shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello Lover...Asscher Review!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
I finally found an Asscher that I like the "look" of...but I need all you asscher diamond lovers to give me all your brilliant criticism!!

Diamond Info:

Item Number: 1284618
Shape: Asscher
Carat weight: 1.37
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 68.1%
Table: 64.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Very thick, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.02*5.95*4.05
Ratio: 1.01

I will attach the ASET image and Sarin scan next...

I thought it was beautiful in the normal image but then I was confused with the others...

I also fear the size will be a little smaller than I would hope for -- I have tried a few 1.20-1.23 that I felt were too small for my long fingers so I have been looking in the 1.35-1.5 range hoping to find something a little larger. I am afraid this is a diamond that is not going to face up big...prob look more small?? Opinions, experience?

Amanda

Bling_030210.jpg

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
The JamesAllen link and GIA report can be found at:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1284618.asp

The measurements do not match the Sarin Report??

Amanda

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own a great asscher but that certainly does not make me an expert at picking them, but I'd like to think out loud here.

To me, what I love about my asscher is its "asscherness". - That look; that pattern that pulls you in.
Mine does this in almost every lighting environment I encounter.
That pattern comes from alternating colors in spotlighting or alternating light and dark bars when flat even lighting results in no colors.
If all the layers in the asscher were all equally bright there would be no asscher pattern.
An asscher needs to be cut to grab and present contrasting adjacent bars, light, dark, light, dark, light, dark all the way to the center.

It does this by grabbing light from different angles (overhead, the horizon, and in between) which is likely to vary in brightness.
Fortunately for the asscher lover our environment is almost never evenly lit from horizon to overhead.
IMHO a good asscher is cut to give you this alternating pattern as often as possible in as many lighting environments as possible.

An ASET scope colors the light coming from three angle ranges, straight up, near the horizon, and in between.
To me a good ASET pic will show alternating colors everywhere, even in the windmills.
Adjacent facets or bars with the same color is not good and represent a missed opportunity for pattern-building contrast.
The above ASET image does not demonstrate alternating colors as well as others I've seen especially were we see all that green in the windmills themselves.

Does this make sense to you guys?
If my reasoning is flawed I hope Karl or another expert will correct me here.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Kenny,
That is one kind of asscher look that is as you describe there are many others.
Some people love the drop style, some like the less contrasty more steppy like yours, some like them in between some like other looks....
So I''m not going to say your wrong because you do love that type and so do I :}
But, someone isn''t wrong if they love the other types, I do :}

back to the diamond in question:
It is not that unusual for the gia and the ogi results to be that far off.
I would consider asking that it be redone.

The green in the ASET, JA''s aset setup overstates green sometimes and in this case it did.
looking at the regular picture several areas that should be red are green.
This one in person would be a drop style with a large center lit area.

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi! Thank you for the Kenny and Karl!

I requested that JA for a redo. We will see how they reply.

I would like to better understand what you guys think of this asscher. I am hoping the new results from JA will help you share with me your thoughts.

What I like about this diamond is the symmetry and the look of the windmills...and the price! I hate not being able to see this diamond in person so I am relying on you guys to give me an honest opinion if I should keep looking. My other fear is that this diamond is going to look equivalent to an asscher in the 1.2ish range not the 1.37 that it is...I have seen some 1.2 range that look really small and some that face up larger. I wish I could tell with this one!

Can''t find Asschers in Ohio!!!

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
My real problem...I have been reading tooooo much on this forum and really want one of those Karl''s "Kicken Asscher"!!!
30.gif
I hope it exists so I can get a ring on my finger...finally :)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 8:29:11 AM
Author: diamondwanted
My real problem...I have been reading tooooo much on this forum and really want one of those Karl''s ''Kicken Asscher''!!!
30.gif
I hope it exists so I can get a ring on my finger...finally :)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6769/ is the closest I could find to your specs as there are only three I can see listed online.
But ask Jon at GOG maybe they can get you a slightly larger G colored one or closer to it anyway.

You are in good hands.

CCL

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 5:28:29 PM
Author: Karl_K
Hi Kenny,
That is one kind of asscher look that is as you describe there are many others.
Some people love the drop style, some like the less contrasty more steppy like yours, some like them in between some like other looks....
So I''m not going to say your wrong because you do love that type and so do I :}
But, someone isn''t wrong if they love the other types, I do :}

back to the diamond in question:
It is not that unusual for the gia and the ogi results to be that far off.
I would consider asking that it be redone.

The green in the ASET, JA''s aset setup overstates green sometimes and in this case it did.
looking at the regular picture several areas that should be red are green.
This one in person would be a drop style with a large center lit area.
Is there a tutorial showing a real picture, specs and ASET of well cut examples of each type of asscher?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2010 11:42:20 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover
Is there a tutorial showing a real picture, specs and ASET of well cut examples of each type of asscher?
I am working on a tutorial but it is very slow going because it is not easy.
Some of the info in these threads is outdated but there are pictures of the different types.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-about-asschers.24689/page-2

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asschers-and-aset-a-sneak-peek.35080/

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
I asked for JA to redo the ASET...will post as soon as I hear back...

