shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a bling sister out -- need to reset a step cut stone

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you considered having Steven Kirsch make the ring for you? His pave' work is outstanding and he has a great eye. He will make suggestions for you based on your stone. And he will cover every millimeter of metal with melee, if you want him to, or use whatever type of stones you want. He is a master of pave' and located in the Diamond District in New York City. He made the halo for my pear. I highly recommend him!
I happen to like the stone in the setting you bought it in-it's a very pretty stone in a very pretty ring, but if you've decided to change it, I'll follow your journey! :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered having Steven Kirsch make the ring for you? His pave' work is outstanding and he has a great eye. He will make suggestions for you based on your stone. And he will cover every millimeter of metal with melee, if you want him to, or use whatever type of stones you want. He is a master of pave' and located in the Diamond District in New York City. He made the halo for my pear. I highly recommend him!
I happen to like the stone in the setting you bought it in-it's a very pretty stone in a very pretty ring, but if you've decided to change it, I'll follow your journey! :)
Pave my first choice would be SK as well. I don't think the more recent Emilyas are as tight as those from the days of Frankiextahs rings.

When it comes to flow and proportion, LM is tops, but working with him is not for everyone it seems.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have any ideas to contribute, except to say I really love your new ring. I love all the beautiful inspiration rings everyone is sharing! I’ll be stuck like glue to this thread to follow your journey, how fun!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an exciting project. So many great ideas but I liked these the best.

c4b7f9cb-3385-4bc8-90ba-f1e354be9251-jpeg.634478

img_3985-jpg.634491

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok peeps, I've been obsessing -- I mean, *thinking*! -- and I have some more ideas to throw out...

I'm like the idea of the bezel with a tiny thin strip right at the stone and then milgrained outside of that. Like in this pic:

Bezel.jpg

For the halo... what about engraving it rather than doing tiny stones? A concept like this one (although not necessarily this engraving). And MAYBE the corners being evvvvvver so slightly softened, but yet TBD on that front.

Bertie.jpg

Some small step cut traps on the sides, but in a milgrained bezel, and then finishing up the band with engraving that matches the halo (I believe this is a Frenchie and not a trip, but it's for illustrative purposes). Even shorter than these BTW, and possibly a little longer.

Traps.jpg

The whole thing set low:

Set low.jpg

And the underneath to have a piece of metal that sits on the finger, but more solid than this, to deal with the open culet.

Underneath.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew -- that's a lot! Sorry! Just trying to get some ideas out there for discussion.

Any and all input is welcome, and if I have used a pic of your ring in the course of this thread please let me know if you object and I will take the image down.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sure those with more experience will weigh in with thoughts but I like all your ideas I honestly think you can't go wrong! So want an emerald cut right now :whistle:

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
I have a question just bc I'd never thought of it with my EC- how come a plate? I feel like step cuts can use a good cleaning daily & a plate will not solve them getting grimy, but might hinder you reaching the stone to clean it, no? Totally just curious.

If you're going to do a halo I would use rounds... if you're going to do side stones then frenchies. "Eh" on the engraved halo. Just personal preference

I totally agree about having a bezel over prongs, too. Its just lower maintenance to me, I had a lot of trouble with prongs in the past. I think the polished bezel with the milgrain on the outside that you posted a photo of looks incredibly classy. I have a setting in the works with the opposite, and you've got me reconsidering it!

Everyone has already linked all of my favorite EC pieces I have saved, I'm sure its going to be absolutely beautiful!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meely, I've been looking for a step cut for ages and when I saw this one it just spoke to me! Take a look around, you never know what you mind find... :cheeky:

Justpeachy, my stone has a slightly large open culet, and I do not want to see my finger through the stone, ergo the plate. For frenchies over traps on the sides, do you think the contrasting cut would be distracting? That's why I was thinking step cut traps; closer to the cut of the center stone. And thanks for the opinion on the engraved halo. Definitely not set on anything yet, so all opinions are welcome!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Meely, I've been looking for a step cut for ages and when I saw this one it just spoke to me! Take a look around, you never know what you mind find... :cheeky:

Ha I only wish that was an option but I've well and truly spent my bling budget for this year and probably next too! I would love an emerald cut but it all reality it will probably come in the form of a colored stone when it happens.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJ, yes, I will definitely include Victor on my list!

