shape
carat
color
clarity

Help and ideas on a reset of a solitaire to a three stone.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After taking a little break from PS I'm back and I'd like to kindly ask for the help of my fellow PSers on a new project, that I have in mind.
So, as some of you may already know, my ER is an E, VVS2, triple EX, GIA certified, .90ct RB diamond, set in a 18kt white gold, custom made setting (GIA report number: 5106676927). It is also a Hearts and Arrows diamond, which has been certified by an independent appraiser, to whom I took the diamond after purchasing it and before having it set, because there was a H&A laser inscription on the stone, which was noted in the GIA report, and I was curious to find out whether the diamond was truly a H&A. The measurements of this stone are: 6.19 - 6.24 X 3.84 .
I really love this diamond. It is exactly what I wanted and I chose it among many. I have worn it in the solitaire setting for approximately six years now and in general I have enjoyed it a lot.
Nevertheless, I have two problems with it. The first one is the fact that my half eternity band and my plain wedding band don't sit flush with my ER, due to the fact that there is a curve in the lower part of the basket. At the beginning I was fine with the gap between the rings but eventually it really started bothering me. The second one is that I wish for some more size and bling but I wouldn't ever consider upgrading the diamond. I love it too much and it has a lot of sentimental value both for me and DH. And even though I really love the halo settings that I see here on PS, I wouldn't want to go that way, because I already own two other rings in that style.
So I thought that it might be a good idea to reset my .90 diamond to a three stone setting.
I need to point out that I am considering using for this purpose a diamond that I already own. It is a .31ct diamond (GIA report number: 2166509266), which I bought some time ago, with the intention to have it set in a pendant but I finally didn't, because DH (who wasn't aware of those plans) bought me a beautiful pendant, as a gift. This is not in any way a perfect stone. It is an H, SI2, VG cut diamond and its measurements are 4.22 - 4.24 X 2.71. It scores 3.9 (very good) on HCA.
I have worn it on the clasp setting right next to my ER and I have checked it out in different lighting conditions, like outside, under the shadow of the trees in our garden on a sunny day, indoors and under the spotlights of our living room. I honestly can't see any significant difference in color and sparkle between the E and the smaller H diamond. Not a difference that would bother me that is. Maybe this has to do with the fact that the H diamond is much smaller than the E one. I'm not sure. But I'd really like to hear the opinions of the fellow PSers on this issue. Do you guys think that it would be a mistake to have the E, H&A stone set in a three stone setting with VG cut, H color side stones? Please share your sincere thoughts with me, because if I go ahead with this project, I wouldn't want to make any serious mistakes that I would regret afterwards.
Also, I am considering buying another stone which is also in H color and .30 ct weight but its measurements are: 4.31 - 4.33 X 2.66. So I'm wondering if there is any chance of seeing a size difference between those two side stones, considering the fact that the one that I already own is 4.22-4.24 and the one that I'm considering buying is 4.31-4.33. My guess is that once they are set on the sides of the main diamond I wouldn't be able to tell the difference but I can't be sure and obviously I wouldn't want to buy the diamond and realize afterwards that it's not a good match for the stone that I already own.

Apart of the above issues, I'd like to ask you guys for ideas on three stone settings, which will permit my bands to finally sit flush with my ER. Please share any photos or links that you might have in mind.
Thank you all so much for your time and excuse the very long post :wavey:

ETA: Do you guys think that for a .90ct center diamond the .30ct side stones would be alright or would they look too small? :confused:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help and ideas on a reset of a solitaire to a three ston

Anybody? :confused:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi, Naty! :wavey: It's nice to see you!

I have recently been thinking about a 3 stone ring, so I will be happy to give you my thoughts! I hate to say it, but I just would not put an H vg stone with an E hearts and arrows stone. I would go no lower than F color for the sides and I would at least want them excellent cut with measurements in the ideal cut range. I'd save the .3 H and make a lovely pendant for graduation gift some day for your daughter! I do think .3-.33 is a fine size for the side stones. I think it will really be a beautiful change! I am not a lot of help on setting styles because I prefer a classic Tiffany style three stone setting. You can see those on the Tiffany site. Would you be buying the setting locally and just ordering the diamonds?

Oh, and as to side stone sizes, I would want the diameter measurements to overlap (such as 4.23-4.26 and 4.25-4.28). I would not put a 4.3 with 4.2.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1448427209|3953896 said:
Hi, Naty! :wavey: It's nice to see you!

I have recently been thinking about a 3 stone ring, so I will be happy to give you my thoughts! I hate to say it, but I just would not put an H vg stone with an E hearts and arrows stone. I would go no lower than F color for the sides and I would at least want them excellent cut with measurements in the ideal cut range. I'd save the .3 H and make a lovely pendant for graduation gift some day for your daughter! I do think .3-.33 is a fine size for the side stones. I think it will really be a beautiful change! I am not a lot of help on setting styles because I prefer a classic Tiffany style three stone setting. You can see those on the Tiffany site. Would you be buying the setting locally and just ordering the diamonds?

Oh, and as to side stone sizes, I would want the diameter measurements to overlap (such as 4.23-4.26 and 4.25-4.28). I would not put a 4.3 with 4.2.

Diamondseeker! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me. I was suspecting that setting the E, H@A diamond next to the H, VG stones was not a very good idea. Even though I don't see disturbing differences when I hold the diamonds next to each other, I thought that I might feel differently after having the stones set and worn every day, because that would give me the opportunity to look at them and observe them all. the. time.

Please explain to me why it is preferable that the measurements of the side stones overlap. I am intrigued now!!!

I have a dear friend here, who is a jeweler and a goldsmith and he has done a lot of custom work for me, with which I have been very satisfied, so I thought I'd ask him to make the setting of the new ring but obviously I'm open to other ideas and suggestions.

Thank you again :wavey:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alright, so I found some photos of different three stone rings that I like and I think that I will ask my jeweler to combine elements from them. I am attaching a photo of a setting that I really like.

halo_ring_1.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd like the side view of my ring to look like this... Do you guys think that it's feasible to combine the previously posted setting with the side view of this ring?

er7482pt4jja.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results