the one attached.

That said, I'm hearing you... all "x-factor" patterns won't look the same in real life? Even with ex ex from GIA?

facet.png

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I had no idea that my jeweler could pull from James Allen too.... That's SUPER helpful. My current stone was around $28K, so I want to stay in that range...

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1452496671|3974049 said:

OP, can you return your original stone from BN? Am I correct in my understanding that you bought your first upgrade on BN. I think what Diamondseeker is saying is return the stone you bought from BN and consider the stones you see on James Allen.

If you cannot return your stone to BN, then you are in a different situation.

A GIA report tells you very little/nothing of how a cushion will perform. You will need to see it IRL. That is why DS said to look on JA. You get to see a video of the diamond itself.

Sorry if i wasn't clear... I purchased the stone/ring together from a jeweler in NYC. I'll need to have him source the new stone. I think he got from BN, so I was using that as a starting point. I won't be able to return the stone, but he can exchange for me. I didn't know JA worked like BN.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would need to know the mm size of your current stone to be able to point out some stones that perform well and would also
fit in your setting. Can you look at your GIA cert and post those numbers?

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1452517827|3974116 said:
We would need to know the mm size of your current stone to be able to point out some stones that perform well and would also
fit in your setting. Can you look at your GIA cert and post those numbers?

Sorry - Thanks!!! It's 8.20 x 8.16 x 5.38

Other specs:

H
VS2
Ex
Ex
No Flourescence
60% table
65.9% depth
slightly to very thick
No Culet

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1452477713|3973946 said:
The good news,
1) I Love my setting
4) I really like the modern cuts (sorry to most of you who seem to like antiques!)

The bad news,
AFTER committing, I found all of you and became obsessed about the fact that I got a "crushed ice" cushion. That said, based on the GOG video, I have a good one, but I don't think it's a stone I just love :( * * *
I really hope that you are not now looking to change the center stone owing to the disdain for modified brilliant cushion cuts you've seen here on PS. I'm expressing this concern because there is nothing in your posts heralding the arrival of the ring that suggests you had any reservations about the choice of cut, were anything but excited & thrilled:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/this-is-coming-to-me-tomorrow-3-ct-cushion.218097/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/this-is-coming-to-me-tomorrow-3-ct-cushion.218097/[/URL]
Of course, you are free to change your mind, but I'd hate to see you, or anyone else, do so just because Internet strangers have vocalized their strong personal preference for a different kind of cut.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
upgradingmama|1452491104|3974023 said:

I've obsessively looked at those sites :) so I know this facet pattern will look better from what I've seen. I think I can only exchange so I'm kind of stuck. I'm still in the exchange period. Hopefully they'll work with me!

Just one point of note upgradingmama. The variety of cushions I refer to as "watery crushed ice" can't be determined from facet pattern. This type of appearance covers the spectrum of cushions from vintage styled to modern and is primarily due to extraneous leakage. You'd need considerable more info that just a facet pattern. Just letting you know as if you are still in your grace period you don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Kind regards,
Rhino

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhino|1452529341|3974198 said:
Just one point of note upgradingmama. The variety of cushions I refer to as "watery crushed ice" can't be determined from facet pattern. This type of appearance covers the spectrum of cushions from vintage styled to modern and is primarily due to extraneous leakage. You'd need considerable more info that just a facet pattern. Just letting you know as if you are still in your grace period you don't want to make the same mistake twice. (emphasis added)
Kind regards,
Rhino
Based on her viewing of at least one of the videos posted on your web site, upgradingmama thought her modified brilliant was a good one. So I'm sure she would find it helpful were you to explain why it was a mistake, maybe circle the problems you see in the pics she posted here last month:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/this-is-coming-to-me-tomorrow-3-ct-cushion.218097/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/this-is-coming-to-me-tomorrow-3-ct-cushion.218097/[/URL]

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1452527244|3974177 said:
upgradingmama|1452477713|3973946 said:
The good news,
1) I Love my setting

The bad news,
AFTER committing, I found all of you and became obsessed about the fact that I got a "crushed ice" cushion. That said, based on the GOG video, I have a good one, but I don't think it's a stone I just love :( * * *
I really hope that you are not now looking to change the center stone owing to the disdain for modified brilliant cushion cuts you've seen here on PS. I'm expressing this concern because there is nothing in your posts heralding the arrival of the ring that suggests you had any reservations about the choice of cut, were anything but excited & thrilled:
Of course, you are free to change your mind, but I'd hate to see you, or anyone else, do so just because Internet strangers have vocalized their strong personal preference for a different kind of cut.

