shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! A 4 carat quandary...

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
leukolenos|1462042996|4025565 said:
Unrelated, but any chance you were at William Noble today?

I was there for mother's day pictures. I got to wear their 10 carat, $2 million + cushion! Were you there? (Are you the one with the beautiful little blonde daughter with the big brown eyes??? My favorite color combination)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1462078812|4025700 said:
arkieb1|1462066781|4025661 said:
Talk to Victor, I assume that if he cuts you a 4 carat stone that is intended to be a I or a H and it comes back a J then he would have to cut you another stone or would refund your money if it is not what you were seeking.

I'd go for a 4 carat Old Cut by Victor in one of his halos in a heartbeat, that would be about as perfect as you could get IMHO.

That is not my understanding of custom cut stones. You assume the risk and purchase the rough. Whatever happens, the risk is yours.

I think if you order a certain colour you would expect it to be that colour, they can tell from the rough before it is cut usually what colour it will end up, the clarity is usually the thing in question + or - one or two and even then the cutter usually has a fairly good indication as they tend to err on the side of caution with clarity as well.

I can't imagine any vendor not going out of their way to make their client happy, so if they cut a stone that was not what the client was expecting, ie within a certain set of specifications outlined before the stone was cut, I would assume they would sort it out..... I also think getting a specific stone custom cut is a cool thing to do, RBs are relatively easy to find but a stone like one of these, or for example DF's Octavia, or Canera Antique Cushion or Canera OEC this size are literally one in a million stones that is the difference.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk to Victor, I assume that if he cuts you a 4 carat stone that is intended to be a I or a H and it comes back a J then he would have to cut you another stone or would refund your money if it is not what you were seeking.

I'd go for a 4 carat Old Cut by Victor in one of his halos in a heartbeat, that would be about as perfect as you could get IMHO.

That is not my understanding of custom cut stones. You assume the risk and purchase the rough. Whatever happens, the risk is yours.

I emailed two vendors I know to ask them and they said that is completely wrong. I've thought about getting a stone cut myself and have watched with interest people who do it and with the reliable vendors on here, mostly I think people end up with stones with higher/better specs for a pre-agreed price up front than what they originally wanted. If you put a deposit on something to end up a specific cut colour and clarity the onus is on the vendor to provide that or better to satisfy the client, if the vendor cannot provide what has been agreed upon or better, then obviously the client has the right to break any such agreement.

What you are describing Gypsy is correct if the customer owns the rough takes it to a custom cutter and gets it cut, but when the rough is owned by one of the vendors attempting to fill an order for a client they, the vendor, carries most of that risk.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
poshmommy|1462080088|4025708 said:

I was there for mother's day pictures. I got to wear their 10 carat, $2 million + cushion! Were you there? (Are you the one with the beautiful little blonde daughter with the big brown eyes??? My favorite color combination)

Yes- she is mine; we did pictures too!!! I was totally suspicious when you mentioned going back to Southlake...but then when we talked about your ring, I was pretty sure! (Didn't want to be the weirdo that's like "hey I know you from the Internet!!" But now in retrospect I wish I had!)

That cushion was pretty major. I wore it too. You were absolutely right, it was totally worth the trip and really helped a lot- plus it was a great time and the staff were fabulous!

Any more thoughts on your upgrade dilemma?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poshmommy, I can't wait to see what you decide. Either way it is going to be an amazing ring-how could it not be at 4 carats!

But now you peeked my interest! I would really love to see your 2 ct asscher in the antique style setting. Please post a photo if you wouldn't mind to much!!!!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1462106301|4025749 said:
Poshmommy, I can't wait to see what you decide. Either way it is going to be an amazing ring-how could it not be at 4 carats!

But now you peeked my interest! I would really love to see your 2 ct asscher in the antique style setting. Please post a photo if you wouldn't mind to much!!!!

I hope she'll post a photo! It's spectacular in person, I can assure you!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I'll try! William noble just cleaned it.

_37075.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1 said:

I think if you order a certain colour you would expect it to be that colour, they can tell from the rough before it is cut usually what colour it will end up, the clarity is usually the thing in question + or - one or two and even then the cutter usually has a fairly good indication as they tend to err on the side of caution with clarity as well.

