shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts and Arrows 0.70ct D VVS1 vs 0.91ct G IF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tyatt

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

I need some advice. I''ve read through the forum and understand that different people like different things about diamonds: some mind color and some doesn''t. I have two stones that I need to make a decision very soon.

Stone #1
Certification from Gemscan
0.70 carat
VVS1
D color
Excellent Cut

Stone #2
Certification from GIA
0.91 carat
IF
G color
Ideal Cut

The above two stones are both Hearts and Arrows diamonds.

Of course because one stone is D and one is G, when sitting side by side, I can certainly tell the difference between the colors. Does the color affect how sparkly a diamond is?

I really like the 0.91 carat in size. But somehow, G seems to be pretty low in scale on color. I''m not sure if I''ll regret later. Also I like GIA stones much better.

Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

\t

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could you give us at least some basic Sarin information such as crown/pavilion angles? If you are seeing a stark contrast between the 2 diamonds you *may* not be observing color differences but cut differences. There is not a great degree of contrast between a D and G in color. The sparkle or what I would also term the "bling" factor is strictly determined by the cut and the optical properties of the stone. If you want answers we need details.

Peace,

tyatt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comments! I'm going to the store today and will obtain these info and post again (you can tell I'm a newbie at this)

Thanks!
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha... that's ok Tyatt. All newbies are welcome.
1.gif

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Tyatt,
I read your words - I will go back to the store - be careful the prices are usually nuts - not always, but usually. I did a quick check here and found:

.71 D VVS1 $5342.00 - no idea what the numbers (crown and pav. are)
.91 G IF $5020.00 - no idea what the numbers (crown and pav. are)

I'm not sure how that compares to the stones are looking at nor the quality/cut. Are you really set on D and/or IF? Personally, I think it's paying for something you can't see (unless you are trained like some on this site) - but that's just my opinion.

Icelovr

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
There is not a great degree of contrast between a D and G in color.

I have a G and a D about the same size each and I can BARELY tell the difference when placing them side by side and can only tell under certain lighting conditions. Outside in daylight, they're both perfectly icey white and equally beautiful.

FWIW, I wouldn't sacrific an additional .2 in weight to purchase a D color stone because once mounted the color difference is even less obvious (unless of course, the G comes back with less than acceptable crown/pavilion angle ranges - but then I'd probably hunt around a bit more instead of purchasing that D).

Michelle

tyatt

Rough_Rock
Here's the info:

Stone #1:
Certified by GemScan
Hearts & Arrows
5.72 x 5.68 x 3.52mm
0.70 ct
VVS1
D Color
Ideal Cut
Symmetry = Excellent

That's all the info I got. They do not have all the crown/pavillion etc info there. If I get the stone, I'll have to send to some place for an appraisal.

Stone #2:
Certified by GIA
Hearts & Arrows
6.2 x 6.25 x 3.83mm
0.91 ct
Depth = 61.5 %
Table = 57 %
Girdle: MED - STK, F
Cutlet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: IF
Color: G
Fluorecence: None
Key: None
Minor details of polish are not shown

This is all the info I got. I didn't see any crown/pavillion info either.
sad.gif

Thanks in advance!

tyatt

Rough_Rock
By the way, I've my heart set on these two stones. I've browsed around a lot and frankly just wanna settle on one soon.
1.gif
That's why I settled on these two H&As.

IF certainly sounds good....although seems like most poeple here don't think clarity is a high factor for consideration. I don't really care much about color since I can't really tell (except if I compare the D and G side by side. But on a day-to-day basis, who does it except jewellers and appraisers?)....but I also want to get my money's worth too.

Thanks for all the help!!
1.gif

Tek

Rough_Rock
I think it's great that you want IF. However, it would be very hard for you to tell the difference between a VVS1/2 and IF. You are paying a large premium for IF. Also, some VS1's out there are very good diamonds as well with extremely tiny inclusions. If you stay at G color and go down to VVS1-VS1 in clarity, you will get a much bigger diamond.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Taytt
I agree with Tek

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
So I you said you have your heart set on these 2 stones...if that is true...it will be a hard decision...so I couldn't find if you mentioned price...is it the same or is there a difference...

Personally I think that G IF is an odd combo...and I agree wiht others why pay for whay you can't see in term of IF...as you stated you cannot see the diff in color...but IF is overkill in my opinion...

but it is bigger...

You say you have to make a decision soon...is there some special day you are planning ???

I you have even a few days there are many on-line vendors here who can help you get the best combo for a good price plus all the needed data to make the best decision and get it too you quickly...assuming you have already picked you setting
9.gif

BUT if it has to be these 2...I would pick the bigger on for size

BUT I wouldn't pick either without more info on each stone

tyatt

Rough_Rock
The diamond is for my engagement.
1.gif
My boyfriend reserved the bigger one already. I just need to decide which one...and it's a tough decision.

There is a $1500 Canadian difference between the two stones (the bigger one more expensive of course). I won't go the on-line vendor route because of the custom taxes etc as I'm in Canada.

I'm more leaning towards the bigger stone, but not sure if G color is bad or not. When I saw the stone, it seems fine to me. I also thought G/IF is an odd combination too. Too bad they only have this one.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
why the pressure on yourself, why not wait, see other diamonds and make a decison that you like. The decision will last a long time.

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
I guess if these are your final choices, I'd lean more towards the GIA certed one. I haven't heard too many good things about Gemscan. I think ccuheartnurse might have specific examples if I remember correctly, so you might want to PM her.

From your post, it looks like you're more comfortable with the GIA one anyways, and it's bigger. If you've seen both stones, and are okay with the G, then I would go for that one.

I know, customs duties are horrible aren't they?
sad.gif
Do you live in Ontario? If you know anyone in Alberta, you could ship there and avoid the PST.
Up_to_something.gif
Not that I'm suggesting anything....
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, if we only have these to choose from, I'd go with the bigger one. You really shouldn't see any yellow, especially once mounted.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the kind of info available, I would be curious to know WHY is the seller presenting these stones as H&A ? If you want a high color and clarity H&A stones, these could simply not be just that at all.

As for clarity, I would be more at ease with this decision knowing what I am getting. There is a very revealing photo of a VVS2 inclusion versus a dust grain on the GoodOldGold site. This must have been taken for one of the "educational diamonds" there... not sure of the link. But the inclusion was way smaller
1.gif
If you are after the simbolc value of the "Flawless" word, than why not - but this is the only argument for it. As for 'rarity' - well, there are a few If-Fl diamonds on every seller's list...

I can fully understand that you want to get done with it. However, it may take very little time finding out wether these are 'ideal cuts' H&A or not. I would surely like to know.. but taht's just me
4.gif

tyatt

Rough_Rock
The store I went to doesn't have a lot of H&As in stock. Most are over 1 ct and that's way over-the-budget for me. The smaller stone actually has the H&A diagram on it's info sheet. The GIA one does not. I believe GIA does not state explicitly if a stone is H&A or not? I've looked under the magnifying glass and the bigger stone is a H&A. I'll go check later to see how identical are all the hearts and arrows.

The store owner is not in town and will be back next week. When he's back, I'll check again to see if they have any new stones before I make my decision.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok... Those could be great, but THIS is a no-excuse H&A for reference... and there are more where this came from.

It may not be very fair to have your choices limited by the available stock of a certain jeweler. There is no shortage of diamonds in sight, as far as I know.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... and this is the respective inclusion pic (from God Old Gold).
As yu can see, GOG is a very good source for electronic diamond representations, this is why I keep mentioing them and why the site is such a great place to learn about what diamonds owe their value to.

Pinpoint in VVS2 versus dust.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results