shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP: appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

veganmj

Rough_Rock
I have just purchased a loose diamond and want to know if I should have it appraised. I have a 2 wk return policy so am sure that an appraisal if necessary for that & for insurance??? Where do I go? I live in NJ! HELP!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Welcome. Above is a list of appraisers, just choose your area to find one locally. A good appraisal is very useful for insurance as if the worst was to happen you wouldn''t have to accept a diamond of the insurer''s choosing, but be able to get one similar to the one lost with a detailed appraiser''s report.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
That''s a good, and well annotated list, Lorelei''s pointed you too.

Also, not asked, but ask yoursef...how will you have it set? If by your diamond vendor, nevermind. If by another, consider walking into your appraiser with the setting, too, and have him help you bind both for a policy that will insure the setting process with JM. Read threads here for more detail.

But...should you get an appraisal? The question goes back to you...why would you want one? If you''ve no reason (like you trust your jewler sufficiently, and they''ll set the diamond), forget about it. Their info will probably be sufficient for insurance. Maybe not optimized for insurance, but sufficient. These notes might be helpful.

Welcome to Pricescope!

veganmj

Rough_Rock
Tried replying & got an error message so this may get posted twice!

Thanks for the info everyone, but here''s the problem...the person I am buying diamond from does not have my setting & gave me a price 3x as much to have it custom made! So, I am buyibg it loose & having it set somewhere else...possibly Winfield''s-waiting for another email from them about it. HOW DO I DO THIS? I am worried about sending this diamond everywhere! Who do I have appraise it? I honestly do not know what to do!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Take a breath.

Re-read my notes above.

Read what's on this page when you open up Rocky Talky that's relevant to you (like Kenny's Insurance during Setting).

You'll be fine. Step by step.

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
Hi Vegan,

I live in NJ too and just purchased a fantastic (loose) diamond and setting for my soon to be fiancee.

I got it from the Jewelry Exchange in Woodbridge. They actually have a great selection there and very nice stones. The actual Jeweler I bought from was Royal Jewelers, right near the entrance. Liz helped me out. She was very nice. Tell her Alex referred you and she might give you a good deal.
1.gif
(And no, in no way am I affliated with them, just thought I''d share my good experiences w/ them).

I got a very nice GIA Certified .96 carat from them for a very good price.

As for appraisals, give gregory sherman a call (gregorysherman.com).. I just got mine appraised by him yesterday. VERY professional and the appraisal report is very detailed. You can tell him or his secretary that I referred you also. Prob wont help, but who knows.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results