shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a noob with a stone

OutofSpace

Rough_Rock
Ive been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot so thought i would see what you elitists (jk) think of this stone. Dont know the price yet as i havent gone to put eyes on it, but should be within my budget and i'll see it this afternoon. I'm not really looking for 100 perfect on everything, just a nice sized, ex cut, for a good price.

This is for an ER, so what do you think? What would be a good price?

HCA: 3.1

Measurements: 7.33 - 7.36 x 4.53 mm
Carat Weight: 1.50 carat
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent

Depth: 61.7 %
Table: 58 %
Crown Angle: 33.0°
Crown Height: 13.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.4°
Pavilion Depth: 44.0%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet: None

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used the PS Diamond Search tool and ran a search with your diamond's specs ... it seems the pricing runs from $6,999 (USA Cert) to $9,806 (Blue Nile)
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/search?vendor=-1&branded=None&inhouse=-1&shape=1&minprice=1&maxprice=1000000&mincarat=1.5&maxcarat=1.5&mindepth=58&maxdepth=80&mintable=53&maxtable=80&mincut=1&maxcut=2&mincolor=6&maxcolor=6&minclarity=8&maxclarity=8&minsymmetry=1&maxsymmetry=8&minpolish=1&maxpolish=8&min_cut_gia=1&max_cut_gia=6&min_cut_ags=1&max_cut_ags=7&minflourescence=1&maxflourescence=6&checkbox_panel1=04,03&checkbox_panel2=&sort=&page=1&pageview=96&adv=false&days=100&cert_number=

When you see the diamond in person today, please specifically check for the crystal inclusion near the center of the stone ... hopefully it is clear/white or even if black is so tiny that you can't see it; but be sure to carefully inspect the diamond to see if it is eye-clean to your satisfaction. Also look at the diamond in different lighting to check out its appearance and performance (spotlight, daylight, etc). Prior to any purchase find out the return/refund policy.

I think it is strange to go see a diamond but not know its price, but perhaps you have a relationship with your jeweler ...

OutofSpace

Rough_Rock
I used the PS Diamond Search tool and ran a search with your diamond's specs ... it seems the pricing runs from $6,999 (USA Cert) to $9,806 (Blue Nile)
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/search?vendor=-1&branded=None&inhouse=-1&shape=1&minprice=1&maxprice=1000000&mincarat=1.5&maxcarat=1.5&mindepth=58&maxdepth=80&mintable=53&maxtable=80&mincut=1&maxcut=2&mincolor=6&maxcolor=6&minclarity=8&maxclarity=8&minsymmetry=1&maxsymmetry=8&minpolish=1&maxpolish=8&min_cut_gia=1&max_cut_gia=6&min_cut_ags=1&max_cut_ags=7&minflourescence=1&maxflourescence=6&checkbox_panel1=04,03&checkbox_panel2=&sort=&page=1&pageview=96&adv=false&days=100&cert_number=

When you see the diamond in person today, please specifically check for the crystal inclusion near the center of the stone ... hopefully it is clear/white or even if black is so tiny that you can't see it; but be sure to carefully inspect the diamond to see if it is eye-clean to your satisfaction. Also look at the diamond in different lighting to check out its appearance and performance (spotlight, daylight, etc). Prior to any purchase find out the return/refund policy.

I think it is strange to go see a diamond but not know its price, but perhaps you have a relationship with your jeweler ...

Thanks Mary. I did notice that on the report and plan on paying attention when I check it out. When I search I found the same large spread on price and that is part of what prompted my post. I do have a relationship with the jeweler but he knows my budget and I have some older stuff to trade so that’s why I don’t know the price yet.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
You want to find a stone with an HCA score of 2 or under. There are so many stones out there, I think you can find one in your budget that will perform much better.

This AGS stone with IDEAL light performance looks very nice. Totally eye clean...I have no idea why it got an SI2 rating. Also an ideal cut J will face up very white. sometimes stones on JA can be sourced by your jeweler as well. But take a look at the "Ideal/Hearts and Arrow stones on JA. You will get the best price from Martin at USAcerteddiamonds.com

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When a dealer (diamonds or anything) is accepting a trade, there is room for them to disguise the true cost in either the new stone or by the trade.

The search previously posted had a $6,999 stone but it had strong fluor. Also, it appeared that was the low cost outlier. The next stone was around $8k.

I'm tight on time but I'd think $8-8.5k is about average based on that search result.

Now it becomes a matter of what your existing stones are worth to you and him. If you think they are worth $3k and he offers $3k or more and sells you the new stone for around $8k it sounds like a decent deal. At least dollar wise.

I personally am not crazy about the proportions and believe you can find a better cut stone for the same or similar money if we look harder. So I probably would not be a buyer of the stone you listed but I'd be open to other triple X options which I'm sure he has, or can get.

OutofSpace

Rough_Rock
When a dealer (diamonds or anything) is accepting a trade, there is room for them to disguise the true cost in either the new stone or by the trade.

The search previously posted had a $6,999 stone but it had strong fluor. Also, it appeared that was the low cost outlier. The next stone was around $8k.

I'm tight on time but I'd think $8-8.5k is about average based on that search result.

Now it becomes a matter of what your existing stones are worth to you and him. If you think they are worth $3k and he offers $3k or more and sells you the new stone for around $8k it sounds like a decent deal. At least dollar wise.

I personally am not crazy about the proportions and believe you can find a better cut stone for the same or similar money if we look harder. So I probably would not be a buyer of the stone you listed but I'd be open to other triple X options which I'm sure he has, or can get.

Thanks for the advise sledge. What about the proportions doesn’t sit well with you? I’m still learning about that

OutofSpace

Rough_Rock
I checked it out and it looked good, but we ended up being to far apart on price. The search goes on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results