shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a Newbie Decide on a 10th Anniversary Re-set!

jcsmomma

Rough_Rock
I just found this site a couple of days ago and have really been enjoying the wealth of information! All of the photos have been so helpful. I am planning to re-set my current e-ring for our upcoming 10th anniversary, but I am having trouble deciding exactly what I should do.

My original e-ring was a .50 carat round solitaire in 14k yellow gold. The year after I got married, my father passed away and my mom gifted me her wedding ring. It is white and yellow gold and the bands are saudered together. It had a small (at most .25 carat) round diamond set down in the middle, so I had her stone taken out and made into a pendant for her and had my stone set into the ring. I love it and it carries a lot of sentimental value, but I always wanted something a little more my style... which lets just be honest is bigger and more blingy! Also, it no longer fits my ring finger on either hand. I have an autoimmune disorder and one of the issues has been swelling in my hands and fingers. Even though I'm back to "normal" right now my fingers are just bigger. When I previously had the ring sized the jeweler told me that if I needed to size up again that more gold would have to be added because the bands are already super thin from being sized up by my mom over the years. He said it may not look like two separate rings any longer. I would be okay with this if I was wearing it as a right hand ring, which is a possibility. Or I may just put it away for now, but I do know I want to keep it together.

The ring I currently wear as my e-ring also came from my mother. She remarried and subsequently went through a not-so-amicable divorce, and I ended up with her e-ring. It is a 2 ctw princess cut 3-stone ring in 14k yellow gold. Center stone is 1 carat with .50 on each side. I do not know the exact specifications (the ex-husband wouldn't give up a lot of paperwork, including the certs that came with the ring). It is a Costco ring, so I do know that it at least meets their minimums and the stones look very nice in my very un-expert opinion. I am happy with them so that's all that really matters. I planned to have it re-set in white gold to wear on my right hand, but since my large fingers are even larger I've been wearing it as an e-ring with a stacking band that I have. It is just waaaay too much yellow gold though! So I am going to have these diamonds re-set into my perfect ring! It is just a matter of figuring out what that is... I thought I'd really like the three-stone, but it really looks a bit chunky to me on my fingers (which I believe are around 7.5-8 now). But it could just be this particular setting. So I was thinking that maybe I would have the side stones set into stud earrings, as I don't yet have any. Then I could have the center stone put into an e-ring that I love.

I am really loving the halo look, and especially with a split shank. There is a Scott Kay that I LOVE, but I am slightly concerned about the pave. I have three small children and while I am as careful as possible with my jewelry, sometimes things get knocked around a little. The other Scott Kay I like seems like it might be a little sturdier. It isn't a split shank but it's not as dainty as the single band they have that is more similar to the style of the split shank. Sorry, I don't know all the terminology as far as the different pave, etc. styles.

So if you've made it this far, and I realize I gave way too much information so I apologize... what would you do? A new, less chunky three-stone setting? A halo with the center stone plus a great pair of earrings? If so, which halo would you think has more longevity and less maintenance? Which would look better on not so dainty fingers? Which is more timeless and less trendy?

One more question. What should I do with the old setting once I have the diamond removed? I will have this one as well as my original solitaire setting and I won't use them again but no idea what I should do with them. Thanks so much if you made it this far! I just really want to figure out what I really want and have my forever (or at least until my 20th :saint: ) ring that feels like ME.

jcsmomma

Rough_Rock
Trying to figure out how to upload photos... the files may be too big because nothing attaches when I try to upload. Will BBL to figure it out, my youngest just woke up!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it sounds like you have a fun project to plan! I think that I would keep the ring a 3-stone but get a setting you like better. I think that gives you the most finger coverage and is also vastly more practical for the mom of young children. I just think you couldn't wear a pave halo ring nearly as much. Many of us have debated the same kinds of things, and while I love to look at beautful pave settings, I would only really wear them on special occasions for fear of damaging the ring or losing small stones. You can find diamond earrings for a reasonable price, so I just think you'll get more impact keeping those matched sidestones with the center stone. Costco does have some nice jewelry, so that is good for you!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a 3 stone would be a better choice for an active lifestyle with 3 kids. Halo's are beautiful, but they do have to be babied a bit more and do require more care to avoid potential problems. If your heart is really set on a halo, I'd say go for it, just be aware of how to care for the ring so you don't end up damaging it inadvertently. Scott Kay is a reputable designer so I wouldn't worry about the integrity of one of his rings if you choose one of his designs. Congrats on your 10 year anniversary too!

jcsmomma

Rough_Rock
Okay, photos! Below are my current rings as well as the two Scott Kay settings I was considering.

Thanks so much for the advice! You are probably right about the halo and pave being less than ideal for my current lifestyle. I just haven't found any three-stone settings that I love... I will have to do a lot more searching through all the photos on this site! I don't love the plain setting like the one I have. Any ideas would be very welcome!

Rings8.JPG

Rings9.JPG

ScottKay1.jpg

ScottKay3.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately we could show you settings like those that might not have the SK brand markup. But if you think you might go with a three stone, we can show you some of those, too.

This is a beautiful princess 3 stone setting, and you can buy this other places if BG doesn't set stones that aren't bought from them:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/princess-dinah-3-stone-pave-18k-white-gold-5692w18

Brian Gavin rings:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/trellis-for-princess-cuts-18k-white-gold-5356w18

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/princess-trellis-ii-platinum-5447p

jcsmomma

Rough_Rock
Thank you! That first link is GORGEOUS! Definitely making me like the three-stone idea even more.

The main reason I am looking at the Scott Kay are because our Jared carries them. I know Jared is overpriced, but I'm just trying to see what I might like that I can then go try on in person. Then I will really start to look online, once I know what I liked in real life. I don't necessarily plan to buy either SK setting :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I know what you mean. I have tried on SK settings before, too..very beautiful! H Levi is a very nice brand (the first link). I had a solitaire setting from them, in fact.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results