shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart Shaped Diamond Question

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
First, I want to thank all of you for all of the education I have received over the years as a long time lurker (and occasional poster)! I hope you realize how much your kindness and dedication means to novices and enthusiasts out here.
I am obsessed with heart shaped diamonds, and I have been looking for one for a pendant. I am a little confused about how the cut is judged. On Blue Nile, you can choose from "good" to "very good", but on the diamond search function on this website, you can pick "excellent". But one B&M retailer told me that technically, heart shapes can't be ranked excellent in cut - and on other on-line retailers, you cant choose a cut grade at all! So I am confused, because I would love the best cut... thanks for your input!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With fancy cuts (like hearts) its less about the numbers and more about what your eyes see. You can find good and bad hearts in "Excellent"
cuts so its really up to you. BTW, all the labelling of hearts (Excellent, Good, and Very Good) is most likely done by the numbers and not by the
look. You really need to take the labelling with a big grain of salt. One vendors "Very Good" is another vendors "Excellent". The "Excellents" are
any better than the other vendor's "Very Good". They are just using different labels for the category.

If you are concerned with the cut and how well the stone performs you need to request an Aset image that gives us an idea of how the stone will
perform.

You can post aset images here for opinions. You can also post links here of hearts to get opinions. You can give your desired specs and budget
and have others look for stones for you. I would suggest looking at Blue Nile, B2C and James Allen.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
With fancy cuts (like hearts) its less about the numbers and more about what your eyes see. You can find good and bad hearts in "Excellent"
cuts so its really up to you. BTW, all the labelling of hearts (Excellent, Good, and Very Good) is most likely done by the numbers and not by the
look. You really need to take the labelling with a big grain of salt. One vendors "Very Good" is another vendors "Excellent". The "Excellents" are
any better than the other vendor's "Very Good". They are just using different labels for the category.

If you are concerned with the cut and how well the stone performs you need to request an Aset image that gives us an idea of how the stone will
perform.

You can post aset images here for opinions. You can also post links here of hearts to get opinions. You can give your desired specs and budget
and have others look for stones for you. I would suggest looking at Blue Nile, B2C and James Allen.
Thank you, tyty333! That makes sense - and I appreciate the recommendations. What do you think of Good Old Gold as a vendor also?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, tyty333! That makes sense - and I appreciate the recommendations. What do you think of Good Old Gold as a vendor also?
GOG always used to be good when Jonathon/Rhino worked there, but he's now moved on to his own company, August Vintage Inc.

I'm not sure how good GOG are now - I'm not aware of anyone using them recently.

Check out the August Vintage website as Jon did have some lovely hearts recently. :)

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, OoohShiny! I think it was Jonathan's videos comparing stones I used to watch years ago, getting better educated about diamonds. Going to check it out now. =)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I’d recommend checking out Jonathan’s video below for an idea of what a nice ASET should look like for a heart-shaped diamond. I know the video is of a MMD, but the light performance would also apply to mined. Start at 4:34 for his assessment of the ASET and the stone’s performance under different lighting sources. Hope this helps in your search.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
I’d recommend checking out Jonathan’s video below for an idea of what a nice ASET should look like for a heart-shaped diamond. I know the video is of a MMD, but the light performance would also apply to mined. Start at 4:34 for his assessment of the ASET and the stone’s performance under different lighting sources. Hope this helps in your search.

oooh thank you!!!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

Fascinating, and about a lab grown diamond! I really don't know anything about those. I see that there are some on his website as well. Must do research!

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
Fascinating, and about a lab grown diamond! I really don't know anything about those. I see that there are some on his website as well. Must do research!

@Fabulous50 This is my diamond and I love it! :kiss2: Jonathan was awesome to work with. I’ve made two purchases with him, an AVR and this heart. I was looking for a mined heart but couldn’t really find what I wanted in my price range. I saw this one on the AV website and the specs caught my eye so I asked him to vet it for me. It’s a crazy little sparkle bomb. Good luck in your search!

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
@AmethystHope Fun video and beautiful stone! Thanks for sharing. To the OP, good luck with your search, I think hearts are a fun shape and from the video see now that they can quite the performer!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@Fabulous50 This is my diamond and I love it! :kiss2: Jonathan was awesome to work with. I’ve made two purchases with him, an AVR and this heart. I was looking for a mined heart but couldn’t really find what I wanted in my price range. I saw this one on the AV website and the specs caught my eye so I asked him to vet it for me. It’s a crazy little sparkle bomb. Good luck in your search!
@AmethystHope, thank you so much!! Did you set it in a pendant? Would you mind sharing a picture? It is a fabulous diamond, I love it! and Jonathan was so excited about it, that was so fun!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@AmethystHope Fun video and beautiful stone! Thanks for sharing. To the OP, good luck with your search, I think hearts are a fun shape and from the video see now that they can quite the performer!
Thank you, @TimMD ! I love having support for this search, because so many people seem to feel that heart shapes are not the most elegant of shapes. I have always loved heart shaped jewelry though and I feel I am beginning to narrow in on what I really want.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I am with you on this journey! Although somehow I missed your post until now lol. It is my HG to have a heart diamond pendant with halo or right hand ring or earrings. But I'm like too, I don't know what to look for. I'm not ready to do the project now but it's on my list. I think hearts are romantic, timeless and ultimate expression of love...either as gift to self or from a loved one. This is exciting :love::wavey::appl:

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
I am with you on this journey! Although somehow I missed your post until now lol. It is my HG to have a heart diamond pendant with halo or right hand ring or earrings. But I'm like too, I don't know what to look for. I'm not ready to do the project now but it's on my list. I think hearts are romantic, timeless and ultimate expression of love...either as gift to self or from a loved one. This is exciting :love::wavey::appl:
Oh yay, @bling_dream19 ! so fun to have company on the journey! I am not in a rush timing wise either, so I will keep this thread updated with any progress I make. :)

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny Thank you for the kind words. Those are the pics of it finished! :))
Ohhhhhh, I thought that was the sales listing pics, they are so good! :) :lol:

I think it looks very wearable, I hope you enjoy wearing it for a long time :))

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Very minor update: my DH came with me to look at heart shaped diamonds. He did not like the pendent, he thought the shape wasn't visible enough with the size diamond I have in mind (approx. 1 carat). He thinks I should go bigger and do earrings instead! Problem is we can't afford TWO diamonds right now, bigger than what I had in mind!! sad :((sad :((:boohoo::boohoo:

It's really sweet of him and he has always been so generous with gifts, so I cant be upset... I feel ungrateful even sharing this update!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results