shape
carat
color
clarity

Heated Sapphires - Your thoughts please?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have a whole gang of them on my ipad! lol I'm sure you can download them anywhere. I'm Italian, and we talk with our hands. So emojis are the next best thing online!!

But I didn’t think emojis worked on PS that weren’t part of the map that they provide. At least when I’ve tried to they don’t show up.

So cool that you’re Italian! As in born there? I speak it and travel there often :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.8ish carats

This is not small. In a vivid blue, it can really pop. Maybe small for a pad or an aqua, etc., but not for a nice blue or a ruby or emerald. Spouse's favorite sapphire is about this size.

I avoid heated because, finally at my current age, I (sort of) can. I agree with others that heat-only is fine. Anything other than heat is a deal-breaker, imo.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not small. In a vivid blue, it can really pop. Maybe small for a pad or an aqua, etc., but not for a nice blue or a ruby or emerald. Spouse's favorite sapphire is about this size.

I avoid heated because, finally at my current age, I (sort of) can. I agree with others that heat-only is fine. Anything other than heat is a deal-breaker, imo.

So I had this moment of madness where I was going to go all out on a 6 carat, unheated. Then I came back to reality and I was like "Wtf are you thinking??? It's freaking blue!!! You hate blue!"

But I really looooove this colour and at this price, it's a nice experiment to test how I feel about blue.

But then..... It's blue... Smallish blue.... But I don't want to test my love (or lack thereof) of blue on a big blue.... Or on an unheated blue that would cost more.... But should I even be experimenting at all???

So the solution is if it checks out as heat only, get a budget but not too weeny halo, test it out and if I really don't like blue, give it to Little Sis and never ever go there again!!!

Little Sis loves blue!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...It's freaking blue!!! You hate blue!"

But I really looooove this colour...

Who paints themself into a corner like this?? :mrgreen2: You obviously do not hate blue. You hate some shades of blue or some connotation of blue or some something else. "This tastes delicious but I know I hate kale!" Guess what? You used to hate kale; you now like it when it's prepared to your liking.

I don't see "standing on principle" around hating a...color in accessories. Lots of other things, maybe, but not a color! :P2

Nope just love it there. We spent about a month in Reggio Calabria! Also went to Tropea and Scilla. Love Southern Italy!

Oh how lovely! It's funny, because I'm southern Italian, but I tend to favor the northern cuisine. Anyway, we didn't get there this year. Hopefully next! Perhaps we'll see you there. ;-)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who paints themself into a corner like this?? :mrgreen2: You obviously do not hate blue. You hate some shades of blue or some connotation of blue or some something else. "This tastes delicious but I know I hate kale!" Guess what? You used to hate kale; you now like it when it's prepared to your liking.

I don't see "standing on principle" around hating a...color in accessories. Lots of other things, maybe, but not a color! :P2

In my experience, there are colors and types of gems I am uninterested in UNTIL the point at which I see a wildly expensive perfect example and then I go "Oh! So THAT is what that is all about!" See: emeralds and rubies, for instance.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you! Haha I feel more justified with my blue experiment now!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Hallo folks!

I don't like blue. I don't like things that are so small, they look like a piece of snot.

@mellowyellowgirl i was at a charity dinner a few nights ago. Someone told me her that Mom - from Hong Kong) said the same thing about small stones! is It A popular simile?
i try not to buy treated stones either (exception made for 10+ ct Muzo with minor oil).

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl i was at a charity dinner a few nights ago. Someone told me her that Mom - from Hong Kong) said the same thing about small stones! is It A popular simile?
i try not to buy treated stones either (exception made for 10+ ct Muzo with minor oil).

Omg we have to see more of this emerald!!!! Are you getting it?

Re snot analogy: That was what my husband said when I showed him a 2ct Burmese ruby I was going to buy. He was all "What are you spending so much on a piece of snot???"

It wasn't badly priced either! You should have seen his face when I told him there are 1ct rubies for $15000!!!

Anyways that's why I went for the rubellite.

But I'm telling myself that this heated blue is a "cheap" project. The stone itself is incredibly cheap if it is truly heat only. It's the setting that will get me. I need to find some sort of peace between a sad little halo and overspending to set a cheap stone. *Sigh*

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Omg we have to see more of this emerald!!!! Are you getting it?
Yes! Getting it for my birthday.
Re snot analogy: That was what my husband said when I showed him a 2ct Burmese ruby I was going to buy. He was all "What are you spending so much on a piece of snot???" It wasn't badly priced either! You should have seen his face when I told him there are 1ct rubies for $15000!!!

So frank and funny! :lol:

Anyways that's why I went for the rubellite.
All”s well that ends well!
But I'm telling myself that this heated blue is a "cheap" project. The stone itself is incredibly cheap if it is truly heat only. It's the setting that will get me. I need to find some sort of peace between a sad little halo and overspending to set a cheap stone. *Sigh*
Yes, that would be challenge… is the sapphire a calibrated size?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's here!!! Basic heat only according to GIA!

I love it!!!!! Not my usual frufru but considering my feelings about blue I did my best to keep the budget as low as I could so I'm locked out of my own bauble thread because it's not big enough lol.

PXL_20221031_215905416.jpg PXL_20221031_215835879.jpg PXL_20221031_215723276.jpg
PXL_20221031_214124046.jpg PXL_20221031_213341614.jpg PXL_20221031_211846238.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your blue snot is positively lovely. :lol: You must've gotten one hell of a deal on the stone if the entire ring came up under 2k. Definitely made the right choice buying it.

Aww thank you!!!

Haha I needed a tough budget ring that I can do housework in!

Hehe here I am chopping spring onions with it on!

Interesting to see what my husband will say. I think he expects frufru now so I'm guessing the reaction might be: oh....is this it? What happened to all the stuff you normally do to the rings?

PXL_20221031_222818127.jpg

Sometimes there's just nothing like a clean (but chunky) diamond halo. It's beautimous... enjoy! Also, what are we whipping up in the kitchen? :cheeky:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I'd post some "warts and all" photos in case anyone looks up budget sapphires one day!

Cloudy grey sky.

PXL_20221101_024945797.PORTRAIT.jpg

Fluorescent lights in a grocery store. The owners thought I was taking pics of their stock so had to stop quickly!

PXL_20221101_023410738.jpg

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely, glowy blue. I think you did very well! But, hey, I love my sapphires!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, glowy blue. I think you did very well! But, hey, I love my sapphires!

Thank you! I was going to go big zircon with all the bells and whistles but I'm glad I didn't.

This makes for a nice everyday ring as it's much tougher than zircon. I'm also finding that it's a nice complimentary right hand ring to all the bigger rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results