Sharon, I don't think I'm going to go E/W... I've been playing with the ring for several days now and I'm pretty sure N/S is the way to go. Gorgeous though!

Meely, depending on how things pan out, my current setting may become available once this project is done, so if you're interested... ! This stone is 9 mm X 6.4.

Beanie, Asscher Girl's ring is definitely one of my favorites!

Can we talk a bit more about side stones for a minute... ? So I know that things are about scale and side stones will make the center stone look smaller, but I want this ring to be about the whole piece and not just about the center stone. Opinions here please: would you do with a narrow band with the same stones and style as the halo or go with with side stones? Again, this isn't an engagement ring so it will be worn alone.

What would I do without you guys?!?

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Such a beautiful and unique stone! Would you prefer to emphasize or de-emphasize the sharp corners? There is such a big difference in the overall look of things like the current halo, which really highlights the rectangular shape and sharp corners, versus something like an east-west setting with sidestones, where you see a band of sparkle. Thinking about your preferred shape could help you decide on a direction.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, I like your new ideas. I think the softer corners is a great idea and I like the thin bezel set with a design halo in lieu of diamonds then carry that same pattern on the band. Maybe do tapered baguettes on the side and then french cuts in the band? I don't think any of your ideas will look bad; so many options and choices for you.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with DS, step cuts really show the grime, you will need access to the pavilion for cleaning. I also love the contrast of the round melee with the halo. Can't wait to see how you reset this lovely diamond!!!:mrgreen2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to this and will look through my pics, but your diamond is so pretty!!! Did I miss the specs?

I would leave it open under the stone as someone else said! EC's get dirty and need to be cleaned often. You HAVE to have full access to the pavilion! Surely if the stone isn't set too low, you wouldn't see your finger.

Okay, I have many of the pics already posted. I agree with a halo, and I like the contrast an sparkle of round melee halo with a step cut. I adore Yenny's engraved halo, as well. Here's a picture of a ring I tried on that I really loved. It CAN easily take a stone with 4 corners, but the corners of the halo are softened, which I greatly prefer. This stone appears to be wider than yours, so it wouldn't look as wide. The halo could be a little narrower, too.

aquamarine_V2_1024x1024.jpg

2014-05-05 11.18.37.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, I am wearing my EC right hand ring and keep looking at it. Now i am leaning towards you getting a diamond halo rather than the design halo. What size is your EC? If you told me, I have forgot.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like the idea of rounded corners and while an engraved halo would be fine, if I were going to use any side stones I think I would prefer a diamond halo - just with small stones though.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for chiming in!

I have decided to embrace the corners, as the fact that this is a truly rectangular step cut is what makes it interesting to me, so softening them off and having it come out as more emerald cut kinda defeats the purpose. It will be a diamond halo BTW, with single cuts, not engraved. That idea was intriguing to me, but I'm over it now LOL.

I'm honing in on a design, with (I think) the final question being side traps or no side traps (and if no side traps then the band would have the same design as the halo). The stone is 8.99 X 6.37, so with the halo it will provide quite a bit of finger coverage even without side stones, but man, I do love me some sides...

Looking forward to finalizing the design and getting this baby shipped off to be reset!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Really looking forward to seeing the design!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a nice size stone! Can't wait to see the reset!:mrgreen:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for chiming in!

I have decided to embrace the corners, as the fact that this is a truly rectangular step cut is what makes it interesting to me, so softening them off and having it come out as more emerald cut kinda defeats the purpose. It will be a diamond halo BTW, with single cuts, not engraved. That idea was intriguing to me, but I'm over it now LOL.

I'm honing in on a design, with (I think) the final question being side traps or no side traps (and if no side traps then the band would have the same design as the halo). The stone is 8.99 X 6.37, so with the halo it will provide quite a bit of finger coverage even without side stones, but man, I do love me some sides...

Looking forward to finalizing the design and getting this baby shipped off to be reset!

Why not incorporate step cuts into the halo, with the single cuts? Best of both worlds, and you compliment the center stone, and make the entire ring the star! Encircle the RSC, but at N, S, E & W points of the halo, add a baguette or French Cut.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds great Dee Jay! I can’t wait to see your final design.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here! Looking forward to seeing your final choice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results