shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthy Living Thread

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Deegee. Your hair looks great. I wondered if there was a hole in the cap and all of your hair got lightened. I like it a lot. That is too bad your scalp reacts to dye. I hope your hairdresser did round 2 for free.

That’s great you had a lazy day. You deserve it.

I would be nervous about trees breaking and falling in to your house. Generally yours are because of wet roots? Is that right? We get breakage from heavy snow or dried out trees snapping in the wind. Our house has 7 year old trees so they are still small. None of them seem to grow fast. Marty had an umbrella on the deck that the pole snapped in half and wind would swing it around. I was always terrified some gust was going to hurl it through the window. I was delighted when we had our deck stained Marty finally threw all of it out.

I have enjoyed my long weekend. I’m ready to go back to work so I can relax. I did shopping, baking, got thanksgiving cards in the mail and wrote my December article. We are meeting friends for supper tonight. Tomorrow is laundry and lifting.

We have both Thursday and Friday off next week. Another 4 day weekend.

I do see your moms point on you can’t stop living because of a virus. Our friend took his MIL out of the nursing home here and moved her to Arizona with them. She flat out said not being able to see anyone or go anywhere was an absolute living hell on her and she’d never wish that kind of restrictions or loneliness on her worst enemies. Are you guys going to have dinner at her house?

Looks like 3 of us for Thanksgiving here. I bought tenderloins and thought I’d make some kind of potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls and I made mini cheesecake for dessert.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marcy-we are planning to go to mom’s for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. She told me she wouldn’t make it through another lockdown like we had in the spring, and I believe her. I am not a social person, but she is. I genuinely believe you have to consider mental health and do what you feel is the right thing to do. My nephew tested positive yesterday after having mild symptoms, so everyone who has been around him won’t be at dinner. After they’re out, that leaves only 7 of us. We will space out, wear masks, and do our best to be careful. When I was the manager of the death claims section, I saw many death certificates with the cause of death as failure to thrive. That is a genuine concern for me with my mom.

Sorry to be so grim! Happy Thanksgiving!! Happy day off work! Are you putting up Christmas decorations his weekend? I didn’t put anything up outside last year and only had a 4ft real tree inside. We had a beach trip planned for the week after Christmas and didn’t want to bother with having to undecorate before we left. I think we’ll do some lights outside this year, and a small tree inside again. We might do another beach trip after Christmas too. That’s always something to look forward to.

I signed up for a trial of Hello Fresh. We cooked our first meal yesterday, and it was really good. We can’t do much on our own and we eat the same things over and over. I signed up for 3 meals a week, so that will give us a little variety. I made a cherry cobbler for dessert too. I need to knock it off with the sugar. I did so well for so long! It’s addictive, darn it.

I’m off to read a little before bed. Have a wonderful day tomorrow! As lousy as this year has been, there are still things to be thankful for. I’m grateful that Matt and I have stayed really busy with work this whole time, that we’ve been able to successfully work from home, that I have a great guy to be stuck at home with, so far my family has been mostly healthy, and my nephew’s case seems to be mild and I sure hope it stays that way. What a year!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Happy Black Friday! I did not step foot inside a store today, nor did I go near a retail area. I am not a Black Friday shopper. We had a really nice day yesterday. We were able to space out nicely at mom’s and it was like a normal dinner, minus my sister and her kids. My nephew continues to have a mild case of Covid. He has a cough, no taste or smell, and is really tired. His wife works in a Covid unit at a hospital and has to be tested quite often. She has never tested positive. My nephew works in a Pepsi bottling plant, and apparently there are more than 30 people there with it so we’re guessing that’s the source of his infection. He stops by my sister’s every day for lunch (before testing positive), so that whole group of our family is in quarantine.

Milo had his dental surgery today and ended up having 3 teeth removed. Poor kitty! He seems to be feeling okay though. He helped me put laundry away, so that’s normal. I have antibiotics and pain medicine to give him. Medicating cats is no fun.

Since we were up early today, I did 4 loads of laundry and gave the house a thorough cleaning. I sure miss my cleaners! I am thinking that after the first of the year, I will have them come every other week to start with. Matt did yard work all day, and we ended up not having enough energy to go to the farmers market for a Christmas tree or to put up lights outside. That’s on the agenda for tomorrow. Dinner today was leftover turkey and sides. And ooh! I ordered the earrings I thought about for a couple of months. Yay! One pair sold, so I ordered the other. I couldn’t decide between the two, so the one pair selling really helped! Have a wonderful weekend!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Deegee! How did Thanksgiving go with your mom? I am sure having some of her family with her really brightened her day. I totally agree with you mental health consequences from this isolation can and will have long and lasting consequences.

I am not surprised you would see death certificates listed with failure to thrive. That is so sad too.

