shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart Buying Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2ndTimeAround

Rough_Rock
I am a complete newbie to this forum, just found it after a big trawl of internet sites looking at various dealers, and will just try to jump straight in and ask a question, and hope that at least 1 or 2 people are feeling helpful enough to answer.

I am about to get engaged for the 2nd time (after my first marriage ended). It is very important for me to ensure that any ring (and particularly stone) is very different (and most importantly better) than the first one, this was:-

Brilliant cut
1.09 ct
H colour
SI

and was non certified.

I am mow looking for a 1.1ct to 1.3ct Heart Shape (to be completely different), which I would like to be :-

At least G colour
VS1 or better
and certified

I gathered a bit of knowledge about diamond purchasing with my ex (who was not known for her low maintenance characteristics)and since I live in the UK where EVERYTHING seems more expensive than it should be, had concluded that Dubai (where I have bought things in the past at fair prices) was the way to go. After reading a few posts here I am not too sure whether I would not be better off coming to the US. I figure from the online sites I have checked with that what I am looking for would be somewhere between $4-$6k via some of the online dealers (correct me if I am way off the mark here).

I am particularly interested in purchasing a complete ring package (i.e. stone plus platinum tiffany setting), but it seems that many of the online US dealers will not accept credit cards originating outside the US. Since UK card issuers are equally laible with a retailer in the event of a dispute (for instance a stone not being as described) it is very important for me to use my credit card (would also like the airmiles that using my amex would bring).

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? Since I assume that i would have to take delivery within the US personally (in order to attmpt to save on sales tax etc.), I would also welcome suggestions for other destinations (worldwide) where I could find competitive prices on the stone I am seeking.

Hope someone can help.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sounds complicated... First, why go anywhere? I doubt that a trip to the US would save you more on the diamond than you will be paying for the trip (unless you have to go there anyway). How about Antwerp (there were Pricescope posts about one cutter and seller there)? At least is closer. There are not so many hart shapes around, so the place to start would be to ask a few sellers (the Pricescope lot will make a good start, I guess, even if you end up buying elsewhere) about what and at what price they can get some for you. What woud you be looking for in a heart cut ? proportions, light return... come to mind.

Hopefully some of the UK buyers around could help with info about what % they had to pay for taxes and such buying from an online, US-based source...

Hope all goes well with your buy
1.gif

PS: you may want to take a look here and try model you desired version of the shape using that nice "fancy shapes selector".

2ndTimeAround

Rough_Rock
Yes was worried about the question of proportion/light return because my honest answer is that I do not know the details of the last one so difficult to benchmark, my somewhat clueless response to this would be something above average, whatever this is.

I travel frequently and making a bit of a side trip wouldnt be too much trouble so I am not too concerned about the cost of a trip, in any event looking at the difference between US online prices and those quoted here in the UK I could fly to LA First Class and still save a little.

Thanks for your pointers though.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
While heart is a very pretty shape, it is VERY unique. Has your girlfriend expressed an interest in this shape? If not, it could be a risky way to go. There are lots of other options if your main goal is to find something that is different than a round... Maybe an emerald cut, or a princess cut? We did a poll recently, and heart did not score as well as some other shapes...

Of course, if you know your girlfriend would like this shape, I'm sure she will be thrilled with it. If not, I just wanted to point out that there might be safer ways to go.

Good luck to you!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here's the results of a quick search I did of diamonds available from Price Scope Vendors. I used 1.1-1.4 carats, F-I color, and VS1-SI1 in clarity.
1.gif

HeartSearch1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There would be two ways to get a hear shape with decent light return and good looks: one - use the service of a seller who tests his stones for light return (GoodOldGold (NY) comes to mind, but most other sellers around here would be able to provide some if not all of that info load) or use intuition and get the stone appraised (not a great solution if you have a day or two for the purchase while abroad.

Intuition... in this case this means that shallow stones below 58% depth or so (a coomon fault of this cut) are out, that symmetry should be good (appealing, and "very good" on GIA cert would be a RARE blessing) and the overall shape close to what you want.

Hope more answers will come...

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
If you or your girlfriend are not set on a heart (difficult to find one with great light return and pleasing shape), why not look at a regent or a princess? Either could be found in NY.
10.gif

2ndTimeAround

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/14/2004 8:33:35 PM caratgirl wrote:

If you or your girlfriend are not set on a heart (difficult to find one with great light return and pleasing shape), why not look at a regent or a princess? Either could be found in NY.
10.gif
----------------

She is definitely very keen on a heart as am I, unless there was a very good reason not to go down this road.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
There is a Cut Chart for Heart shaped diamonds on-line at www.gemappraisers.com.

Another site you can check is www.diamondsonweb.com. Diamonds On Web is a reputable on-line Vendor. You can either buy direct or have the diamond shipped to a DOW jeweler.
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, then that's it! Enjoy the hunt. I am sure any of the pricescope vendors located in NY can help you find the perfect heart.
10.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's more:

G-VVS, 0.9 cts, 62% depth

And here I would look for #39248. I guess #19295 would be the nicest cut on that list but is way smll for you
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Just a little search tip. When looking at the Cert info, look for Very Good or Excellent Symmetry in addition to the physical measurements. Better symmetry tends to yield better performing diamonds.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, PQ! During the last three years I might have got accross one heart shapewith VG symmetry, and no idea where to schoop a Ex one; and at least GIA is rather lenient on the symmetry grading of these cuts (so a Good grade does not mean as much as the same for a round). Hope I am wrong here...

And did anyone mention Icestore ? Here's some merchandise from them.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Val, I think you are absolutely right! My sister is into heart shaped diamonds. We happened to be chatting about them earlier this week. She is planning an upgrade. She was surfing the net, searching sites for HS diamonds and ran across 2 VG's to consider. Sis is looking at much smaller carat weight so she has more possibilities to consider. Her's is not an e-ring. It's a right hand ring. Sis worked with DiamondsonWeb to find her HS diamond. She had 3 brought in to an approved local jeweler for viewing prior to purchase.

When I was doing a quick search last night, I thought I saw 1 with VG symmetry, but it's not on the website today.
15.gif
Maybe it sold and just got removed from inventory last nite.

2nd~ Val made a good point about working with a knowledgeable Vendor to source for you. That may be the quickest way to find the absolute best cut heart diamond available.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results