• Neither

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Help BEG choose an apartment, because she is seriously s

TooPatient|1304106005|2908163 said:
MC|1304094512|2908014 said:
Call the utility companies to see what previous tenants have paid rather than estimate. We couldn't get an answer out of our landlord as to how much we'd be paying and now get a $200+ water/garbage bill EVERY month!

This.

When I was in a similarly sized apt, I was paying closer to $150/month for electricity + additional for water/garbage
I like the first one better because of the closets and the layout looks a bit better. Gated is also a big plus. You can always negotiate a contract! See if they'll agree to let you paint provided you repaint before you move.

Also, can you get any information about how the rent changes when it comes time to renew? Some places start you out low and then really whack you when it comes time to renew.

What sort of garages and extra storage place do they have available (for a price of course) if you decide you need more storage area?

Yeah, mine wasn't including electricity, ...that came out to $140 for the month (but bill was $280 for the two month billing cycle).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MC|1304106553|2908168 said:
TooPatient|1304106005|2908163 said:
MC|1304094512|2908014 said:
Call the utility companies to see what previous tenants have paid rather than estimate. We couldn't get an answer out of our landlord as to how much we'd be paying and now get a $200+ water/garbage bill EVERY month!

This.

When I was in a similarly sized apt, I was paying closer to $150/month for electricity + additional for water/garbage
I like the first one better because of the closets and the layout looks a bit better. Gated is also a big plus. You can always negotiate a contract! See if they'll agree to let you paint provided you repaint before you move.

Also, can you get any information about how the rent changes when it comes time to renew? Some places start you out low and then really whack you when it comes time to renew.

What sort of garages and extra storage place do they have available (for a price of course) if you decide you need more storage area?

Yeah, mine wasn't including electricity, ...that came out to $140 for the month (but bill was $280 for the two month billing cycle).

Thinking back on the cost, I believe a lot of that was due to the older baseboard heaters that were not very good and the complete lack of any weatherstripping.

BEG --- What sort of heaters are in each one may make a big difference in what you have to pay to heat the place. Do you know what is in each apt or if they are older/newer?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The bars on the bathroom windows might be because of theft and mold. If the bathroom's ventilation (to avoid mold) is something that is aided by leaving it open, but leaving it open is a sequrity risk then the complex probably decided to put bars on to let you leave the windows open but be safe.

That's how we got robbed, BTW. They came in through the TINY window in our bathroom, which we left cracked to stop mold and stuff.

As for painting...meh, just ask them if you can buy paint from them when you move out. We aren't really 'allowed' to paint here but we can buy the same paint they use from them and paint over whatever we want before we leave.

But hon, if you are going to be in a place for multiple years it makes sense to paint, if you are there for only a year-- not so much. So you might want to consider that you may move as you get more used to the area, etc.

I vote for whatever place is closer (with traffic) and safer. Oh and I HATE baseboard heaters, they suck up money. If you can get central heat, go for it.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Hi guys,

You have all been SUCH a great help! I'll be back to answer individually, but in the meantime, I looked up some neighborhood info on both.

Apt. 1:

NEIGHBORHOOD LOOK, FEEL,& CHARACTER
THE SETTING Urban (based on population density)

TYPE OF HOMES / DWELLINGS Mostly Single-family homes, some Complexes/high rise apartments, some Rowhouses & attached homes, some Small apartment buildings, a few Mobile homes

SIZE OF HOMES / DWELLINGS Mostly Medium-sized dwellings (3 or 4 bedrooms), some Small dwellings (1, 2 or no bedrooms), a few Large dwellings (4, 5 or more bedrooms)

AGE OF HOMES / DWELLINGS Mostly Well established older homes (Built 1940 - 1969), some Established but not old (Built 1970 - 1994), some Newer Homes (Built 1995 or later), a few Historic homes (Built 1939 or earlier)

HOME OWNERSHIP Mixed owners & renters

SPECIAL CHARACTER Mostly Urban Sophisticates, Walkable

THE NEIGHBORS
AGE & LIFESTYLE Mostly Mixed ages, some Families with children (family households with school-aged children), some Seniors (people 65 and over), some Young singles-upwardly mobile (young, educated, professionally employed, and single), some College students (people currently attending college)

EDUCATION LEVEL Rating: 10 (5 is average for the U.S., 10 is most educated)