I think we are putting up our tree this weekend. I am anxious to see the new tree and new lights. I cleared off the mantle tonight for my Snoopy Christmas village. Marty mentioned ordering new lights for outside but hasn't yet; he doesn't want to use what he has because they aren't LED and really run up our light bill. I don't care tho - I like the lights outside. Maybe I'll offer to go buy some LED lights locally if he'll put them up. I can see why you wouldn't want to decorate much if you do go to the beach again for Christmas.

Let me know how Hello Fresh works out for you and Matt. I like their commercial where the couple is so excited they don't have to cook anymore. I'd probably have to order 3 meals for Marty though. Ha Ha.

Did you finish your book? I am almost done with the new Jack Reacher novel.

Good idea to the remember and appreciate things we are thankful for; I also have a lot to be thankful for in spite of this challenging year.

Yesterday day morning I decided to make myself a Belgium waffle. I thought it looked like it still had oil in it but I sadly found out I was wrong. I couldn't pry the top off at first so then I pulled harder and found both top and bottom were completely stuck in all those crevices. I threw that sucker away and told Marty when he got back from the gym I hope he didn't have an emotional attachment to our waffle maker because I threw it out. He's such a smart arse this morning he asked me to make waffles for breakfast. I said okay but first I'm going to Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Our Thanksgiving dinner went well. Marty's client that came over is such a sweet lady. She brought us some red wine. I fixed garlic scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, dinner rolls and relish trays. Marty grilled tenderloins for us. We had mini cheesecake for dessert with cherries, whip cream and chocolate sauce on top. Our investment guy at the bank brought us a pumpkin pie but none of us like pumpkin pie so I froze it for Christmas.

I did a little online shopping today. We do a $20 gift white elephant exchange with my family and Jay Leno's Garage had 25% off today so I ordered a car wax kit for that which was on sale for $19.95. I spent enough to get free shipping. I ordered Marty a few kits with wax, cleaner, detailing, wheels and windows. I picked up a few things for Marty and some friends.

I put the little Christmas trees I ordered for co-workers in Christmas bags and cleaned up the glitter mess from that.

I started on my annual Christmas poem (my form letter for cards) but don't have a lot to say this year since we've been under house arrest.

I can't believe it's Friday. Seems like it is Sunday.

Take care.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Milo is the large kitty in front. 7BECC10F-CE94-467D-B803-AC0E93F0C5DE.jpeg . I see we were posting at the same time, Marcy!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops we were posting at the same time Deegee.

Glad yesterday went well at your mom's house.

I hope your nephew recovers quickly from COVID - you'd think his wife would be more susceptible to catching it given where she works. I know they say some blood types are more likely to get it.

Poor Milo! I hope he feels okay soon. Beautiful kitties.

You had a busy day. Yay for ordering earrings - I can't wait to see them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was a long day but we have decorations up inside. The new tree looks good. The new LED lights are extremely bright. I keep thinking the light is on in the den. The tree is skinnier than the one we had so I didn’t pull out as many ornaments. We also went outside and measured the house, doors, roof, windows and peaks and Marty is ordering commercial grade lights now. I guess it is a long string you cut to fit, add the plugs and screw in the bulbs. Fun! I hope we get them right away and it’s nice enough to put them up this year. I got my PITA battery lights on the mantle placed almost perfect so since I’m too short to see on top of the mantle I had Marty put my Snoopy village up. The bulbs and battery pack are top heavy so they just fall off the mantle. Plus I got both of the light strands twisted together just trying to get them on the mantle. We went out for Mexican food mid afternoon. I ordered a pickup grocery order and they had toilet paper. Limit 1 but I was surprised they had a brand name in stock.

I made my first batch of Christmas cookies too. No wonder I’m tired.

Here is the new tree and lights plus the mantle.

Take care
Marcy

1AEE4905-4E6E-4598-A0F2-4D62A8FA3C32.jpeg BDE898B5-A3C1-4CA0-96C0-038359DBA08B.jpeg

Last edited:

beatricecrummles

Rough_Rock
Did
Happy rainy Saturday! I don’t mind a good rainy day every now and then. It gives me an excuse to be lazy and sit around in my jammies watching Netflix all day.

Marcy-I’m glad you’re feeling better. We’ve been having some strong winds, but not bad enough to knock semis over! Wow! Our deck furniture has moved around, and we have a tree that has fallen but got caught by another tree. It makes me nervous, but Matt promises me it won’t hit the house. In my mind, I see the tree holding it up breaking, and both trees flying down the hill into the house, which could happen if we had winds like you get!

Did you enjoy your two weekdays off? Are you planning to take off any next week? I’m planning to work through Wednesday and maybe Friday. I have to drop Milo at the vet at 7am on Friday for his tooth extraction, so I may end up working that day too. Unless I come back home and go back to bed! Do you have plans for Thanksgiving? Mom wants Thanksgiving as usual, which makes me nervous for her. She nearly gave up the will to live back in the spring, and now firmly believes we can’t stop living because of the virus. We’ll have to be extremely careful.

