color
clarity

Heirloom Diamond ID

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, fellow PSers, and Experts!!
I need your help!!
I have several heirloom pieces that have been passed down to me, over the years. Some are from my Grandmother, my Great-Grandmother, and my Great-Aunts. I have no certifications on any of them, and I need to get them appraised.
I have trolled through threads, since joining PS, and I have seen literally hundreds of Round Cut Diamonds. All of the posts have me wondering, and closely inspecting the stones in my heirloom pieces.
Quite honestly, I'm not very knowledgeable of Round Cut Diamonds; I'm the Step Cut Queen. I can't tell an H & A (easily) from an OEC or OMC to save my soul.
I'm interested to know if anyone can shed some light on these two diamonds, in particular. They are the only plain, yellow gold solitaires in my collection. Can you identify the cut on them?
Stone #1:
I know this smaller stone was my Great-Grandmother's first e-ring from my Great-Grandfather (he got her an upgrade, later-that I do not have). It's an estimated 0.30-0.35ct Round Cut. I'm guessing the color ranges between H-J (it's a little warmer than my G). It's eye clean, so I'll put it around SI1-VS1 clarity, by naked eye exam. Again, I'm getting it appraised...
Any guesses or true ID?

Stone #2:
This ring belonged to my Great-Aunt. It was given to my mother, after she passed away because my father never had money to give her a diamond ring. My mother is unable to wear it due to arthritis, so it is now in my collection.
Again, it needs to be appraised, BUT...amateur guess specs: 0.75-0.90ct Round Cut, H-J color, eye clean SI1-VS1 clarity.
Any guess or true ID?

This may prove to be an interesting thread. I'm anxious to get answers. When I have them appraised, I'll update the thread!
Many thanks for your help!!
CRM

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4934.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

IMG_4937.JPG

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi matthews1127 and welcome! First, how lovely that you have such sentimental pieces to remind you of the special women in your life! They are beautiful! I'll be honest...based on your photos, it's hard to tell with any certainty, but they both look like late OEC/early tranny to my eye. As for color/clarity, it's really hard to tell unless you have a photo of the stones next to something with a known color grade. Clarity is impossible to tell based on your photos. If it's important to you to know what they are worth for insurance value, you'd need to have them appraised. If it's just for curiosity's sake, take them to a local jeweler and ask them to give you their opinion. Ask them to show you against graded stones (or their GIA master set)...that should give you some idea of color....hope this helps!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi matthews1127 and welcome! First, how lovely that you have such sentimental pieces to remind you of the special women in your life! They are beautiful! I'll be honest...based on your photos, it's hard to tell with any certainty, but they both look like late OEC/early tranny to my eye. As for color/clarity, it's really hard to tell unless you have a photo of the stones next to something with a known color grade. Clarity is impossible to tell based on your photos. If it's important to you to know what they are worth for insurance value, you'd need to have them appraised. If it's just for curiosity's sake, take them to a local jeweler and ask them to give you their opinion. Ask them to show you against graded stones (or their GIA master set)...that should give you some idea of color....hope this helps!
Yennyfire!
Thank you for your reply! The appraisal is most certainly necessary...I have no idea what either of them are worth. I am curious of the specific cut of each. I was THINKING...MAYBE OEC...just because of the era in which each would have been worn: late 1800's, very early 1900's. It's so difficult to see the lines & designs...that is my struggle. I may just have to take them to a jeweler to have them magnified...and appraised. *sigh*.
I am just so curious...lol!
I'm going to work on photos...maybe I'll get lucky with the perfect angle & light to catch something that will be more obvious!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yennyfire!
Thank you for your reply! The appraisal is most certainly necessary...I have no idea what either of them are worth. I am curious of the specific cut of each. I was THINKING...MAYBE OEC...just because of the era in which each would have been worn: late 1800's, very early 1900's. It's so difficult to see the lines & designs...that is my struggle. I may just have to take them to a jeweler to have them magnified...and appraised. *sigh*.
I am just so curious...lol!
I'm going to work on photos...maybe I'll get lucky with the perfect angle & light to catch something that will be more obvious!
Ahh, based on those dates, they are probably more likely OECs....I've always struggled with taking good macro photos, so I understand the struggle! LOL....