INCOME Wealthy (among the 15% most wealthy communities in America)

OCCUPATIONS Mostly Executive, managerial & professional, some Sales & Service workers, some Clerical, assistants & technical support, some Manufacturing & Laborers

ETHNICITY/ANCESTRY Mostly White (non-Hispanic), some East Asian, some Hispanic, some Irish ancestry, some Asian Indian, some Mexican, some Italian ancestry, some Black

LANGUAGES Mostly English speaking, some Spanish speaking, some Russian speaking

Apt. 2
NEIGHBORHOOD LOOK, FEEL, & CHARACTER
THE SETTING Urban (based on population density)

TYPE OF HOMES / DWELLINGS Mostly Complexes/high rise apartments, some Single-family homes, some Rowhouses & attached homes, some Small apartment buildings, a few Mobile homes

SIZE OF HOMES / DWELLINGS Mostly Small dwellings (1, 2 or no bedrooms)

AGE OF HOMES / DWELLINGS Mostly Well established older homes (Built 1940 - 1969), some Established but not old (Built 1970 - 1994), some Newer Homes (Built 1995 or later), a few Historic homes (Built 1939 or earlier)

HOME OWNERSHIP Mostly Renters

SPECIAL CHARACTER Mostly Artsy/funky, Walkable, Urban Sophisticates

THE NEIGHBORS

AGE & LIFESTYLE Mostly Mixed ages, some Families with children (family households with school-aged children), some Seniors (people 65 and over), some College students (people currently attending college), some Young singles-upwardly mobile (young, educated, professionally employed, and single)

EDUCATION LEVEL Rating: 7 (5 is average for the U.S., 10 is most educated)

INCOME Middle income (near average income for America)

OCCUPATIONS Mostly Executive, managerial & professional, some Sales & Service workers, some Clerical, assistants & technical support, some Manufacturing & Laborers

ETHNICITY/ANCESTRY Mostly Hispanic, some Mexican, some White (non-Hispanic), some Black, some East Asian, some Italian ancestry, some Irish ancestry

LANGUAGES Mostly English speaking, some Spanish speaking, some Italian speaking, some Russian speaking

Thanks to MC, I believe, who suggested the Great Schools site. Unfortunately, while both places are in residential neighborhoods they're not super close to schools but they gave me the idea of googling/looking up all this city info. FWIW I checked out some public schools that are kind of near both places and the schools got good community ratings, so that's good!

Still waiting on the video clip from Apt. 1, and my friend is going back to both places tomorrow to take a tour. I'm making a decision sometime this weekend and applying on Mon. to whichever apt. I choose. Eek.

I talked to Apt. 1 again and told them, "Look, I love your apt., it has everything I want, but I found another one that's a bit farther away but they'll let me paint, so yeah, talk with your manager again. I really can't abide yellow." (For those who don't mind the yellow - think of it this way - pick the one color you would LEAST like to have covering all the walls of your home, and imagine living in it... I don't really hate yellow the color but I don't want to live in an apt. that is yellow :razz:)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Ok, now to individual responses -

Hera, yep. If one had a W/D and the other didn't and approximately the same price, it would make my decision so much easier!

MZ - I do like the grounds on the second. I'll have to see if I can negotiated with Apt. 1 on the painting - I did tell them it's a big issue for me right now (my biggest issue with Apt. 1 in fact).

Sam - I think both tend to have a mix of families and singles (darn, doesn't help, does it?) :razz:

KSinger - The second one does have nicer aesthetics externally, the first looks to have a more luxurious feel internally. But like others have said, I wonder how much of it is the fact that Apt. 1 has possibly better visual set-up/furniture, etc.

CJ - I agree on the mood. I feel like I'm being the biggest brat about the color thing, but considering this is opposite to what I would ever consider having in my home, and it's CA! It's not even a cold place where warmer colors would work - I don't know.

Missy - That's the toughie. After doing the neighborhood research, Apt 1 is in a much nicer neighborhood demographics-wise. Not that Apt 2 is in a bad neighborhood - Apt 1's neighborhood just happens to be nicer. Can't we just move the gates from Apt 1 to Apt 2??? :razz:

JewelFreak - Those are all really good points, and has me leaning in #2's direction right now, but I'm also counting heavily on my friend's impressions tomorrow since I'm only relying on pictures at the moment.