My hair was quite a shock. I have been having reactions to my monthly root dye for a while now. My scalp turns bright red and it burns for several days. My hair grows so fast, you can already see grey roots after just a week. I told her not to dye the roots this time and to add subtle grey highlights to the rest of my hair. I kept telling her I thought she was pulling to much hair through the cap, but she promised it would be very subtle. Turns out, what she was referring to as subtle was the difference between my roots and the rest of my hair. We had very different outcomes in mind! While it did look very cool, I don’t have the completion for white hair. She added brown back, but it is very light. It’s very dry and frizzy, so I’ve been using a lot of leave in conditioner.

Have a great weekend!

1BBFC03F-A74F-4B89-B7A2-A3D158406FBF.jpeg
Did your scalp have burns from the hair color? The hair treatment was strong I guess. How did you soothe your scalp?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I have been back in the office so far this week and forgot how cold that place is in the winter. I am still so cold I have on sweats plus an extra sweatshirt right now. I hate to turn on the fireplace since I have plastic LED trees and my Snoopy Village on the mantle and whatever the bottom of the fireplace is called. It is super windy again so it is really chilly out. Snow only made it as far ass about 20 miles west of us so that's a good thing. I am working from home the next 2 days.

I finished my Christmas poem a while ago. I needed about 4 more lines so I had to put in some goofy stuff to fill in the space; it's not like we did anything new or exciting this year.

I made a grilled cheese sandwich for supper. Quite tasty and quick to cook. Sweet.

Take care.
Marcy

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marcy-your tree and mantle look beautiful! I absolutely love the colored LED lights. All of us (5 houses) on our street decorated outside with colored LED lights and it’s so pretty. Some of our neighbors went hard core with the decorating. One neighbor owns a construction company, and brought home a man lift to decorate. He loaned it to others on the street, so we’re seeing lights in high places that we’ve never seen before. I love it! We would have borrowed it too, but we didn’t have lights for the house. Maybe next year. We have lots up outside. We bought a 5ft tree instead of our usual 12 ft tree, and I love it too. I’ll take pics. Did you get your outside lights?

I downloaded the first Jack Reacher book. I haven’t read any of those. Mom told me not to think about Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher...I can’t stand him!

Sorry your work is so cold. I was only in my new office Oct-February and I was really sick for most of that time, so I don’t remember if it’s hot or cold! I guess I don’t need to worry about that until after the first of the year. We had about 3 inches of snow yesterday, freezing rain this morning and lots of wind. I sure didn’t complain about working from home! I am not ready for winter.

I got my earrings today. I really like them. They fall right about where I wanted them. They’re really small, but I like small earrings for everyday wear. I probably should just wear my studs, but I wore them and no other earrings for so many years that I want something different. I like my dangly earrings, but sometimes I just want something more plain. I know that probably makes no sense.

Our Hello Fresh meals have been really good, but we’re cooking way more than we’re used to. You get all of the ingredients for the meal along with a recipe card and you have to do all the work. We’re having fun with it right now, actually cooking a meal together. After only being married 26 years, we’re enjoying preparing meals at home. Who knew? Last night we had beef bulgogi meatballs with roasted carrots, jasmine rice, and sriracha crema. It was tasty.

Have a wonderful evening. Stay warm!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deegee, I bet your street looks fabulous with all the houses decorated. How nice to have a lift to help decorate. Our last house had really high peaks; this house makes me nervous enough seeing Marty on the roof. The back of our house is a tall 2 full stories so that would be tough too. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your tree.

So far we have the bulbs, clips, electrical plugs but nothing else yet. Hopefully everything will arrive by Friday and Sunday looks like we will have decent weather that day. Maybe just maybe Marty will get the house decorated that day.

The Jack Reacher books are usually an easy and quick read and yes don't think about Tom Cruise as Reacher; he is nothing like the character is described. I can't say I am a Tom Cruise fan either. I started the latest Michael Connelly book yesterday.

Glad you didn't have to venture out in the snow especially with the ice. That does make it nice to be working at home then.

That's great you like your new earrings; I like dangles a lot too. I only got our my ruby band and ering today. I was lazy.

How fun to enjoy cooking the Hello Fresh meals together. I guess I didn't realize you had to cook them; I thought they were just microwave dinners. That might be another company I'm thinking of for that. That's nice they have everything you need included. i cooked Culver's for lunch today. I think I'll thaw out some sirloin steak to grill tomorrow since I'm here at lunch.

Not much new with me. We had horrible wind today so I worked in the den first thing so I could go rescue our trashcan as soon as the truck came by; I didn't want to track it it down later. I was rather busy with work so the day zipped by. I lifted after I logged off work and had a banana for supper so far.

I did finish my annual Christmas poem today and hope to get Marty's input before printing it out. Then I can start working on Christmas cards.

Take care.
Marcy

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    A Perspective on Pearls- Vol. I
    A Perspective on Pearls- Vol. I
    Quarter Century Anniversary Upgrade
    Quarter Century Anniversary Upgrade
    Diamonds and the Movies – Watchlist (Part 1)
    Diamonds and the Movies – Watchlist (Part 1)

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.