I can't imagine any vendor not going out of their way to make their client happy, so if they cut a stone that was not what the client was expecting, ie within a certain set of specifications outlined before the stone was cut, I would assume they would sort it out..... I also think getting a specific stone custom cut is a cool thing to do, RBs are relatively easy to find but a stone like one of these, or for example DF's Octavia, or Canera Antique Cushion or Canera OEC this size are literally one in a million stones that is the difference.

Custom cut stones are very interesting to me, so it would be AMAZING to have VC do that! I've only had a CS custom cut, but it was pretty cool. [emoji6]

I'd just ask VC what his policy is regarding the outcome (color, clarity,etc), and get it in writing. Win-win!

I'm sooo excited to see this ring! It will be one big, gorgeous rock, regardless of what you decide! [emoji1360][emoji1376][emoji1376]

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
The best I can do with a cell phone.

_37076.jpg

_37077.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my original G VS1, 2 carat asscher. The prongs are split claws but can't get them to photograph. Sorry pictures are sideways.

_37078.jpg

_37079.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poshmommy said:
The best I call do with a cell phone.

Wow! That's spectacular!! [emoji7][emoji7]

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
leukolenos|1462104346|4025748 said:

Yes- she is mine; we did pictures too!!! I was totally suspicious when you mentioned going back to Southlake...but then when we talked about your ring, I was pretty sure! (Didn't want to be the weirdo that's like "hey I know you from the Internet!!" But now in retrospect I wish I had!)

That cushion was pretty major. I wore it too. You were absolutely right, it was totally worth the trip and really helped a lot- plus it was a great time and the staff were fabulous!

You should have said something! I wondered if you were on Pricescope when we talked about Brian Gavin and Whiteflash. FYI, the photographer told me that they usually have a coctail party where they have several enlarged photos from the shoot around the gallery. He said they invite everyone back out and you can purchase those photos for half off. I'll go to that if I hear about it. Keep you posted.

Not sure about the dilemma still. One day I decide to do the CER the next, the ACA. I am going to try to make it to Whiteflash next week. The big question for me is if the CER is worth the $5,000-15,000 mark up over the ACAs. (Which are already marked higher than the same carat weight round)?

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1462131634|4025905 said:
poshmommy said:

Thanks! I love the set still. I won't part with it. Whiteflash offered to buy it back when we were looking a few years ago. But it's such a good every day set. Seriously, I do nearly everything with it on. It's had thousands of surgical gloves pulled on and off it. I've banged it against random things. Never had a stone come loose or any damage at all. I also wear them together all the time and there is no wear that I can see on either band for 14 years. Whiteflash checks it for me every few years to make sure.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poshmommy said:

I adore this set! I'm glad to hear that you don't plan on parting with it--I agree it's a wonderful set, and if it's do-able for you to have this for "regular" wear and something larger for special occasions then GO FOR IT! I am very excited to see what you decide, and you definitely can't go wrong given your options. :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1462101287|4025740 said:

I emailed two vendors I know to ask them and they said that is completely wrong. I've thought about getting a stone cut myself and have watched with interest people who do it and with the reliable vendors on here, mostly I think people end up with stones with higher/better specs for a pre-agreed price up front than what they originally wanted. If you put a deposit on something to end up a specific cut colour and clarity the onus is on the vendor to provide that or better to satisfy the client, if the vendor cannot provide what has been agreed upon or better, then obviously the client has the right to break any such agreement.

What you are describing Gypsy is correct if the customer owns the rough takes it to a custom cutter and gets it cut, but when the rough is owned by one of the vendors attempting to fill an order for a client they, the vendor, carries most of that risk.

She said on the first page of the thread that with Victor, she was obligated to buy if the stone is one grade higher or lower than requested. They cannot predict color of rough exactly. Apparently the final price is dependent on the grading. GOG does it differently. You request certain specs and pay for those specs and they find the rough. If the finished diamond grades higher, it's your lucky day and you don't pay extra. If it grades lower, I think you get a partial refund. They recently cut an AVC for someone who requested I color and the stone graded G VVS!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poshmommy|1462131605|4025904 said:
Here is my original G VS1, 2 carat asscher. The prongs are split claws but can't get them to photograph. Sorry pictures are sideways.