GamerGirl - Ooh I wish I could find a map like that - that would be super helpful! Well that site I found shows crime rates but I have to pay to see them! Boo. And pet rent - aggh. Not to mention pet deposit! It makes me look fondly upon my old Chicago apt. (which, I have to admit, I did like - I just hated the neighborhood!). I am now reading City Search about the neighborhoods.

Circe - Bay Area, haha. CA still! That is true (about the hardwood and the vaulted ceilings - I guess what Apt. 2 has in extra sq. footage, Apt. 1 has in more open ceilings/vaulted ceilings. Agggh so hard!! And that's true about losing the $500 deposit ... ugh. What if maintenance comes by and tells on me? I should bribe them :razz: Um, I'm stuck still but leaning in #2.

Stephb0lt - the pantry is nice! Especially since I have to hide almost everything away from devil kitties (this does make for a very neat kitchen however). I wouldn't mind that extra kitchen space actually... hmm... both are on the top floor, second floor, of two, I believe. I specifically requested the top floor for security reasons and for not having neighbors overhead (also being on the floor is why Apt 1 has vaulted ceilings).

Zoe - Yep, unfortunately, the interiors won't be the same at all. I actually have furniture picked out too (yay!) so things are coming together. Both complexes have a pool, which is nice. The pool area in Apt 2's complex does look nicer but I think both are fine (then again, Apt 1 being gated might give me more peace of mind for laying out). For Apt. 1 I would be facing both outside the complex from the back? And the courtyard from the front (or vice versa). It's on the front edge of the complex. I am attaching more pics of the grounds of both.

MC - Good call on calling the utilities companies. I will do that, and thanks! And also thanks for the Great Schools link. That also got me looking at the city stats site which helped break down the demographics for each neighborhood (because the site goes into specific neighborhoods, not just the cities themselves). I'm going to be entering a Master of Education/teaching credential program to teach high school English. It's a 12-month program so I graduate next June and start work next fall.

Luv2sparkle - What do you think of the apt., taking the color out? (I am not living with that color, lol).

Deco - Oh duh, looking into other apts. Hmm...that could be an issue! Um, well I know for Apt. 1 it faces north and south (that patio faces north and into the apt. complex, whereas the southern side faces out). No idea on Apt. 2 - I can't find a site plan but I'll have to give them a call tomorrow I think and also ask about utilities. Sorry, this may be totally dumb, but why is north-facing bad?

Octavia - Yes, this year definitely out of loan money. I could also end up just staying (depending on how much I like the apt., where I get hired next fall, and how lazy I feel about moving again). It will add up - but I'm also banking on the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (since I'm going into public education). Heaven forbid it gets repealed or something - it allows my loans to be forgiven after 10 years of public service, including public education.

TooPatient - Holy cow. That's an insane utilities bill. I think I was paying about $50-55 a month in Chicago and this was with AC in the summer, heat in the winter (it was cold), etc. Good point about asking about rent increases - didn't think of that. Thanks! Both have assigned covered parking (not a garage, I think it's more like a carport) and there's a small storage room off the patio for both places, I believe. I think there's the option of extra storage but I'm not sure - I'm not too concerned about it because I think I should be ok but not needing the extra space (I didn't in Chicago for three years and I didn't even have a patio/storage space). Of course I do plan on getting a bike.... For heaters, not sure about Apt. 1, but Apt. 2 has central heat. Both have AC and I think both are wall units.

Gypsy - good point about the bars (and ugh, sorry again about that break-in. I remember reading your posts after it happened and that's just awful. I'll keep pushing on the paint issue - I wonder if they think I'm totally nuts :razz: I'm not sure whether I'll stay or move, which means #1 might be a better bet because I could live with just plain white walls, whereas I couldn't live with the yellow walls. I would HAVE to paint if I went with #1 (whether they allow it or not); I wouldn't necessarily have to with Apt. 2.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Apt. 1 grounds - more pics

Apt%201%20Grounds%201.jpg

Apt%201%20Grounds%202.jpg

Apt%201%20Grounds%203.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Apt. 2 grounds - more pics

Apt%202%20Grounds%201.jpg

Apt%202%20Grounds%202.jpg

Apt%202%20Grounds%203.jpg

Apt%202%20Grounds%204.jpg

Apt%202%20Grounds%205.jpg

Apt%202%20Grounds%206.jpg

Apt%202%20Grounds%207.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

i vote #2 b/c the grounds/exterior look way nicer, you can paint, and you have easy highway access...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ooo, the grounds for Apt. #2 look MUCH nicer ....

