shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom star sapphire - any input?

kdee

Rough_Rock
Hi all, this was my favorite piece of my mom's jewelry when I was a kid, I never saw her wear it, just sat in the safe and I loved to play with and admire it when allowed. When she died I knew I needed to keep it even though it's not my style these days and it's too big for me. I have no idea of it's provenance, and assume it's natural but honestly don't know. It does look "rough" on the back (hard to get a photo of mounted) and I think the asterism moves with the light source which both seem promising? Can you tell anything from these photos? The metal is hallmarked 14k and I think the diamonds look like little single cuts. Thanks! IMG_20190119_123228.jpg IMG_20190119_123301.jpg IMG_20190119_123353.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely ring and setting. I think it's a natural star sapphire :) but could be Ceylon or Burmese or anywhere else that produces. Sharp asterism. Unlikely to be treated as it's not a vivid blue or red or pink which are the pricier shades.

kdee

Rough_Rock
Lovely ring and setting. I think it's a natural star sapphire :) but could be Ceylon or Burmese or anywhere else that produces. Sharp asterism. Unlikely to be treated as it's not a vivid blue or red or pink which are the pricier shades.
Thanks @Burmesedaze! I actually love its soft moody hue so even better that it means it's probably untreated. I will at some point take it to an appraiser to get more info, and often consider resetting the star in something more wearable. One more shot of the lovely but (for me) impractical setting. IMG_20190119_123404.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Burmesedaze! I actually love its soft moody hue so even better that it means it's probably untreated. I will at some point take it to an appraiser to get more info, and often consider resetting the star in something more wearable. One more shot of the lovely but (for me) impractical setting. IMG_20190119_123404.jpg

Wow look at that gallery. I think it's perfect where it is :) very romantic ring and the colour and setting complement each other.

May you find much joy in the ring!

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that gallery is gorgeous! What a lovely piece, I hope you can wear it and enjoy it. A great memento of your mother.

kdee

Rough_Rock
Wow look at that gallery. I think it's perfect where it is :) very romantic ring and the colour and setting complement each other.

Wow, that gallery is gorgeous! What a lovely piece, I hope you can wear it and enjoy it. A great memento of your mother.

Thank you! You guys are encouraging me to get it sized and try to wear her more. The high profile is definitely different from my day to day, but it really is a beauty!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is an absolutely gorgeous ring @kdee, I love the color of the sapphire and I think the setting is amazing. It looks perfect on your pretty hand. I'm so sorry for your loss. <3

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the back has natural rough, it is possibly natural. Most synthetic stars have smooth or polished back.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, this was my favorite piece of my mom's jewelry when I was a kid, I never saw her wear it, just sat in the safe and I loved to play with and admire it when allowed. When she died I knew I needed to keep it even though it's not my style these days and it's too big for me. I have no idea of it's provenance, and assume it's natural but honestly don't know. It does look "rough" on the back (hard to get a photo of mounted) and I think the asterism moves with the light source which both seem promising? Can you tell anything from these photos? The metal is hallmarked 14k and I think the diamonds look like little single cuts. Thanks! IMG_20190119_123228.jpg IMG_20190119_123301.jpg IMG_20190119_123353.jpg
That's gorgeous! Lovely in all the details. I think it looks natural, and the setting is quite exquisite. :kiss2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous.
You must wear it. Maybe to dinner occasionally. It deserves to be seen!

kdee

Rough_Rock
If the back has natural rough, it is possibly natural. Most synthetic stars have smooth or polished back.
Thank you! This is the best photo I could get of the roughness I see on the back. It's overall flat but definitely not what I'd call smooth or polished. IMG_20190303_122423.jpg

kdee

Rough_Rock
@stracci2000 @junebug17 @voce @clumberlove
Thank you for your kind words! I actually lost my mom some 19 years ago when I was in college but was in no way into jewelry, and certainly not vintage jewelry, until pretty recently. It just sat as a sentimental piece in my jewelry box, and I only really wore it to feel her with me on very special occasions like my graduations and wedding. But, you are all right, it needs to be seen! One last shot of the shoulder which I thought was particularly flattering.Thanks for letting me share! IMG_20190303_122105.jpg

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a stunning ring, kdee! The setting is just amazing. You might also want to get it appraised for insurance purposes. I'm glad you have this beautiful memento of your mother :)

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! Your mom left you with a lovely ring and wonderful way to keep her with you. Wear it and smile!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful, misty, dreamy star sapphire ring! Looks very natural to me. I love the setting and it looks fantastic on you. Lovely:)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so beautiful and looks natural to me too. The setting is so lovely with it. I am happy for you!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very beautiful.
There was a premium synthetic star sapphire by “Linde” in the 1960s however they were engraved on the back of the gem with a cursive “L”.
Otherwise synthetic star sapphires are not really a very good replica of a natural star sapphire.
Get a jeweller to look it over for any loose gems, bent claws and they wear that beauty everywhere.
A good lilac star sapphire is rare and precious.

kdee

Rough_Rock
@leslie1956 @MrsKMB @Bluegemz @ilovegemstones @Bron357
I'm SO pleased to hear from you all, thanks! I've been a lurker around here for a good while and it's really lovely to share my mom's ring and have such thoughtful replies. I think with some sizing beads it'll be a lot more comfortable and wearable (with my bony hands everything that will fit over the knuckle spins like crazy without them) and with the encouragement I've gotten here that it is as special as I've always thought it was, I'll definitely be taking it in to a trusted jeweler and appraiser. Thanks again everyone!

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
So pretty :drool: love the design on that setting!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
In my humble opinion, that is most definetely a natural star sapphire.
What a special piece to remember and commemorate your mother ❤
Isnt it lovely when memories and emotions tie with our precious gems?
Its like they are mini cameras and capture those feelings or moments in the stone forever!

Enjoy her! :kiss2:

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock

Ooh. That is so pretty. It’s regal looking! Its vintage-old Hollywood. Love it.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree
the setting in beautiful

@kdee channel your inner child and remember how much you loved it as a wee girl

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's stunning. I love the color, the star, the setting...everything about it. I especially love that it belonged to your mother. If I were you, I'd wear it and I'd wear it often.

As a jewelry lover, I often wish I had a special piece of jewelry that belonged to my mom, but unfortunately she didn't have much. Her original engagement and wedding rings were lost a long time ago. She wore a plain gold band for years and my sister has that now. I have a few of my mom's books, some old linens that were made by her grandmother, a few little knick knacks and that's about it.

Wearing a ring that belonged to your mother and admiring its beauty and her memory is a really special thing. Definitely enjoy it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful star sapphire (it's not to big at all!!!) and the side of that setting is gorgeous, and I love the leaves on top, resize it and wear it!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's absolutely fabulous!! The stone and the setting are very beautiful and it is a wonderful remembrance of your Mother. The gallery is amazing. Personally I wouldn't change anything about it. I really hope that you can wear it more often!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results