shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a guy make an important decision (between these two stones)?

jiffy

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I'm about to purchase a stone for a custom engagement ring (will post photos afterwards!) and I'm having trouble determining which sapphire to get.

I've done my best learning what I can from the forums/reading for what to look for but ultimately I'm an amateur and I don't trust my eyes. (But I do trust the internet! :lol:)

The biggest difference to me is that Gem B has a more obvious zoning whereas Gem A's zoning is less noticeable as its blends and is centered more. Both are eye clean and similar in price/size.

I was hoping you all could help me make this important decision. Thanks in advance! Pictures below.

Gem A
A-1.jpg A-2.jpg

Gem B
B-1.jpg B-2.jpg

Both side by side:
B-A.jpg

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful stones, but I have a slight preference for Gem A particularly for an engagement ring.

Will the stone be set with prongs, or in a bezel ... do you know?

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
I too like A, but then I don't like yellow in parti sapphires. Are you wanting a blue, green or teal?

jiffy

Rough_Rock
They are both beautiful stones, but I have a slight preference for Gem A particularly for an engagement ring.

Will the stone be set with prongs, or in a bezel ... do you know?

Thank you! Phew, I'm glad I'm on the right track. It'll be in a bezel. Specifically surrounded by a diamond halo.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard choice since both are unique and very pretty! I am personally drawn more to stone B, but I don't think you can go wrong here.

jiffy

Rough_Rock
I too like A, but then I don't like yellow in parti sapphires. Are you wanting a blue, green or teal?

Ah two for A! I appreciate the opinion! I think I'm leaning more teal or blue.

jiffy

Rough_Rock
Hard choice since both are unique and very pretty! I am personally drawn more to stone B, but I don't think you can go wrong here.

Thank you! You don't know how much it relieves me to hear I can't go wrong at this point hah!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
A is definitely going to be green. B depending on the size may go teal/green. I read about a member saying he parti sapphire was on the smaller side and mixed into a green.

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
I'll edit. A will likely be green. Is it a Montana sapphire? It may turn more teal in different lighting. Hard to tell with Montanas just how they will shift some times.

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Ok... so my dumb butt was looking at the pictures with the blue light filter on. :rolleyes:

They both are still beautiful, but it seems like B may be a little bit brighter, looks like A might have a bit of grey tone? It looks as if B will be more teal/blue and A will be more green maybe teal, based on the pictures.

You might want to ask about a video with them together, to see them in motion.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I like A. It seems more lively and B seems like it might go a little dark in a bezel.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Team A.

jiffy

Rough_Rock
Ok... so my dumb butt was looking at the pictures with the blue light filter on. :rolleyes:

They both are still beautiful, but it seems like B may be a little bit brighter, looks like A might have a bit of grey tone? It looks as if B will be more teal/blue and A will be more green maybe teal, based on the pictures.

You might want to ask about a video with them together, to see them in motion.

Oh! That's a good reminder! I should make sure mine's off too when online gem shopping. Heh.

Yep! They're montanas, so I expect the color to shift around the teal-green-blue spectrum depending on the lighting. So I'm not too honed in on color as much.

I did happen to get video too. (Have to click the photos below) The quality seemed to deteriorated a bit though uploading...

Gem A

Gem B

Last edited:

jiffy

Rough_Rock
I like A. It seems more lively and B seems like it might go a little dark in a bezel.

Ah, that's a good point! Thank you!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
So yeah, if they are Montanas, they will more than likely shift, so be prepared. I actually love it, but it may be a shock if you are expecting the same color all the time. Also make sure you like the stone's colors in all lighting.

And speaking of their colors a LOT of them have a grey tone to them. (Not sure the correct term, tone or hue, so forgive me if I'm using the wrong one.) Especially in greens. I happen to love grey, but that seems to not be a popular opinion.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Gem B!!! :kiss2:

I'm a sucker for teal-blue and Montana sapphires really do deliver. Both are beautiful, BUT the teal-blue in Gem B is much more teal-blue.

Both have zoning (bordering on intentional, like parti sapphires) so I wouldn't use that as the deciding factor. How dark they look once they're set depends on the setting so, for me, I would go for the one that has colors I like most. And that would be Gem B. Gem A, as others have said, would blend into green. Yellow gold would also make it lean greener.

But that's just me. I wear a lot of blues, and my coloring favors blue/blue-green so in your case, I'd consider that to decide if green-er or blue-er is better.

If you have a good buying experience, could you share the name of your vendor? Montana sapphires are on my wishlist and I'd love to keep an eye on good vendors :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the videos you , I'd choose A as B looks like its got a grey cast.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results