shape
carat
color
clarity

hearts and arrows on colored stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
thanks for looking, the amethyst was the Michael Dyber piece with platinum running through the stone and connecting with the plat, and 18k rings. Don't worry those who monitor, it sold so not promoting. It was a 4 way reversable piece so that is why the several views. Micheal Dyber is a clasic exapmple of the American way. Turned down for art school, now may be the most creative cutter in the world. The Scapolite and Aquamarine were cut by a Russian cutter who I have worked with for many years in Thailand. Sorry for those who looked, as the web site is pretty weak. We are better at metal design than web design. New site, and better pictures will be up in a month.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/18/2004 12:21:06 AM yowahking wrote:

There are many great cutters in the world. Wink seems to be related to RIchard Homer, who is good but very expensive. That oval sapphire was great, but the 1970's lost wax setting killed it. Sorry Wink, just playfully jabbing.----------------

Hey, it came in the ring, it stayed in the ring. (Kind of like Vegas, only way more beautiful and not so fleeting.) We just fixed it. For what he delivers, I think Richard to be very reasonable. Those who buy his stones tend to be very happy.
2.gif

Wink

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
crosado,
The hearts and arrows pattern only indicates that the crown mains and the pavilion mains on a stone are lined up. It is more a measure of alignment between the top and bottom of a stone than it is a measure of a stone having proper angles, a great polish or has been cut to maximize weight return from the rough. I just cut a squareish peridot that displays a H&A pattern that I can post tomorrow if you're interested.
In any case, the alignment between the crown and pavilion of any stone, while nice, doesn't guarantee superior beauty. As a matter of fact many stones are designed so that the crown and pavilion are offset by 1 facet, called offset mains, or not aligned at all. They are still just as beautiful if the angles of the crown and pavilion are within a range that allows for high light return.
In most expensive colored stones, such as ruby or sapphire, a main parameter in cutting is to lose as little of the stone as possible. This means that those stones are often cut in the country they originated from with very deep or very shallow step cuts. The deep ones are particularly nice, since it gives us cutters an opportunity to re-cut them and make them really shine.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I never bother much with colored stones (I prefer ICE).

But here is an example from DiamCalc that shows you can cut H&A's in Ruby and Sapphire - 34.5C, 57% table and 42.35 pavilion. looks lousy in the Ideal-Scope though
sad.gif

Ruby and sapp h and arrows.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results