Absolutely gorgeous set!!! I am glad you are keeping it! I am all for multiple engagement rings (with one husband!! :bigsmile: )!

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1462134310|4025923 said:

Absolutely gorgeous set!!! I am glad you are keeping it! I am all for multiple engagement rings (with one husband!! :bigsmile: )!
This just made me lol :lol:

Like everyone else, I can't wait to see what you decide! Don't you just love having to make decisions like these, where either choice is going to be simply glorious?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poshmommy said:
poshmommy said:

Thanks! I love the set still. I won't part with it. Whiteflash offered to buy it back when we were looking a few years ago. But it's such a good every day set. Seriously, I do nearly everything with it on. It's had thousands of surgical gloves pulled on and off it. I've banged it against random things. Never had a stone come loose or any damage at all. I also wear them together all the time and there is no wear that I can see on either band for 14 years. Whiteflash checks it for me every few years to make sure.

OMG! Never part with it!! [emoji177][emoji177]

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
poshmommy|1462132582|4025911 said:
leukolenos|1462104346|4025748 said:

You should have said something! I wondered if you were on Pricescope when we talked about Brian Gavin and Whiteflash. FYI, the photographer told me that they usually have a coctail party where they have several enlarged photos from the shoot around the gallery. He said they invite everyone back out and you can purchase those photos for half off. I'll go to that if I hear about it. Keep you posted.

Not sure about the dilemma still. One day I decide to do the CER the next, the ACA. I am going to try to make it to Whiteflash next week. The big question for me is if the CER is worth the $5,000-15,000 mark up over the ACAs. (Which are already marked higher than the same carat weight round)?

Oh wow, that sounds really fun! I would definitely go to that. I'm going down next week also- let me know if you want to meet up? I feel like we could really use a PM function on here, darnit.

I know how that goes...I change my mind daily. WN helped...but then again it didn't. Now I have more (other) choices.... :o

I'm kind of thinking the ACA might be a better choice for you. However, the CER would be really special....you must be a very lucky girl because Tim told me they weren't custom cutting when I called!!! ;-) Maybe you should get a little baby OEC just to test the waters.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Update! I just heard from Victor and apparentlly I have misunderstood him. His custom cut process is skewed to favor and protect the buyer. Much like what people have reported with Good old gold. And his CER prices are similar to his Canera hearts and arrows prices which are more in line with the Whiteflash ACA. Things may be getting easier to decide now...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know of 3 people on here that have gotten stones custom cut and each time the vendors and the cutters erred on the side of caution so much that the stones came back either a higher colour or a higher clarity than what the customer requested and each time the customer paid the agree upfront price so on each occasion they ended up with a higher colour/more expensive stone than they paid for.....

I think provided it's a recommended vendor you should be fine.

You have really beautiful rings. Thanks for the photos!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good news on the custom cutting.

I ADORE, ADORE, ADORE your asscher.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poshmommy|1462142457|4025987 said:
Update! I just heard from Victor and apparentlly I have misunderstood him. His custom cut process is skewed to favor and protect the buyer. Much like what people have reported with Good old gold. And his CER prices are similar to his Canera hearts and arrows prices which are more in line with the Whiteflash ACA. Things may be getting easier to decide now...

Oh, that is great news!!!! I think a CER in an Emilya would be a dream ring!!! :love:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poshmommy, THANK YOU for posting the pics of your gorgeous asscher! It is a beautiful set, and I am so glad you are keeping it! I adore it.
I am especially impressed it held up so well and for so many years. I really need my set to do that and it is not. While you are waiting to find your 4 carat-er you have a wonderful set to wear!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nahhh...better to have multiple husbands!... :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1462243390|4026380 said:

Nahhh...better to have multiple husbands!... :lol:

Way too much drama and stress involved in switching husbands to get more rings, DF! :lol: One husband is enough for me, at least! But I am all in on the multiple diamond ring plan!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results