shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a bling sister out -- need to reset a step cut stone

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I picked up an awesome stone from Alex Park in NY last week and I am going down the path of driving myself crazy with setting ideas. Help me figure this because I reallllly only want to do this once!

A few basics that I know I want in a new setting:
- platinum
- low set and stable on my finger (translation: I am a klutz!)
- halo of some sort
- milgrain bezel around the stone instead of prongs (99.9% sure on that one)
- "plate" under the ring against my finger because of the open culet (although it doesn't bother me in the current setting, but I don't want to think afterwards that I should have done it, and then it's too late)

Things I'm not sure about
- side stones...??? It thought I wanted them because this is not an engagement ring and I thought maybe some traps or something would make it look less E'ring like... BUT after wearing the current setting for a weekend I am kind of loving the plain band -- plus, it makes the center look yuuuuuge!
- halo of square frenchies or round pave? I originally thought I wanted frenchies, but again, after wearing the ring for a few days I'm really liking the contrast between the step cut center and the bright round pave
- if frenchies, have them right against each other or a milgrained line in between each one?
- I also considered an engraved halo (no stones) but I think I've talked myself out of that now

Designer ideas:
- VC could, I'm sure, make me an Emilya that would be fabulous. One question though on the Emilya: Do you see the metal around the outside of the halo diamonds? In the pics it looks like it, but those are so magnified that it might not be like that in real life. Is there anyone else who does French set pave that I'm not thinking of..?
- CVB... but I'm an impatient little bling monster and I understand the lead times can be lonnnnng
- DK
- other???

And and all ideas for design, designers, etc., are welcome!

Pic of milgrain between the Frenchies
A1.jpg

If no milgrain, I want the Frenchies to be distinct (not this big obviously, but just an example of being able to really see each one so they don't mush together.
A2.jpg

Crude attempt to show a "plate" that would go against my finger.
A3.jpg

Current setting.
A4.jpg

BTW - I can't say enough good things about Alex! https://www.etsy.com/shop/ParksFineGroupInc We traded a bunch of messages leading up to my visit, and he even stayed late to accommodate me when I ran behind due to flight issues. Such a nice guy, and he's got a really interesting selection of both loose stones and finished pieces.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much smaller halo scale and pointed corners. Let me see if I can find a closer example of what I'm thinking.

I’m thinking if you can give an example, but you want a few modifications, perhaps, you may want to reach out to DK or VC for a custom piece.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking if you can give an example, but you want a few modifications, perhaps, you may want to reach out to DK or VC for a custom piece.

Yes, definitely. Just working on getting my ducks in a row before I do that. The people here have such good ideas I'm sure they can get me thinking along the right lines so that by the time I do reach out I'll be (hopefully) pretty set with the general design.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favourite for an emerald cut diamond: french cut sides
C4B7F9CB-3385-4BC8-90BA-F1E354BE9251.jpeg 5D091951-6163-4F8F-80F2-422F9D52F9CE.jpeg

I love that too! If I go with side stones I'll almost certainly go with step cut traps or a big Frenchie.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that too! If I go with side stones I'll almost certainly go with step cut traps or a big Frenchie.

This is also one of my favorite setting styles. However, you said you were 99.9% set on a halo design, so I omitted it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should also better describe the stone (in case it makes a different to anyone in thinking about design). It is not an emerald cut; i.e., it does not have clipped corners. The stone was originally described as Carre, but since it's not square (which I always thought Carre were... ?) I am thinking of it as a baguette.

So the shape of the stone is a rectangle, pointy corners and all!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is also one of my favorite setting styles. However, you said you were 99.9% set on a halo design, so I omitted it.

No worries -- I appreciate your input!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love frenchies, but for a halo--I kinda like the sparkle of RB's. For sidestones/diamonds on the shank, I love carre cuts and frenchies with an EC center.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about east west? Its less engagement like.

I love that idea in concept, but they never look good on my hand... ;(

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
08343C2C-8350-4504-AED7-9249876B716E.jpeg 05FDFA3D-3A73-4E9B-8907-E9C1CA5C62BE.jpeg 41B73E82-C4EE-4B3E-8D22-F1C799C047A9.jpeg DD588BFD-6F80-4F22-BB36-D1D9C2B4F487.jpeg
VC could, I'm sure, make me an Emilya that would be fabulous. One question though on the Emilya: Do you see the metal around the outside of the halo diamonds? In the pics it looks like it, but those are so magnified that it might not be like that in real life[/QUOTE]
I think with a regular Emilya you will see metal on the side? Ik have an Emilya and a ‘Monique’ from VC but both have a multisided halo which is not everyone’s cup of tea. With a multisided halo you only see diamonds

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9A96AF92-EB4C-4C18-A1D3-AE6B08B00884.jpeg 22226F40-2D24-4EFF-BA5D-B5ACA8703834.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love frenchies, but for a halo--I kinda like the sparkle of RB's. For sidestones/diamonds on the shank, I love carre cuts and frenchies with an EC center.

I was surprised by how much I like the rounds in the halo with the step cut! The contrast in real life is very appealing to me, which I never thought would be the case until I had it on my hand.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely I like the sparkle and contrast of mrb with the ec.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! What are the specs?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree: I love the contrast of small round diamonds around your stone. Personally I would set it NS. It will work so well with your long and slender fingers. EW could also be nice, but it has a very modern feel and you might get tired of the look...

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_3992.jpg IMG_3995.jpg
How exciting congratulations! I love the emerald cut settings that @bright ice and artdecolover71 have, both by cvb photos above.
I also like all of these designs.
IMG_3985.jpg IMG_3986.jpg IMG_3987.jpg IMG_3988.jpg IMG_3989.jpg IMG_3991.jpg IMG_3993.jpg IMG_3994.jpg
I would definitely be inclined to halo it and use at least some round brilliants. I would go for a vintage design and rock the culet.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meely, you posted a bunch of the pics that I have saved! Great minds!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My fav emerald cut settings are here already! Great minds/taste! My only hesitation is that most of these have clipped corners. Trying to find setting examples like yours...

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Meely, you posted a bunch of the pics that I have saved! Great minds!

Great minds and all! Other than that very modern halo which has that stunning illusion bezel they are all vintage. I think the slightly more ornate style of a vintage inspired piece will suit both the stone and your desire to have a ring that looks distinctly right handed.

I have a lot of these saved, too! lol!!! :lol-2:

Ha am so not surprised not that you are a step cut nut or anything.

I loooove the design Caysie made for @bright ice (second pic that @meely posted)

Its gorgeous isn't it the kind of ring that makes you long for an emerald cut. Lucky dee*jay!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results