color
clarity

Heating of Corundum - an investment?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GregS|1351349372|3293498 said:
Interesting pictures, I enjoyed them.
Many gemstones will likely be good long term investments. By long I mean 20-30 years. My father paid 1,000 dollars for my Mom's diamond in her engagement ring 41 years ago. It recently appraised at well over $10,000. Colorless diamonds aren't that rare and I don't think they qualify as highly sought after.

Increasing 10x in value over 40 years is around 6% a year. Inflation only would cause the stone to cost around $5,700 today. So the real return would be around 100% in 40 years or 1.8% a year. That is not what I would consider a good investment.

Expanding on the heating to improve colour comment I made earlier. Heating may improve colour - make a blue sapphire bluer, for example. But it won't lead to drastic colour change, like white to orange as shown. While I am no sapphire expert, some of the blue nodules look like the colour changed far too drastically. In the before picture, you can see some very pale greenish yellowish stones, while the after picture doesn't show anything near that.

JewelryLover

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1351352501|3293518 said:
Many gemstones will likely be good long term investments. By long I mean 20-30 years. My father paid 1,000 dollars for my Mom's diamond in her engagement ring 41 years ago. It recently appraised at well over $10,000. Colorless diamonds aren't that rare and I don't think they qualify as highly sought after.

Increasing 10x in value over 40 years is around 6% a year. Inflation only would cause the stone to cost around $5,700 today. So the real return would be around 100% in 40 years or 1.8% a year. That is not what I would consider a good investment.

Expanding on the heating to improve colour comment I made earlier. Heating may improve colour - make a blue sapphire bluer, for example. But it won't lead to drastic colour change, like white to orange as shown. While I am no sapphire expert, some of the blue nodules look like the colour changed far too drastically. In the before picture, you can see some very pale greenish yellowish stones, while the after picture doesn't show anything near that.

That sure is a win win if you purchase diamonds by yourself now and save them. As long as it isn't Inherited jewelry, I would never sell that in a million years even if it were worth millions. I'd rather live on the street with my jewelry than selling it for money.

I have also read that colored diamonds (natural diamonds) will double their value every 4th year. I dont know if this is true or not but this is what diamond dealers say atleast, jewelry stores as well.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

A 6% return on something one can enjoy immensely for many years sounds good to me. Correct if I'm wrong, but I think that qualifies as a "win win".

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelryLover|1351352723|3293519 said:

I have also read that colored diamonds (natural diamonds) will double their value every 4th year. I dont know if this is true or not but this is what diamond dealers say atleast, jewelry stores as well.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Absolute rubbish! It's dangerous to believe sweeping generalisations made by people who clearly want to be able to sell their goods at high prices!

Beware what you read on the internet - theres so much incredibly misleading information that unfortunately people believe to be the truth.

JewelryLover

Shiny_Rock
LD|1351353178|3293522 said:
JewelryLover|1351352723|3293519 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Absolute rubbish! It's dangerous to believe sweeping generalisations made by people who clearly want to be able to sell their goods at high prices!

Beware what you read on the internet - theres so much incredibly misleading information that unfortunately people believe to be the truth.

As I said; I dont know if it were true or not ;-)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A $100 per ct cut sapphire, is not going to heat and become a $4500 per ct stone. That's what your math in the first post is saying I think. Unless you were talking about $100 per rough piece. In that case, the 5 ct rough will finish to be a 1 ct cut stone.

If you are really interesting in heating sapphire successfully, I would suggest taking a course from Gemlab Inc, taught by Ted Themelis. This is a science and and art, the secrets of which you won't find published on the internet. You also need the correct type of oven.

The next question is where are you going to get this sapphire rough to heat? You will need to travel to the locations where the stones are mined, and then buy in some quantity, taking both good stones and junk, or pay a premium for the rough.

I have been traveling an buying rough for over 10 years, and I have NEVER seen anyone offer some fantastic deal, or any stone fall through the cracks. Everyone I have met in this business fully understands what they have, and what it's worth. This includes guys deep in the bush in Africa, or in a parking lot in Tucson.

Chris, those bright yellow zircons you see me offer from time to time, start out as a honey brown stone from Tanzania. I just heat them with forceps over the alcohol lamp. It takes about 5 minutes, and you can watch them change color. There is a bit of a trick to however. I'll tell you if you are interested in trying it.

JewelryLover

Shiny_Rock
PrecisionGem|1351353362|3293525 said:
A $100 per ct cut sapphire, is not going to heat and become a $4500 per ct stone. That's what your math in the first post is saying I think. Unless you were talking about $100 per rough piece. In that case, the 5 ct rough will finish to be a 1 ct cut stone.