Thanks Molly! I did (and do) love a lot about it... it's big, it's cushion, it faces up white, I love the setting. I never liked radiants and was a little concerned at first but thought I was being a spoiled brat to not like it! Then a few people said it looks like multiple stones (because of the lack of facets) and I started researching... So I did have concerns and then the "internet strangers" helped to push me over the edge :)

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Rhino|1452529341|3974198 said:
upgradingmama|1452491104|3974023 said:

Just one point of note upgradingmama. The variety of cushions I refer to as "watery crushed ice" can't be determined from facet pattern. This type of appearance covers the spectrum of cushions from vintage styled to modern and is primarily due to extraneous leakage. You'd need considerable more info that just a facet pattern. Just letting you know as if you are still in your grace period you don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Thank you so much for your response! I wish I had known about you first!! Mine is definitely not watery but I still don't love the crushed ice. Do you find the other facet pattern to be more "facety" when cut well (I know I'd need to see it, but generally)?

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's too bad that "internet strangers" have critiqued your ring and changed your mind about it.

A lot of people love that "crushed ice" look. I'm one of them. I have some sort of weird sensory issue when it comes to repeated patterns, and they grate on my nerves like fingernails on a challkboard. So my taste in diamonds is very different than what is popular on Pricescope, so I generally keep my mouth shut, lol. But it makes me sad that other people have shot down a ring you have previously thought was beautiful. That makes me so sad for you! It's OK to like a crushed ice cushion. But it's OK, too, if the damage has been done, so to speak, and you can't look at it without seeing its flaws and need to change it. Do what makes you happy.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't feel badly either way. Maybe the OP did not know about all the different varieties of cushions out there, and became exposed to more when finding Pricescope. Maybe she found some that she liked more. There is nothing wrong with that. And if after seeing the ones on Pricescope she still likes her the best, that is fine too. This is from the OP.

I wish I had known about you first!! Mine is definitely not watery but I still don't love the crushed ice. Do you find the other facet pattern to be more "facety" when cut well (I know I'd need to see it, but generally)?

OP, I would encourage you to do what your heart wants. No judgement here.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1452531149|3974213 said:
Thanks Molly! I did (and do) love a lot about it... it's big, it's cushion, it faces up white, I love the setting. I never liked radiants and was a little concerned at first but thought I was being a spoiled brat to not like it! Then a few people said it looks like multiple stones (because of the lack of facets) and I started researching... So I did have concerns and then the "internet strangers" helped to push me over the edge :)
Gotcha :)) I still am hoping that Rhino of GOG will offer you personalized, educational pointers about the current stone.

P.S. The only person who questioned my e-ring was my then future father-in-law -- who was in the trade here in NYC & passionate about diamonds. He had a very low opinion (might even be accurate to say he detested it) of the antique emerald & diamond ring I chose because it was old, "who know who wore it previously" (as if rings carried cooties :rolleyes: ) and the old cut diamond side stones did not perform like fine, modern cuts. I told him that I loved it & the thought that another woman had also treasured it, but if he were professionally embarrassed by such a ring on his daughter-in-law's hand, I wouldn't wear it whenever I met him in the Diamond District for lunch ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are able to buck the antique cushion "trend", why are you not able to buck the chunky/strong facet cushion "trend"? This is where I am confused.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1452533002|3974240 said:
upgradingmama|1452531149|3974213 said:
Gotcha :)) I still am hoping that Rhino of GOG will offer you personalized, educational pointers about the current stone.