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock

Yeah #2 has awesome looking grounds!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I have been trying to think of something helpful to say. The only thing I have to add is that I prefer the grounds and the exteriors of the apartments in #2. They look like a group of haciendas in a garden :))

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Ok drumroll please.........................

I've decided on Apt. 2.

Everyone here gave really good reasons for one above the other, which was both good and bad - good because you guys pointed out a lot of stuff that I hadn't thought about, and bad because well, it made choosing even harder!

However, my awesome friend, who also happens to be a PSer, went by both places today and came by with firsthand impressions and pictures, and helped me make a decision. She was more in favor of Apt. 1 before visiting, but after the visits, she said Apt. 2, hands down.

For Apt. 1, she said:

As I said on the phone, the community was ok. Not spectacular by any means, and also a TON of activity. I don't know if that's the norm, but it seemed very busy and hectic and loud. The grounds were well-kept, but honestly were just average. Didn't get the chance to go inside any of the apartments.

Apt1.jpg

Apt2.jpg

Apt3.jpg

Apt4.jpg

Apt7.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good for you BEG! I think you made a great choice. The grounds on apt. 2 were so far superior. It will be a nice place to come
home too. Although I liked the interior of Apt 1, I really hate the grounds in the last pictures you took. Too much concrete and the
parking area is a little scary looking-like a long tunnel.

You will enjoy the outdoor space so much more that it makes up for the interior that I liked better. Congratulations on getting a
great apt.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Apt. 2

She said:

So overall, my impressions of [Apt. 2] were much, much higher than of [Apt. 1]. Even if I hadn't been able to go inside one of the apts at [Apt. 2], it would have still hands down gotten my vote. The location is a leeeetle further away and might add 20 min to your commute in traffic, but I think your quality of life would be much better at [Apt. 2] than at [Apt. 1]. While walking through the grounds, it was so quiet and peaceful and tranquil, quite the opposite from [Apt. 1].

Interior Pics - this was a 2BR she saw, but the kitchen, dining and living room are identical

Apt2-1.jpg

Apt2-3.jpg

Apt2-4.jpg

Apt2-5.jpg

Exterior Pics - more

Apt2-6.jpg

Apt2-7.jpg

Apt2-8.jpg

Apt2-9.jpg

Apt2-12.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1304209722|2908788 said:
Good for you BEG! I think you made a great choice. The grounds on apt. 2 were so far superior. It will be a nice place to come
home too. Although I liked the interior of Apt 1, I really hate the grounds in the last pictures you took. Too much concrete and the
parking area is a little scary looking-like a long tunnel.

You will enjoy the outdoor space so much more that it makes up for the interior that I liked better. Congratulations on getting a
great apt.

Thanks Luv2sparkle!

I also forgot to mention! Apt. 1 - it's gated, but MY apartment entrance isn't IN the gated area! Which makes the gated part rather moot :razz:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

Yayyyyy, #2!!!!!!!!! :appl: :loopy:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

:appl: :appl: :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm glad you made a decision, BEG. The grounds on apt. 2 are so pretty compared to #1. Having now seen additional pics of #1, it seems like that complex overall is really dark and closed in.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Well, I thought I should update you guys.

So I lost the apt. I sent in my deposit, someone else got their deposit in one day before me (since, you know, I'm in a different state and it takes time for things to get there). I'm not happy at all with the way the leasing office handled things (it's not like they didn't KNOW I was sending my deposit in - I talked to both people in the office several times over the weekend, told them several times I was mailing my deposit Monday, etc.). They have another apt. but it's not going to be available until June 24 and there is no way I can wait that long.

After a really really frustrating few days, I actually ended up calling the first apt. I liked a month ago (but which didn't have any vacancies) on a whim, and it turned out something had opened up the day I called (for my move-in date). This time, I knew what I was doing and asked for a courtesy hold while I overnighted by deposit check. Haven't signed a lease yet but so far, looking good (knock on wood).

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock

Oooo - did we ever see pics of that first place? Sounds like some good timing, and if the management of that one apartment was already acting a little flaky maybe it is good news that you are ending up somewhere else?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results