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
I just saw pics Kenny''s Octavia...droooooling....I want one of those now!! :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2010 3:33:05 PM
I just saw pics Kenny's Octavia...droooooling....I want one of those now!! :)
Amanda, you gotta get an Octavia.

I've worn a superb regular asscher for 3 years but this new Octavia blows it out of the water even though it is almost a carat smaller.
The Octavia has the aggressive light performance of even our superbly-cut ACA round which is a miracle for a step cut.

I wish more people could see Octavias live.
I hope GOG/KarlK bring them to future Jewelry conventions and shows.
They gotta get the word out about this cut.

The Octavia is simply out of this world - and that's coming from me, a hopeless diamond cut snob.

Click

I heard they have three larger Octavias on the way.
Sorry to be such a loudmouth about the Octavia - I just feel like running up to everyone I see, shoving it in their face and yelling, LOOK AT THIS!
3.gif

It's THAT good.

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2010 3:58:38 PM
Author: kenny

I''ve worn a superb regular asscher for 3 years but this new Octavia blows it out of the water even though it is almost a carat smaller.

The Octavia has the aggressive light performance of even our superbly-cut ACA round which is a miracle for a step cut.

The Octavia is simply out of this world - and that''s coming from me, a hopeless diamond cut snob.

Click

Sorry to be such a loudmouth about the Octavia - I just feel like running up to everyone I see, shoving it in their face and yelling, LOOK AT THIS!
3.gif

It''s THAT good.

Oh Kenny, you should shout it from the roof tops! Let me wipe the drool from my lips... That thing is unbelievable!! Seriously!!! I was unsure when I saw it for the first time...but after I saw your pics I was green with envy!! I hope my use of exclamation marks shows my enthusiasm!!!!
31.gif

I would love to have one similar to the size of yours...I hope they get some in soon...will probably sell quickly!! My boyfriend thinks I will never find a diamond I like, too picky...I know it is out there, just have to find the one for me
9.gif

Two already left the GOG website since yesterday.

Amanda

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here is the second ASET image JA provided...what do you guys think about this diamond now?

The email said that the lack of red could be because the diamond is only a "very good" cut or possible the diamond is actually performing better thant the image would suggest.

Help!

Asset2_030410.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 12:29:54 PM
Author: Karl_K

Date: 3/3/2010 11:42:20 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover
I am working on a tutorial but it is very slow going because it is not easy.
Some of the info in these threads is outdated but there are pictures of the different types.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-about-asschers.24689/page-2

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asschers-and-aset-a-sneak-peek.35080/
Thank-you will check out the threads.
I understand it must be difficult using only static images and isolating variables that contribute to each look independantly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 7:51:26 AM
Here is the second ASET image JA provided...what do you guys think about this diamond now?

The email said that the lack of red could be because the diamond is only a 'very good' cut or possible the diamond is actually performing better thant the image would suggest.

Help!
The patterning is good but there isn't much red in the image and it looks tilted also, see what Karl says when he logs in.

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2010 7:43:20 AM
Date: 3/4/2010 3:58:38 PM

Author: kenny

I''ve worn a superb regular asscher for 3 years but this new Octavia blows it out of the water even though it is almost a carat smaller.

The Octavia is simply out of this world - and that''s coming from me, a hopeless diamond cut snob.

Click

3.gif

It''s THAT good.

Oh Kenny, you should shout it from the roof tops! Let me wipe the drool from my lips... That thing is unbelievable!! Seriously!!! I was unsure when I saw it for the first time...but after I saw your pics I was green with envy!! I hope my use of exclamation marks shows my enthusiasm!!!!
31.gif

I would love to have one similar to the size of yours...I hope they get some in soon...will probably sell quickly!! My boyfriend thinks I will never find a diamond I like, too picky...I know it is out there, just have to find the one for me
9.gif

Two already left the GOG website since yesterday.

Amanda

Nevermind, they are back up on the site now...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, there's something wonky about GOG's site.

I look from time to time and sometimes there is only one Octavia listed and other times all 3 are there.

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
It''s gone, and now I am sad.
39.gif

diamondwanted

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can''t stop thinking of the diamond I missed out on...lesson learned the hard way.

Only bright spot is there may be some octavia''s to choose from...and the thought of a Karl designed Cushion...SERIOUSLY this is getting exciting!!!
36.gif

Kenny...I contacted Jonathon at goodoldgold...hoping the new ones aren''t too far out of my price range...might have to do some begging to the boy!
30.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds being discussed here are frequently gobbled up by lurkers.

It's best to reveal only a minimum of what is necessary to get feedback on the cut.
When possible keep details like price, weight, clarity, and color secret.
Also if you have a very serious contender consider asking the vendor to put it on hold before you post about it.

Good luck on your diamond safari!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results