P.S. The only person who questioned my e-ring was my then future father-in-law -- who was in the trade here in NYC & passionate about diamonds. He had a very low opinion (might even be accurate to say he detested it) of the antique emerald & diamond ring I chose because it was old, "who know who wore it previously" (as if rings carried cooties :rolleyes: ) and the old cut diamond side stones did not perform like fine, modern cuts. I told him that I loved it & the thought that another woman had also treasured it, but if he were professionally embarrassed by such a ring on his daughter-in-law's hand, I wouldn't wear it whenever I met him in the Diamond District for lunch ;))
Molly I love this story :)

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
BeekeeperBetty|1452531868|3974223 said:
That's too bad that "internet strangers" have critiqued your ring and changed your mind about it.

A lot of people love that "crushed ice" look. I'm one of them. I have some sort of weird sensory issue when it comes to repeated patterns, and they grate on my nerves like fingernails on a challkboard. So my taste in diamonds is very different than what is popular on Pricescope, so I generally keep my mouth shut, lol. But it makes me sad that other people have shot down a ring you have previously thought was beautiful. That makes me so sad for you! It's OK to like a crushed ice cushion. But it's OK, too, if the damage has been done, so to speak, and you can't look at it without seeing its flaws and need to change it. Do what makes you happy.

Betty - I really am not that easily influenced :) I had my own concerns and this put me over the edge. I'm an accountant, so patterns make me really happy

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1452535036|3974267 said:
If you are able to buck the antique cushion "trend", why are you not able to buck the chunky/strong facet cushion "trend"? This is where I am confused.

It's not a "trend" that I care about.... It's a preference.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1452536444|3974279 said:
Chrono|1452535036|3974267 said:

It's not a "trend" that I care about.... It's a preference.

So you've only just discovered that there is a different cushion style and you prefer it after reading about it and seeing pictures of it? If so, then go with BN's signature cushion. Your jeweller should be able to order it and it takes some risk out of buying from BN without pictures and it is impossible to predict the light performance based on the diagram facet pattern.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP, have you asked your jeweler to pull several different facet patterns for you to see in person, side by side? I ask this because I also used james allen when trying to figure out what I liked, but seeing stones in person ( actual size as opposed to blown up or in beauty shots) I was drawn to different things. I originally felt that I absolutely wanted an 8 main (from the videos and pictures it seemed just my taste) but then in person I liked a 4 main better. Things are often different in real life, so if the jeweler is willing to work with you and take a bit of time to pull different patterns for you to see, it may help a lot- and may also, in the end, result in you liking what you have now best.

Good luck! :appl:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is the result of an issue I've been bringing up for a long time,
A video produced by a seller to promote what they sell is being used as an educational piece- when is it is aimed at selling and promoting a particular type of diamond by insulting another type of cut. The manner in which the diamonds are photographed puts a "chunky" style stone in favorable lighting- but that same methodology puts the modern cushion at a large disadvantage.
So, people are looking at a Ford video explaining why Chevy is bad- and using Ford's tests of Chevy to malign them.
A small vocal minority keeps on advising others based on the mis-information and people end up hating diamonds they loved and purchased based on the way they looked.

Upgrademama
1) there's other sites that DO have good photos of modern cushions. In general a stone sitting on it's pavilion is not the best way to see the type of sparkle a "crushed ice" diamond has. Your pictures will not really have enough meanginful info to make any assessment in my opinion- maybe Jon will comment.
2) you can NOT gain knowledge about the physical appearance and light performance of a 3ct cushion based on the GIA facet plot. Even if it's got EX polish and symmetry.

This might not get you to where you want to go.
You are correct that exchanging a stone from a custom made setting may be very difficult- but maybe you can gain a little insight as to what brought you to the brink.
Go into Tiffany's, Harry Winston or Graff- or look at them online to see lovely modern cushions.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Is it the center stone or the setting that's bothering you? I know you said it's the cushion, but I ask because you have a lot of small diamonds- 3 row pave plus the halo. If you changed out the center stone, would the setting still detract from the main stone? Clearly you've spent a lot of money on your ring and I am not criticizing it at all (holy finger coverage!), but just wondering if the setting could be playing into the reason you feel like the center stone looks like many small stones put together. In that type of setting, I do prefer the antique style stones with high crowns and larger facet patterns because they provide more contrast to the pave. Or if you were to go with an 8 main or 4 main cushion, I would look for something with a higher crown (assuming no leakage and good performance) to differentiate the center stone from the halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results