If you are really interesting in heating sapphire successfully, I would suggest taking a course from Gemlab Inc, taught by Ted Themelis. This is a science and and art, the secrets of which you won't find published on the internet. You also need the correct type of oven.

The next question is where are you going to get this sapphire rough to heat? You will need to travel to the locations where the stones are mined, and then buy in some quantity, taking both good stones and junk, or pay a premium for the rough.

I have been traveling an buying rough for over 10 years, and I have NEVER seen anyone offer some fantastic deal, or any stone fall through the cracks. Everyone I have met in this business fully understands what they have, and what it's worth. This includes guys deep in the bush in Africa, or in a parking lot in Tucson.

Chris, those bright yellow zircons you see me offer from time to time, start out as a honey brown stone from Tanzania. I just heat them with forceps over the alcohol lamp. It takes about 5 minutes, and you can watch them change color. There is a bit of a trick to however. I'll tell you if you are interested in trying it.

AS I SAID EARLIER: I'm not talking about heating rough gemstones, that's not in my interest at all! I'm interested in heating only faceted gemstones.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The inflation calculator said "$1,000.00 in 1941 had the same buying power as $16,005.11 in 2012." I don't know how much "well over 10k" is but it could very well be less than inflation.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THATS IT! I've bitten my tongue for forever, but I can't take it any more!

Jewelrylover, will you slow down and learn already?!!! This is ridiculous! You have money burning a huge whole in your pocket. Why don't you go invest in real estate or something with a track record? You are coming to a consumer site, wanting us to tell you how basically to get into the business. No disrespect, but you seem naive to me. Go to a professional site and ask these questions. Go to the site that has Gemology as the first word in the title.

The professionals go collect their own rough, have slaved to make contacts that get them rough directly, or buy from the reputable rough sellers online. What makes you think you can randomly buy rough when others, who, with all due respect, know what they're doing, are finding rough and making realistic profit margins, cannot make the gazillion dollar profit you think it just waiting for you?!! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Wake up!!!

JewelryLover

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1351357025|3293553 said:
THATS IT! I've bitten my tongue for forever, but I can't take it any more!

Jewelrylover, will you slow down and learn already?!!! This is ridiculous! You have money burning a huge whole in your pocket. Why don't you go invest in real estate or something with a track record? You are coming to a consumer site, wanting us to tell you how basically to get into the business. No disrespect, but you seem naive to me. Go to a professional site and ask these questions. Go to the site that has Gemology as the first word in the title.

The professionals go collect their own rough, have slaved to make contacts that get them rough directly, or buy from the reputable rough sellers online. What makes you think you can randomly buy rough when others, who, with all due respect, know what they're doing, are finding rough and making realistic profit margins, cannot make the gazillion dollar profit you think it just waiting for you?!! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Wake up!!!

If you had bottered to read the whole topic or even the line over this post you would see first of all that I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT ROUGH, I'm talking about already faceted (cut) gemstones.

Second, I started this topic to see what people did think about it. Not to tell me how to, who to, which to, or anything. I did ask one question because I'm interested in heating, and also if and or the profit as well.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever. Good luck to you.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
distracts|1351355734|3293545 said:

The inflation calculator said "$1,000.00 in 1941 had the same buying power as $16,005.11 in 2012." I don't know how much "well over 10k" is but it could very well be less than inflation.
2012-41=1971. :read:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg. You haven't said the carat weight of your mother's diamond but it would be interesting to compare carat/colour/clarity of the stone to how much it would cost today to buy the same diamond. As you know, it's fairly easy to do this with diamonds - almost impossible with coloured gemstones.

If I take a 1ct diamond I bought a few years ago (at a discount from a diamond dealer I know) and compare it to today's prices, it would cost me about 20-30% more to buy now. HOWEVER, if I were to sell the diamond, I would only recoup about 50-70% (perhaps less) of the price I originally bought it for.

Don't forget an appraisal is not worth/value, it's typically for insurance purposes and that normally is higher than you'd buy something for from new (with some exceptions).

BTW - I would love to agree with you (and your previous posts) because I'd be a very happy bunny with my collection/value. It pains me to disagree!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
It's a round 1.01 e vvs2.

Moot point though, because like you said, diamonds don't walk the same line that colored stones do. I'm bowing out of this discussion, as some folks are allowing themselves to get all fired up.

