shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a boy pick between some paraiba?

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I've been wanting to acquire a decent sized glowy paraiba, and currently have two that I'm quite fond of.

Both are around 1.6 cts. One is an 8 x 8 cushion the other a 8.7 x 6.5 oval. Both have decent depth (aren't thin discs).

Color wise, they're pretty similar (and look lovely to me). The cushion is a fun shape, but is a bit cleaner (which makes it a bit more windowed looking through the middle).

paraibakey.jpg

paraiba3.png

paraiba1.png

I feel right now I'm leaning a bit more towards the oval. The inclusions make it seem like it's glowier at every angle, whereas the cushion sometimes gets some window/X-ing through the middle (although has great color near the edges).

Thoughts? :)

Attachments

• paraiba5.png
    paraiba5.png
    322 KB · Views: 30
  • paraiba4.png
    paraiba4.png
    334.8 KB · Views: 47
  • paraiba2.png
    paraiba2.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 46
  • paraiba44.jpg
    paraiba44.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 36

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do they look indoors? On cloudy days?

How do you plan to mount it...?

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
How do they look indoors? On cloudy days?

How do you plan to mount it...?

The pictures above were from direct sun, indirect, and indoors. Although I forget which was which. I can check on that.

Likely a ring of some kind!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Are the attachments your pictures?

I agree that the oval would be better if the window is so apparent.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Are the attachments your pictures?

I agree that the oval would be better if the window is so apparent.

Seller’s pictures! There is a return policy too, so I can evaluate the one I choose at home eventually.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you know if they are oiled (filled with resin to improve the appearance of surface reaching inclusions)?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Untreated, besides heat.

Ok in that case both are viable, but I'd lean towards the oval as the window in the cushion would eventually eat at me.

If you're paying a decent price for them (say 4 k and above) then you should probably ask for a lab report to confirm origin and treatment. Coper bearing tourmaline from africa is cheaper per ct than south american paraiba. And treatment dramatically drops the value. So if the price is reasonably appropriate for untreated south american material then its worthwhile checking you did indeed get untreated south american paraiba.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I think both of them are nice enough that you should pick based on shape and what you plan to do with it. I would personally lean to the cushion only because it looks a bit bigger :lol:

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Both really lovely stones! I would pick the cushion because I prefer that shape.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand all the above comments, but I personally prefer the cushion.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you ask to see both carefully nestled in silver foil to try and represent what a somewhat closed basket might accomplish?

Any way you can manage to get both to see in your particular environment?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could you ask to see both carefully nestled in silver foil to try and represent what a somewhat closed basket might accomplish?

Any way you can manage to get both to see in your particular environment?

Great idea!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How Yummie!

Am I crazy for wanting to eat them both?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful colour
But id be weary of anything with a window

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
If you're paying a decent price for them (say 4 k and above) then you should probably ask for a lab report to confirm origin and treatment. Coper bearing tourmaline from africa is cheaper per ct than south american paraiba. And treatment dramatically drops the value. So if the price is reasonably appropriate for untreated south american material then its worthwhile checking you did indeed get untreated south american paraiba.

Yep yep. I'd want to send it off to a lab for a report :)

@JackTrick I like the oval best but you could get both and send the the you don't want to me! :Up_to_something:

Haha, only if you foot the bill! Acquiring both at the same time is a lot of $ to toss around :razz:

Thank you all so much for your advice! I believe I'm going to go for the oval. I really love the cushion's shape and size, but the more apparent window kept bugging me in the pictures/videos. Whereas the oval I pretty much loved at every angle :)

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@JackTrick Oooh exciting. Share photos when you recieve it!
What are your plans for it? :cool2:

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it arrived, and I love it. Just clear enough, just included enough, glowy and lovely, big enough for my hands.

and everything else I like more is Way more expensive :razz:

36C67A54-9382-456F-9EB9-9D939A45C84B.jpeg

Super thrilled to set it

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! IMHO these stones look even better when set. The color usually just pops when surrounded by metal or diamonds. I would have chosen the oval as well.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@JackTrick that looks fantastic on your hand! Do you already know how you're going to set it?

If so, kudos to you, and please do share.

voce

Ideal_Rock
How Yummie!

Am I crazy for wanting to eat them both?

Uh, I'd say yes. For one thing, I don't eat anything except blueberries that are blue. Do you guys eat artificially colored everything, to the point where it's acceptable to put neon blue in your mouth? :lol-2:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the ring design too...it’s kind of like fire and water elements!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure yet! I sort of fell in love with this design from another PSer. Was thinking something like that, but perhaps a touch more Art Deco :)

D9CCB154-8867-48BB-A8AE-223E9174CB36.jpeg

For more inspiration pics I really think this one turned out super nicely

It's nice as the colour of the center stone dominates and the setting appears to sit relatively low and unobtrusively on his hand (so wont catch on stuff too much) while still protecting the stone. I thought I'd link it just because it was such an amazing ring in the end.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results