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, CRM :wavey:

Would you like some suggestions as to how to go about finding an appraiser & even some recommendations as to whom to go to? If so, providing your geographical location would help us help you (altho' you can ship pieces off to an appraiser who's not close to you, that does add to the expense & many people prefer to go local).

P.S. Think it's likely your great-aunt's ring is closer to being of mid-20th century vintage, if she was the original owner of a new ring she received as a young adult, say when she was 20-25 years old. (Your grandmother's sister would have to have been born in the 1870's - 1890's in order to receive an e-ring in the late 1800's - very early 1900's while in her 20's.) If it is newer than contemplated, that doesn't mean, however, it has lost value as a piece of cherished family history!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_8271.JPG IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG
Confirmation on 1 of these Diamonds:
0.75ct (spread is equivalent to 0.75ct OEC in mm across)-0.90ct OEC G-I color, SI2-SI1 clarity. The ring will need to be appraised for better estimates!
I am having it reset into a new semi mount I purchased from @Bostonberry.
This ring is going to be amazing!!! I'm so excited!!!
IMG_8270.JPG IMG_8240.JPG IMG_8245.JPG IMG_8248.JPG IMG_8252.JPG IMG_8251.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8267.JPG
    IMG_8267.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 23

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find and great price! That matches your wedding band almost perfect!!! I think it was meant to be!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find and great price! That matches your wedding band almost perfect!!! I think it was meant to be!

I couldn't agree more!!! I'm absolutely THRILLED that the diamond is an OEC! I believe the smaller (0.33-0.45ct) stone mentioned earlier, above, is also an OEC, but I have to take it in to be examined more closely for confirmation.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 the new setting is such an amazing match to your new anniversary and wedding bands! I love it! So lovely to be able to wear and cherish these sentimental pieces!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 the new setting is such an amazing match to your new anniversary and wedding bands! I love it! So lovely to be able to wear and cherish these sentimental pieces!

I couldn't agree more, @SimoneDi!! I am looking forward to wearing this ring, and handing it down to my son for his future wife, or to my daughter, when she's older! It's absolutely stunning!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't agree more, @SimoneDi!! I am looking forward to wearing this ring, and handing it down to my son for his future wife, or to my daughter, when she's older! It's absolutely stunning!!!
Awe that is so thoughtful of you! Enjoy your beautiful sparkles in the meantime and I am sure that your children will much appreciate them if you never decide to pass them down to them :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Matthews1127 :wavey:

I came across this thread this morning and wanted to ask you - did you ever get the stats on these two stones? They're so lovely! Also, do you know their diameter and/or ctw? I just LOVE those settings!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Matthews1127 :wavey:

I came across this thread this morning and wanted to ask you - did you ever get the stats on these two stones? They're so lovely! Also, do you know their diameter and/or ctw? I just LOVE those settings!

Hi, @mrs-b! :wavey:
I had the larger stone examined. It’s not certified, yet, but it is an OEC, approx. 0.75ct in estimated size. The stone was not measured to exact mm, but...according to the jeweler, it’s an eye clean SI clarity, G-H color.
It has been reset into a semi-mount for my son, when he’s older & ready to propose.
At that time, he can decide to use that ring, change out the stone, or get his own.
If he decides to use this one, I will have it sent out for certification.
The other stone has not been examined, yet.
I have the original setting of the larger stone....

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooohhhh! Is the larger of the 2 heirloom diamonds the one which you put into Nancy? I'm completely familiar with your Nancy, but had forgotten that diamond went into her! What a beauty she is! Do you have plans for the empty setting?

Thank you!! :kiss2:
Presently, I do not have anything specific in mind for the setting. I’m holding onto it for my daughter. She may decide to use it....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky kids! :))

ETA Good mom.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky kids! :))

ETA Good mom.

Thank you!! She may want to have something sentimental that has been passed down, and place her own stone inside. If not, I’ll have to decide whether or not to keep or sell....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results