:halo: :Up_to_something:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1351360119|3293590 said:
It's a round 1.01 e vvs2.

Okey dokey - well I've just done a search (but bear in mind I'm in the UK). I have found diamonds with exactly the same specifications from £5,000-£7,000 (approximately $7,000 TO $9,000). This shows me that your Mum's diamond hasn't increased in value - it has actually kept up with the market.

http://www.diamondgeezer.com/diamonds/diamondsolitaire.php?shape=round&colour=E&clarity=VVS2&carat=1.00&cat=5

Here's the link so you can check for yourself. I looked on Good Old Gold but they don't have anything comparable.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Good thing I plan on falling back on my collection of NASCAR memorabilia in my golden years. :naughty:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww bless you Greg. There are actually some stones that if you bought now they MIGHT have a fighting chance of increasing in value but it's the old adage that you may have to spend a tidy sum now, tie it up in order to realise as an investment later. This is going to sound awful and I hate saying this but 10-20 years ago, gems that were plentiful and relatively low in cost were easy to acquire. Some of those now are impossible to get and so yes, there are exceptions to the rule. Without a crystal ball however it's impossible to predict how the market will go.

One gemstone at the moment that is (and actually has always been increasing) is Alexandrite. Despite it being mined still, good examples are still difficult to find and the mining is in small quantities (to the market). Buying the best now - although it will cost a tidy sum - may give you good results BUT only if you can sell it on. Realistically only the best gems will attract high prices and sums of money on the second hand market which is why this probably only applies to very nice gems.

JewelryLover

Shiny_Rock
LD|1351361706|3293609 said:
Awwwww bless you Greg. There are actually some stones that if you bought now they MIGHT have a fighting chance of increasing in value but it's the old adage that you may have to spend a tidy sum now, tie it up in order to realise as an investment later. This is going to sound awful and I hate saying this but 10-20 years ago, gems that were plentiful and relatively low in cost were easy to acquire. Some of those now are impossible to get and so yes, there are exceptions to the rule. Without a crystal ball however it's impossible to predict how the market will go.

One gemstone at the moment that is (and actually has always been increasing) is Alexandrite. Despite it being mined still, good examples are still difficult to find and the mining is in small quantities (to the market). Buying the best now - although it will cost a tidy sum - may give you good results BUT only if you can sell it on. Realistically only the best gems will attract high prices and sums of money on the second hand market which is why this probably only applies to very nice gems.

Do you got any good information about Russian Demantoids as well LD? Value? Market price? How to get hands on them etc? Or where to purchase authentic Russian demantoids? Preferably with papers from GIA or AGL, or atleast some lab that confirms the origin to Russia. The reason I'm asking is for personal use. I find Demantoid from Russia quite interesting as this is one of very very few gemstones that are actually found and mined in Europe.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Wildfish has a nice pair for 22,000. AJ's has a couple 2 ct. jobbers for 12,000. I think you missed the boat on those.

If you have that kind of money you really would be better off with some real estate, especially since interest rates are at an all time low.

I'm done now. :mrgreen:

JewelryLover

Shiny_Rock
GregS|1351362140|3293614 said:
Wildfish has a nice pair for 22,000. AJ's has a couple 2 ct. jobbers for 12,000. I think you missed the boat on those.

If you have that kind of money you really would be better off with some real estate, especially since interest rates are at an all time low.

I did find the pair you were refering to. But yet again, no papers on them. So I dont trust the origin. I have never seen a "Russian" demantoid ever for sale with papers that are confirming the Origin. Most Europeans know how Russia works, so Asian countries that are offering Russian demantoids. I personally really doubt it. I have seen a lot of "Russian" mined demantoids offered from Thai sellers on f.ex ebay, but I do not trust that. So it would be extremely interesting to find a store that are offering Russian demantoids including a Report for it as well. :)

PS! I'm not meaning this in any way that's supposed to be rude. I would just love to see a report for it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelryLover|1351362550|3293619 said:

I did find the pair you were refering to. But yet again, no papers on them. So I dont trust the origin. I have never seen a "Russian" demantoid ever for sale with papers that are confirming the Origin. Most Europeans know how Russia works, so Asian countries that are offering Russian demantoids. I personally really doubt it. I have seen a lot of "Russian" mined demantoids offered from Thai sellers on f.ex ebay, but I do not trust that. So it would be extremely interesting to find a store that are offering Russian demantoids including a Report for it as well. :)

PS! I'm not meaning this in any way that's supposed to be rude. I would just love to see a report for it.

JL you really need to do some learning. Russian Demantoids have been on sale in Europe for many years (with and without papers). Up until the recent find in Namibia, a distinctive feature of the Russian ones was the horsetail inclusions. Personally, Demantoids are not on my wish list and I've seen some lovely ones from different locations. I'm not entirely sure that I would diss the ones that are for sale or dismiss them as not being from Russia.

Typically if you want a report you pay for one. That goes for the majority of stones from the majority of sellers. You won't get the hard work done for you.

JewelryLover

Shiny_Rock
LD|1351363107|3293625 said:

JL you really need to do some learning. Russian Demantoids have been on sale in Europe for many years (with and without papers). Up until the recent find in Namibia, a distinctive feature of the Russian ones was the horsetail inclusions. Personally, Demantoids are not on my wish list and I've seen some lovely ones from different locations. I'm not entirely sure that I would diss the ones that are for sale or dismiss them as not being from Russia.

Typically if you want a report you pay for one. That goes for the majority of stones from the majority of sellers. You won't get the hard work done for you.

You are probably correct. But I cant find Demantoids from Russia in Switzerland, not in Scandinavia (next to Russia), and not in Balkan (the part located in Europe). I've never been in Russia though or any Slavic country. They might be easier to find there maybe. I did just think that because they are charging premium prices for Russian demantoids and not Namibian there would be some type of Report to confirm the Origin. I know about the Horsetail effect of Russian demantoids of course. But without a Report, it's easy to get tricked (at least I am I suppose). It's a huge difference paying $1000 for Namibian, and like $22,000 for a Russian. There should be some type of security if paying that amount.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelryLover|1351363256|3293628 said:

You are probably correct. But I cant find Demantoids from Russia in Switzerland, not in Scandinavia (next to Russia), and not in Balkan (the part located in Europe). I've never been in Russia though or any Slavic country. They might be easier to find there maybe. I did just think that because they are charging premium prices for Russian demantoids and not Namibian there would be some type of Report to confirm the Origin. I know about the Horsetail effect of Russian demantoids of course. But without a Report, it's easy to get tricked (at least I am I suppose). It's a huge difference paying $1000 for Namibian, and like $22,000 for a Russian. There should be some type of security if paying that amount.

Why should there be security? If you buy a car and it breaks next week and you haven't had it checked can you take it back to the person you've bought it from? YOU must do the checks. That's how it works. If something has a lab report then that's a bonus.

I say this with no disrespect but you're all over the place with your posts. Why don't you take some time and learn. Concentrate on one gem for example. Learn all you can and then buy a few and get used to evaluating gemtones with your eyes. Then you'll build up your knowledge from there. Most of your posts contain inaccuracies and wild assumptions. Do this as a hobby - not with an eye on business because at the moment you don't have the skill or knowledge to be able to buy/sell. If you want to turn it into a business take a proper course (there are plenty to chose from) and you can do them long distance if that helps - BUT they're not cheap.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Top color/cut/clarity Namibian Demantoids fetch an awful lot as well.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1351363899|3293633 said:
Top color/cut/clarity Namibian Demantoids fetch an awful lot as well.

Ditto.

JewelryLover

Shiny_Rock
LD|1351363882|3293632 said:
JewelryLover|1351363256|3293628 said:

Why should there be security? If you buy a car and it breaks next week and you haven't had it checked can you take it back to the person you've bought it from? YOU must do the checks. That's how it works. If something has a lab report then that's a bonus.

I say this with no disrespect but you're all over the place with your posts. Why don't you take some time and learn. Concentrate on one gem for example. Learn all you can and then buy a few and get used to evaluating gemtones with your eyes. Then you'll build up your knowledge from there. Most of your posts contain inaccuracies and wild assumptions. Do this as a hobby - not with an eye on business because at the moment you don't have the skill or knowledge to be able to buy/sell. If you want to turn it into a business take a proper course (there are plenty to chose from) and you can do them long distance if that helps - BUT they're not cheap.

I do understand what you mean, sorry. No offence taken :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1351359129|3293574 said:
2012-41=1971. :read:

Oh whoops. For some reason I read it originally as 1941.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Jim, it wasn't the math problem that hit me first, it was the logic. :confused:

Jewelry Lover, I'm wondering what huberus would lead you to believe you know better than the entire gemstone industry?

I think I'm going to start doing my own surgery. Imagine the money I could save on medical bills! :$$):

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Me, I'm going to start my own funeral home/malpractice tort firm. Uppy, can I move to your town? For some reason, I think there might be a flourishing demand real shortly.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results